Are mail-in rebates a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally believe that a lot of companies that offer rebates are purposely scamming their customers by tossing out about half of the rebate forms that are sent in, on the hopes that most people will forget about it or figure it's not worth their time to pursue it. And there really is no way for the average person to prove that they are doing this. But I still have this strong belief that this is going on a lot more than we think, especially considering how many people have had trouble getting their rebates even when they follow the proper procedure fully.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Rebates usually aren't a scam but they are a royal pain in the neck.

I have to agree with that. When I have gotten around to sending them in, I nearly always get them without any reminder. As for marketing, yes. Staples is bad about spamming you. You need to be careful to opt out of things many times.

Any larger company with a policy of stiffing people on rebates will eventualy get caught, and the lawyers a bonanza in a class action suit. Also the state AG's looking to move up to governor would be on them.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I personally believe that a lot of companies that offer rebates are purposely scamming their customers by tossing out about half of the rebate forms that are sent in, on the hopes that most people will forget about it or figure it's not worth their time to pursue it. And there really is no way for the average person to prove that they are doing this. But I still have this strong belief that this is going on a lot more than we think, especially considering how many people have had trouble getting their rebates even when they follow the proper procedure fully.

I read a thread about a UPS guy in Arizona that said the same thing. He would deliver a bunch of stuff to a mail in rebate company's office. he would see a stack of rebates unopened on a crate waiting to be thrown out.

Here's an interesting one from Mobil for the month of May.

Mobil 1 $10 Mail-In Rebate Offer
Offer Conditions: All rebate requests must be received by June 15, 2009. Limit two (2) rebates per household. Rebates can be combined in one envelope. Limited to purchases made at these participating retailers:

- ABC Auto Parts - Orscheln Farm & Home
- All Car Automotive Warehouse - Pat Young Service
- ALS Distributing - Prime Automotive Warehouse
- Aspa Management - Riebe's Auto Parts
- Barrco Automotive Warehouse - Robbins Auto Parts
- Bennett Auto Supply - Robert Elgart & Sons
- Benny's Inc. - Rodi Automotive
- Bi-Lo Wholesale - Ron Berger Sales
- Bond Auto Parts - Runnings Supply
- Campbell Supply - Salvo Auto Parts
- Certified Automotive - Smith Auto Parts
- Dana Automotive Inc. - Superior Warehouse
- Direct Distributors Inc. - Trimon
- Frank Millman Dist. - Twinco
- Hovis Auto & Truck Supply - Uni Select
- KOI - Uni Select d/b/a Consumer Auto Parts
- L&M Supply - Uni-Select USA
- Levin's - Uni-Select USA - Indy
- MAWDI - Uni-Select USA - Dallas
- N/C Auto Parts - United Auto Supply
- National Auto Stores - United Hardware
- National Performance Warehouse - VIP, Inc.
- Neptune Warehouse Distributors, Inc. - Walker Auto Stores
- New Era Marketing - West Springfield Auto Parts
- Nexcom - WM Automotive
- NSC (dba) NWL

I've only heard of a few of these, but have never seen any of them around here. This kinda makes me wonder why Mobil even bothered.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Rebates usually aren't a scam but they are a royal pain in the neck.

That sums it up for me also.

50% or so is my personal record so no thanks; I'll use coupon before rebates. I am still waiting for rebates from 3M for a Filtrete furnace filter and Chevron for Techron, five years or so later.

Remember the paperwork is sent to a 3rd world country for data entry. The PO Box is just a mail drop where the stuff is crammed into a shipping container.

I've been 90%+ successful. Only followup phonecall was on that free maxlife 5 years ago: WM printed "motor oil" on the receipt instead of something more specific like "valvoline" and even though the UPC was "their number" it bounced the first time. A call straigtened it out.

I got my Dad a scanner on black friday from best buy, $80 minus $70 rebate, there was some issue that preempted my even mailing the rebate and I explained it to customer service and got my $$ then and there. Back when they were a new store and trying to compete.
wink.gif

32.gif
I put my pep boys peak rebate check postcard into a bank of america ATM "check slot"-- you don't use an envelope, it scans the check, shows you an image, and you confirm the $$$ amount. It didn't like where they printed the $$ amount and just swallowed the check! Had to call them and they're launching an investigation.
smirk2.gif

32.gif
This is outside the scope of the initial question but the online rebates from rite aid and walgreens work slick. I look at it as a way of limiting items one to a customer.

My general rule is that I won't buy anything for a price that I wouldn't anyway, even with a rebate. I don't buy much in terms of electronics and whatnot, and usually buy last years has beens anyway ...already on the extreme discount shelf. I don't put out cash in speculation of future needs/avoided costs unless it's really a bargain at the point of sale otherwise. Any rebate action would have to be a bonus to compel me to willingly part with the money. I've got too many places for it to go.

I'm of the opinion that if they truly wanted to give you a rebate then they could just put the coupon or whatever stuck to the product you are buying which is instantly redeemable at the cash register when you purchase it.

Enough with making the Government rich in sales tax and/or never getting your rebate back.

mad.gif
I hate rebates!!!! I too am waiting on stuff that still hasn't come over the years and actually avoid 'rebate' offers on products. Even if a competitors product costs a little more, just to prove my point.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
mad.gif
I hate rebates!!!! I too am waiting on stuff that still hasn't come over the years and actually avoid 'rebate' offers on products. Even if a competitors product costs a little more, just to prove my point.

One of the reasons I don't shop at Pep Boys.

I will not buy anything that has a rebate involved. If they want to get my attention, give me a lower price at the checkout.

It can be a fun and profitable distraction for stuff that you're going to buy anyway. It sure can clutter the to-do list when you already feel like Mr. Ginsu and you're not a kung-fu master. I know the last thing I need is more documentation to keep track of. I like all of my plates to spin themselves.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I know the last thing I need is more documentation to keep track of. I like all of my plates to spin themselves.

I don't keep records on rebate applications. I fill the forms out exactly per instructions and submit all requested documentation stapled to the main form with each requirement high lighted and an arrow pointing to the required documentation. My success rate is at least 90%. The only large rebate I have ever been hosed on was a $50 Perpboys rebate. I understand that's common with Perpboys.

I also don't bother with rebates less than $5.

Ace rebates are very easy if you have their loyalty card. You just log into the website, click the appropriate set of rebates, and check whatever ones you got. Thats it. It takes a few days for them the confirm it, but there is no paper involved.

Ace rebates are supposed to be very easy with their loyalty card, but the only rebate I had problem with is Ace's. Over the years I received most, if not all, rebate checks from Kragen, Pepboys, Amazon and many manufactures, but never received a rebate check from Ace.

Like XS650, I also don't bother with rebates less than $5.

I generally don't bother with rebates. The M1 and QS rebates were really good deals so I sent those in. We'll see if they deliver. If M1 comes through I'll probably pick up another 5 quarts with the 0W30 rebate.

I have never had problems with getting rebates back other than it sometimes takes a while. But some I have gotten back faster than I expected. Other than the hassle factor of filling them out to the letter they are alright.

I got enough free Pennzoil Platinum and Puralator filters from First Driver's and PepBoys to float a VW Bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back