Are magnetic drain plugs worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
For those of us with a 4.0L Jeep engine, the Iron King, the magnet would probably be benefitial compared to these newer cars with aluminium blocks/heads.

I'd think that most aluminum blocks would still use a stronger cylidner liner (Honda uses centrifugally-cast iron liners in the K-series engine).

Chris Meutsch said:
"Let's say your car lasts for 10,000 years.
Geologists have proven that magnets from back then point to the South pole instead of the North.
Would your magnet then lose its magnetism after this period? What about replacement costs on magnets in the year 12,000 AD?
These are things to consider."

Now I know why the magnets I put on my fuel line didn't increase my fuel mileage---I was using north-pole attracted magnets instead of the old south-pole attracted magnets!!!
lol.gif

Silly me.

Back on point, I use the magnets on my oil filter and drain plug. And yes, I've seen the positive results of those magnet placements. But I really should investigate getting some of those south-pole attracting magnets.

I thought it was the chromium content of austentic stainless steels that made them non-magnetic?

Anyway (to Al) I drop the magnet directly into the filter. It can't come out. Although I've used cow and stirrer magnets there are filter magnets sold just for this purpose.

quote:

Originally posted by Blake Sobiloff:
Subsequent oil changes had almost no "spikey hairs"; instead, the magnet was covered with something the consistency of toothpaste. No grit to it between my fingers, though.

Not at all hard to believe. Presuming a well run-in engine equipped with an oil filter, the particulates trapped by the magnet would represent wear metals too small to be caught by the filter. Stuck to the magnet they might form "spikey hairs" (magnetically formed "Lego stacks"), but even that's not assured since circulating oil might "erode" them down to a more uniform "landscape" as trapped on the magnet. In any event, I think particles in the roughly 20µ and smaller size would likely be too small to affect much of a gritty tactile sensation - least ways your experience in that regard parallels my own with the crud trapped by the "SUPER PLUG" I run on my Hyundai's 2.7L V6.

My GMC motor came from the factory with one but I took it off to use the Sure Drain.

Never had anything on it after the 1st oil change.
dunno.gif

Don't miss it...

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I posted earlier and said I didn't know the brand of magnet I use that goes inside the filter...it's Magna-Guard. I highly recommend it since in most filters, you can pull it out w/ needle nose pliers, clean it, and re-use it. It has many times more surface area than a drain plug magnet. They are nice too but just be careful, I bought a cheap drain plug magnet and it slightly dissolved in the oil in just one 5k mile run.

I bought some high temp Neodymium Magnets from K&J Magnetics. Then I just epoxy them on my drain plugs. Lot less expensive when you want to put them on multiple drain plugs on multiple cars.

When used for the engine oil, I think they just serve as early warning devices. I believe the filter will catch most of the material that ends up on the magnets.

For the curious:

Ferromagnetism is the "normal" form of magnetism which most people are familiar with, as exhibited in horseshoe magnets and refrigerator magnets, for instance. It is responsible for most of the magnetic behavior encountered in everyday life. All permanent magnets are either ferromagnetic or ferrimagnetic, as are the metals that are noticeably attracted to them.

Diamagnetism

Paramagnetism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back