Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill-

Sure, the tone towards Fram may be a little harsh around here. I don't think that anyone has intentionally implied that a Fram oil filter will hurt an engine, without proof.

However, even you admit to not using them anymore. To me, that says a lot right there. For a business like Fram to lose a long time customer like you, that's a problem.

Most folks recommend the use of something other than a Fram. Sure seems to be solid advice to me, and that seems to be advice that even you can stand behind.

After looking at the flimsy, poorly constucted air filter that Fram sells for my truck, I won't buy any more of their air filters either. I vote with my $$$.

Personally, I respect your opinion and your knowledge.

from my experience of owning vehicles for the last 30 yrs. Fram has consistantly gave me problems the last 11 yrs. This is the orange standed filter as well as the silver one I think its called the tough guard. In the early frams I found spitball size paper wads in my oil drain pan on more than a few occastions. Finally I tried the Silver filter on my exterra it knocked on start-up. When I change the oil recently I used high end purolator (blue can)I think it a pureone no problems on startup. That was the final straw for me!

Quote:

Bill-

Sure, the tone towards Fram may be a little harsh around here. I don't think that anyone has intentionally implied that a Fram oil filter will hurt an engine, without proof.

I would say no one has STATED that, but they sure have implied it. Look at some of the post of this very thread.

Quote:

However, even you admit to not using them anymore. To me, that says a lot right there. For a business like Fram to lose a long time customer like you, that's a problem.

You might want to go back and read what he said again. He said:
"Do I use them now? No. Why? Like 777 said above, just as good or better filters for less $$."

He didn't say he WOULDN'T use them again.
I too have used both orange frams and the TOugh Guards for many years with NO problems - other than a little valve train noise on startup. I agree 100 percent with Bill - I no longer use them because there are better filters for less money - and frankly orange isn't my favorite color!
smile.gif

Last edited:
"Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?"

Bad???!!!!

How about civilzation altering.

Look at what happened the last time I used one:

nuke.gif

Quote:

"Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?"

Bad???!!!!

How about civilzation altering.

Look at what happened the last time I used one:

nuke.gif

^^
crackmeup.gif
funny

thats what will happen to your engine if you use it.
grin.gif
bwahahahaha

Its a bit different in Canada. Here, Frams and their 'clones' are the best-priced filter by a wide margin, so I think they are a better value.

Canadian Tire - Motomaster Filter = $3.94; Equivalent Fram EG is $4.50. Next up the line, from what I can see, is the QS filter, which is $6.99, almost twice the price of the MM. Is the QS twice as good as a generic Fram? I don't think so....been using Frams and their clones in my rides for years, and have yet to have a problem.

NAPA Gold are probably a better filter, but NAPA is not a store that is easy to fnd in Ottawa....Fram is much easier to find......

i also live in CANADA and have used FRAM filters for many years ..but after reading some of the topics on this site ,i have second thoughts ..i used to use a FRAM PH 3980 from CANADIAN TIRE store but now have gone back to AC DELCO PF52 ..it seems to be of better quality [also $3.00 more]

The picture above is TG filter. Sorry I can't see if the media is 10um type or not
smile.gif

On Extended Guard I seem to recall looking at a teardown and seeing the fluffy media like the Donaldson Syntec or Fleetguard Stratapore. Maybe not. If someone has a reference photo I'd like to look (p/n EG2 I think is what I would like to see).

I've read that the glass media has issues with bend radius when I was studying media. I assume the mesh prevents total failure in case of a breech (which may also occur with pinhole). I also assume thats one reason why something could be blended in. As I recall there are perhaps 4-5 different strategies for doing full glass media to get the depth for holding capacity so there is other dimensions to consider.

I've looked at my options. If Fram gives me a better filter at the same or better price I would use it.

I don't know how many "self-proclaimed experts" I see on other forums say they're bad that don't know/have not studied the FACTS (to use Bill's term).

Here is a TG3614 after a 5k OCI on a Tacoma. There was no reason to believe it didn't perform just fine, but it seemed cheaper in materials and construction than other filters I've autopsied.
dunno.gif
deadhorse.gif

TG3614.jpg

Our local mechanic, who also races cars at Kalamazoo, has on more than one occasion offered one of their WIX filters to another track driver after their car lost oil pressure. It was a Fram. After the change from Fram to WIX the oil pressure came back and worked well. They have also cut apart some of the Fram filters from these incidences and found them to be collapsed.

