Magnetic drain plug failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What possible advantage is there to an aluminum drain plug?

Weight savings for faster lap time around the racetrack lol.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Yes, I do not use a torque wrench. I always use exactly the same small socket wrench to tighten the plug and know the right force to apply. Never had a plug failure until this cheap plug. All I know is that once I looked under the car - plug was not there and there was oil dripping from all underneath the car behind the drain hole. I'm just glad it did not mess up my oil pan threads. New drain plug went in and felt a lot less fragile during tightening.

That engine uses a replaceable crush washer, that you replace every oil change, correct? Are you replacing the crush washer at every oil change? I work on a similar year Toyota that has a crush washer, perhaps yours is similar?

I usually get a pack of universal washers that fit my drain plug nicely. Not OEM though.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm going to make a couple. I'll post pics.

Easy project to bore a .255-.260" hole in each drain plug if you have a lathe.

I worked on jets that used aluminum mag plugs on the turbine starters and they broke often. They'd snap off at the weakest point, the bottom of the bore where the magnet was seated. Mechanics over-torquing, not using a torque wrench, was determined to be the root cause of these plug failures. These were high quality aircraft parts made in the USA by quality ISO certified manufacturers.

My point? That China made plug was doomed before it was ever taken out of the package.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
"Freed itself and got lost" doesn't sound like a part failure...

Sounds more like a problem with the installation...particularly the torque...

+1 here. This sounds more like one(or both) of two things:

1 - Improper installation
2 - [censored]/incorrect washer. The first thing I thought when looking at that link is "ugh that washer looks terrible, and where the heck is the rubber o-ring??"

...you say it failed after "failed after 8 oil changes" - Did you keep reusing the same washer that was supplied with the drain plug? If so, I'd start there.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
If using an aluminum plug, maybe wrap teflon tape around 4 threads nearest the head to seal and snug it.
I would worry about teflon tape ending up in the pick up screen.
Should be fine if you limit the teflon tape to the threads near the head of the bolt so none sticks into the sump oil.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I got my Dorman at a local Baxter Auto Parts for ~$6

I see on Dorman's site that they have their version of a Fumoto

I was surprised when I saw that it wasn't a Dorman part that failed.

Originally Posted By: miden851
the only thing I noticed is diminishing its magnet power I'd say because it collects fewer particles in comparison when was installed the first time.

I would think that's more then likely that the first time you go all the built up contaminants.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'm going to make a couple. I'll post pics.

Easy project to bore a .255-.260" hole in each drain plug if you have a lathe.

I don't have a lathe, i'm going to put it in a drill press vise and drill it. I will freeze the magnet pin and use a touch of jb weld, its rated to 500f.

If using an aluminum plug, maybe wrap teflon tape around 4 threads nearest the head to seal and snug it.
I would worry about teflon tape ending up in the pick up screen.
Should be fine if you limit the teflon tape to the threads near the head of the bolt so none sticks into the sump oil.

+1
Teflon tape at the very end only makes perfect seal for my aftermarket atf magnetic drain plug on aftermarket dorman atf pan. The drain plug supplied with dorman pan was not magnetic. Tried several washers they all dripped. Tried teflon around threads still dripped and really gueeeee meshy at change time. Using teflon only at the very end near the head several times round and round made a nice little washer. No drips finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back