Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys i've been reading for a while this forum and i really think it's great!
I have a question about oil filters
Are the Fram oil filters really bad or it's just the price issue?
How 'bout the DG or XG from Fram?

IMHO, they are not THAT bad. Overpriced for the given quality/durability - definitely. But it is still a usable filter (even though just barely). Same goes for DG & SG.

If you have 0 choice - Fram will work, but there are much better choices out these for less money.

Dirty,

I agree with Odessit about Fram. Allot of pople bad mouth Fram BUT none of mine blew up in anyway. besides, bad things can happen to any filter regardless of brand. What I worry about is no name brands from EZ Lube and other quickie oil change places.

Durango

It's mainly a price issue, imo. There are plenty of low cost filters that do as good a job as a Fram ..some better. They just don't have the heavy promotional/sponsorship costs that Fram incurs with NASCAR, NHRA, etc.

This is opinion....

You've gotta figure that the fixed costs of producing a filter are about the same for everyone (tooling, facility). Then there's the material cost, which may add up to something on a grand scale. It may fall into some realm like the media may cost 4X as much ..but that still (maybe/probably) adds up to a tick or two on the total filter tab. I'm sure that an M1 filter doesn't cost twice as much to produce as a PureOne. It's a combo of ROI and volume ..plus the cost of marketing that boosts it to the $10 level (or higher). That is, it cost twice as much to "bring it to market" and make it worth the trip.

The upper offerings from Fram appear rather good. The baseline costs of the standard offering tend to send those robust filters into unreasonably high prices for the performance level that they deliver.

Essentially, you can get a better filter for the money in most cases. If that's what's readily available/convenient ..use them
dunno.gif

I can't remember how much does Fram cost in the US
But south of the border i don't think it's that expensive compared to K&N
A Fram XG cost about 13-14 US$ and a K&N about 20 US$
The thing is that we don't have any M1, Amsoil, Napa or Purone filters here!

Q: Are Fram Oil Filters Really That Bad?

The question really should be:

"Could Fram oil (and air) filters be made better?"

To which the answer is YES!

Quote:

I can't remember how much does Fram cost in the US
But south of the border i don't think it's that expensive compared to K&N
A Fram XG cost about 13-14 US$ and a K&N about 20 US$
The thing is that we don't have any M1, Amsoil, Napa or Purone filters here!

A standard orange can is anywhere from 4.xx-6.xx. (sometimes discounted).

You're in a filter pickle. I'd spend the extra for the K&N if you leave it on long enough.

No Amsoil dealers in Mexico
confused.gif

In my application, the Tough Guard TG2 has really great filtration based single/dual pass test data on the box.

It may be even better than my MC FL-820S by a 1% or 2 for given microns at the edge. In my mind that puts it right up there with PureONE and M1 in filtration.

I think our WM price is $5.50US so not a good deal relative to MC at $2.48 but better than M1 at $10.

Internal construction looked reasonable but it uses card board instead of metal on media ends.

The Extended Guard looks interesting with mesh-backed synthetic media and I believe metal media ends but filtration drops back the level of the standard orange can. Price and limited availability round out the picture.

Last edited:
Baldwin or Wix are better filters, generally, than Fram. If the bypass relief valve on the Fram doesn't work properly, then there could be a major problem (as with any other filters' BP.

Quote:

Baldwin or Wix are better filters, generally, than Fram. If the bypass relief valve on the Fram doesn't work properly, then there could be a major problem (as with any other filters' BP.

There ADBV s*ck's too..

Here are some pic's of a "virgin" Tough Guard filter. With the exception of the better gasket and ADBV it looks as though it's made of the same garbage as the orange can..

P4011015.jpg

P4011016.jpg

Same old lame filter.

But it *does* have a silicone ADBV. That's the only thing that I see that was possibly worth buying.

As I said a few days ago, I'd rather drain the old filter and re-use it (as long as it isn't a Fram), and leave junk like this on the shelf at the store.

Nobody said they were destructible to your vehicle. They are frowned-on because you can get a better filter by Purolator/Motorcraft/Napa/Supertech/STP/AC Delco for the same price or less.

Amazing info here...
smirk.gif

Frams will NOT hurt your engine. I've got many motors that are running WELL past 200k and one past 300k and they have seen mostly Fram filters.

I've cut open every filter with never an issue.
dunno.gif

Guess I'm lucky. This has been in temps from -20 below to well over 100 degrees for years and years.

Do I use them now? No.

Why? Like 777 said above, just as good or better filters for less $$.

But, for the folks who come to this site for FACTS .. Frams will not damage your engine. Folks who say that are just _______.
nono.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back