Interestingly, Bob told me they have come across 2 cars that had Hasting filter that damaged one motor badly and was about to damage another's motor before they changed it out. It was leaking at the seam just below the oil gasket. So, it appears that there are some problems that can crop up with other filters as well.

No doubt a chevy engine with the infamous defeated/plugged bypass. Someone really needs to dig up the guy who came up with that and violate his remains.

Quote:

No doubt a chevy engine with the infamous defeated/plugged bypass. Someone really needs to dig up the guy who came up with that and violate his remains.

I've been running the plugged bypass in my '85 chev plow truck for 8 years now all year around, i do make sure i use a light oil 5 or 0w30 in the winter,no problems here.

Quote:

Amazing info here...
smirk.gif

Frams will NOT hurt your engine. I've got many motors that are running WELL past 200k and one past 300k and they have seen mostly Fram filters.

I've cut open every filter with never an issue.
dunno.gif

Guess I'm lucky. This has been in temps from -20 below to well over 100 degrees for years and years.

Do I use them now? No.

Why? Like 777 said above, just as good or better filters for less $$.

But, for the folks who come to this site for FACTS .. Frams will not damage your engine. Folks who say that are just _______.
nono.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Sorry Bill but I have seen three engines ruined by Frams and paid for by Fram so to say they will not hurt your engine isn't correct. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the odds of them hurting your engine is very low but those are odds I am not willing to take when much better constructed filters can be had for about the same money.

Quote:

Quote:

Amazing info here...
smirk.gif

Frams will NOT hurt your engine. I've got many motors that are running WELL past 200k and one past 300k and they have seen mostly Fram filters.

I've cut open every filter with never an issue.
dunno.gif

Guess I'm lucky. This has been in temps from -20 below to well over 100 degrees for years and years.

Do I use them now? No.

Why? Like 777 said above, just as good or better filters for less $$.

But, for the folks who come to this site for FACTS .. Frams will not damage your engine. Folks who say that are just _______.
nono.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Sorry Bill but I have seen three engines ruined by Frams and paid for by Fram so to say they will not hurt your engine isn't correct. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the odds of them hurting your engine is very low but those are odds I am not willing to take when much better constructed filters can be had for about the same money.

In this post 2 months ago it was 2 engines;

2 Ford engines ruined by Fram

The Ford ones were over 10 years ago.

And now you have another one in the last 2 months?

More info please?
confused.gif

When your filter is number one in sales, I know that there are going to be filters that fail (all filters have a failure rate)

It just seems that people here will bash a Supertech but promote a Mobil 1 filter when they are built on the same lines.
dunno.gif

Frams have worked for me and unlike most people, I've CUT OPEN EVERY ONE I've ever used. Never seen a problem.

But, like I said before, I don't use them now because I can get a filter that works as well for a lower price.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I've been running the plugged bypass in my '85 chev plow truck for 8 years now all year around, i do make sure i use a light oil 5 or 0w30 in the winter,no problems here.

..but have you ever asked "why?"? Fords race ..Mopars too. Do you see any of them going to the trouble to swap to Chevy remote mounts so that they can defeat a bypass valve? No. Do they blow up or suffer some higher refresh rate in not having this device/mechanism defeated? No. This is some exclusive niche technique that someone ..at some time ..just pulled out of their behind and everyone else followed the leader. Now it may not hurt you ..but it's just by accident. That is, you happen to use light enough oil ..or don't get too cold ..or don't rev the engine too high when cold ..don't have too high a volume pump ..or too high a relief setting on it.

I just find it a very unwise risk for little, if any, benefit. One member paid in spades for doing this with a conventional filter. $7000, IIRC.

Quote:

..but have you ever asked "why?"?

Why?.. to improve oil filtration,you wouldn't believe how long the oil stays clean in that truck.

i wouldn't go out and do this to all my cars/truck but as
easy as it is to do on a SBC,i say why not!!
smile.gif

I believe I was wrong on the Buick filters having built in bypass.
blush.gif
I looked at a Baldwin B43S filter and it has no mention of bypass, just Anti Drainback Valve. I believe also the bypass is built into the block and right at the place where the oil filter attaches to the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back