Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been changing oil in vehicles since 1966. At first I used LEE oil filters because the local autoparts store carried that brand only, pre Walmart and chain autopart store days
smirk.gif
. After time I was able to purchase Fram oil filters and did so. I looked at them as a big step forward. Used them faithfully. After I got my 1989 F-150 and 1996 Contour I started noticing that I was experiencing loud start up noises on both vehicles. I thought it was the oil and went from dino to Mobil 1 in the hopes of better cold start up flow. The noise was still there on both vehicles. I finally "broke" down and went back to the Motorcraft recommended oil filters and the start up noise TOTALLY disappeared
ooo.gif
. I'm not saying that Fram oil filters will destroy your engine but in my two cases that start up noise from lack of oil can't be good for the wear on the engine. And now the Motorcraft filters are less expensive than even the Fram's in the orange can
wink.gif

Whimsey

Quote:

Quote:

Two small-block Fords and one 22R Toyota all of which Fram had to pay for so your assumption that people who say Fram oil filters are junk are ------ is just wrong. Yes, the two 5.0 Fords were about 10yrs ago. Can you tell me what Fram has done to improve quality since then? I'm sure other filter makers have had filter problems but Fram got their notorious reputation from poor construction as well as trying to condense their filter applications down too much. One filter failure that causes an engine to blow is too much for me to continue to use or reccommend them and it doesn't matter to me who the filter company is.

You say 3 filter failed - out of how many? How many filters does Fram sell in a year - times how many years have they been in business? Boy I wish I had those odds in Vegas!

Quote:

Fram is probably number one as far as sales in mass-merchant chains like Wal-Mart but it has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with a low price;slick advertising and a market that knows little if anything about filter construction.

I'd agree with that and it's one of the reasons I usually don't use them anymore, except usually (at least in my area) Fram is MORE expensive than most others.

Quote:

Iknow some people use them and haven't had a problem and that's usually their basis for saying Fram must be a good filter. Their experience is limited to their own cars and at most maybe a few friends. After working in the industry for 20 yrs and handling more filters than most do-it-yourselfer's will ever see, I can at least say my experience is broader than just changing my own oil and cutting the filter open.
smirk.gif

20 whole years, huh?
smile.gif
I've got dinks in my toolbox that are at least twice that old.

Quote:

Based on my experience with them, YES.

So what experience exactly are you talking about? Have you ever used them on your own engines?
Personally I have more respect for someone that states - 'I was driving my (fill in the blank) and the engine died due to a bad filter' than someone who has heard stories or reports about them.

You told Bill in another post that he was very lucky, and that "HE has been good to you." I guess "He" has been good to a lot of people, myself and many other people I know.

If you are going to say every filter that fails is garbage - what filter are we to use? I can show you "stories" of virtually every brand of filter failing.

I'm not interested in "stories" you have to tell. Give me your first-hand experiences of filters that have failed. I gave mine and now I wait for yours. Perhaps 20yrs is nothing to you but that isn't the issue. What other brands have you seen fail and cause extensive damage? That is the question.
As far as the drinks that are in your toolbox that are twice as old as 20yrs; that says nothing for you other than you are a nasty,unorganized slob of a mechanic. Clean the pigsty up before you expect customers to bring their nice cars to you.
You post has offered nothing but a feeble attempt to change the subject of Fram's quality.
nono.gif

My dad owe a 1982 Coupe De Ville and since 1985 has always used Fram and never yes NEVER has had any problem with them
Besides we have a bussines here in Mexico City and we have always sold Fram since 1980 first they were made here in Mexico, there was an assembly plant in Monterrey, Mexico but it doesn't make any oil filters anymore
since then we only get filters made in the us & canada
we sell about 8000 filters per year and less then 5 give any problem at all!
so what is the percentage of failure? less then 5 out of 8000?
i don't think they're really that bad
about the construction mmhhh i don't really know
price: well here in mexico it's not expensive in comparison with local brands
and with k&n it's way cheaper
so in my opinion i think it's one of the best choices we can get in the country of the beans!

For the money I would not buy them. I found Pennzoil oil filters which are Fram for 2 for $4. I bought those because that's what Fram should cost. I'll change those out at 3000miles.

Quote:

I'm not interested in "stories" you have to tell. Give me your first-hand experiences of filters that have failed. I gave mine and now I wait for yours. Perhaps 20yrs is nothing to you but that isn't the issue. What other brands have you seen fail and cause extensive damage? That is the question.
As far as the drinks that are in your toolbox that are twice as old as 20yrs; that says nothing for you other than you are a nasty,unorganized slob of a mechanic. Clean the pigsty up before you expect customers to bring their nice cars to you.
You post has offered nothing but a feeble attempt to change the subject of Fram's quality.
nono.gif

First of all, you need to learn to read. Go back and read my post again! I didn't say "drinks" in my toolbox, I said DINKS! You know, little dents from the wear and tear of being used multiple times over MANY decades! Maybe you are the one that had one too many!

I used to work for a tow company that also had a repair shop. I've seen an engine with 30K on it being replaced when the filter collapsed. Care to guess what filter it was? No it wasn't Fram. It was Purolator.

One time a customer brought in a car because it was making "funny noises". It had virtually no oil pressure. Took the oil filter off, cut it open and to no ones surprise it had collapsed. Filter brand? Napa. That engine did not get replaced - only because the customer had decided to trade it in. She decided it would be less headaches getting a newer car than fighting with a large company to replace her engine.

Have you personally ever used a Fram? Judging by your remarks I'd say no. So all you have is hear say. I have used them for many HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of miles. Over the last 55 years I've had a lot of vehicles! On many of the vehicles I used an orange Fram filter and had (or have) 200 -300K or more miles. But you call that luck! Literally millions of miles using a filter you say is junk.

Do a search on this very forum and see the problems people have had with various filters. A while back someone had problems with AC Delco filters. If you eliminate all the brands people have had problems with what is left?
Once again - you mention 3 engines. Answer my question - How many millions of Frams are sold every year? How about over the last 20 years? 3 out of hundreds of millions of filters?!

I'm not saying you and everyone else should rush out and buy a case of the orange cans. As mentioned before there are much better deals out there, and frankly I have had problems with the orange Frams and startup noise with a couple of my Fords.
But to say the filters are a POS because 3 filters were bad is just wrong!

We've bought a few engines over the years I've been here. Probably no less than, or more than the other manufacturers on average.
crushedcar.gif
deadhorse.gif

Quote:

Quote:

nono.gif

First of all, you need to learn to read. Go back and read my post again! I didn't say "drinks" in my toolbox, I said DINKS! You know, little dents from the wear and tear of being used multiple times over MANY decades! Maybe you are the one that had one too many!

I used to work for a tow company that also had a repair shop. I've seen an engine with 30K on it being replaced when the filter collapsed. Care to guess what filter it was? No it wasn't Fram. It was Purolator.

One time a customer brought in a car because it was making "funny noises". It had virtually no oil pressure. Took the oil filter off, cut it open and to no ones surprise it had collapsed. Filter brand? Napa. That engine did not get replaced - only because the customer had decided to trade it in. She decided it would be less headaches getting a newer car than fighting with a large company to replace her engine.

Have you personally ever used a Fram? Judging by your remarks I'd say no. So all you have is hear say. I have used them for many HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of miles. Over the last 55 years I've had a lot of vehicles! On many of the vehicles I used an orange Fram filter and had (or have) 200 -300K or more miles. But you call that luck! Literally millions of miles using a filter you say is junk.

Do a search on this very forum and see the problems people have had with various filters. A while back someone had problems with AC Delco filters. If you eliminate all the brands people have had problems with what is left?
Once again - you mention 3 engines. Answer my question - How many millions of Frams are sold every year? How about over the last 20 years? 3 out of hundreds of millions of filters?!

I'm not saying you and everyone else should rush out and buy a case of the orange cans. As mentioned before there are much better deals out there, and frankly I have had problems with the orange Frams and startup noise with a couple of my Fords.
But to say the filters are a POS because 3 filters were bad is just wrong!

One of the better posts I've read on this site.
thumbsup.gif

Thats scary when filter companies say "Weve bought a few engines over the years". Makes you feel like no matter what your in the lottery to possibly get a winner(loser) with any brand.

Same comment can be made for ANY consumer product. Be it a toaster or an automobile to a house or a horse. At least if it's caused by our filter, we'll fix it. Can't say that about many other things can you?

Exactly Pete.

People think FRAM's fail more often simply because FRAM produces more filters, and has more failures as a result. People report product failure at an amazingly higher rate than product success. If you sell more products, you will have more products fail on your customers.

I still don't understand how a faulty oil filter can smoke and engine--even if the filter media collapses, it's still porous and will still flow oil, and if the back-pressure becomes great enough for some reason the bypass valve will open, right?--Can anyone explain this to me? (Pete C.?)

Quote:

I still don't understand how a faulty oil filter can smoke and engine--even if the filter media collapses, it's still porous and will still flow oil, and if the back-pressure becomes great enough for some reason the bypass valve will open, right?--Can anyone explain this to me? (Pete C.?)

You're assuming a clean breach. Suppose the media turns into a sail and the center tube collapses ..blocking the outlet?? Suppose it doesn't have a bypass valve and the owner of the SBC or BBC decided to defeat the in block bypass?

It's extremely rare ..so rare that it gets a great deal of attention when it happens. (see other posts about anomalies).

So, if the owner defeasts the bypass valve, the failure is the owners fault and NOT FRAMS.

Without picture proof, I won't believe ANY catastrophic failures. Sorry, too much hearsay spread over and over on the net.

Filter failures do occur. Thats the effect from mass assembly line productions for a <$5 product. All brands have issues. Now, since Fram is probably one of the biggest suppliers, they seem to be getting a bad rap. I wonder which filter manufacturer has the 'lowest' failure statistics.

Quote:

First of all, you need to learn to read. Go back and read my post again! I didn't say "drinks" in my toolbox, I said DINKS!

I will only offer the comment that attention to detail is a skill that I desire in any mechanic who is going to work on my car.

Pete, I know what your saying but after I changed oil today,I cut my oil filter apart today, quite a messy job, Its pretty simple in there. Pretty hard to really mess anything up to destroy a engine. It was a Purolator L14670. The whole reason I did it was The Pureone I had for this oil change had a dent on the bottom and I wanted to see if it would be in area inside to effect anything, its a small dent on the center of the bottom, doesnt look like it will effect the filters function so I installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back