Anyone with a Jeep Patriot seeing a rust issue?

Not the body but the undercarriage and suspension. A friend of mine had to replace the front suspension support member last year for rust issues. Yesterday the garage called her and said she needed to replace the complete rear suspension due to it being rusted out. The body is fine zero rust anywhere on it.

The vehicle has been a nightmare. Ball joints every two to three years and tires wearing out every 15K miles. It's a daily driver and isn't used for four wheeling at all. Anyone else know of similar issues with other Jeeps?

Rams with rusted away body panels are all over the place around here, mostly from the Daimler-Chrysler era. Maybe they started using better steel once FCA took over?

One of my customers has a 2010. It has a little over 100k miles and the rear suspension is a bit crusty. They really aren't that great of a vehicle, it has had several issues. I'd avoid the Compass/Patriot models especially with the CVT.

Could be inherited genetics. Modern Jeeps are produced by FIAT/chrysler. Fiats among their many afflictions were well known to be pestered by the tin worm.

I've had two new (purchased off the showroom by me) Fiats and I can attest that they come pre-rusted right from the factory.

Must have rust immunity-->
images

I’ve also heard some states have gone to a brine solution instead of rock salt, and rust problems are exacerbated by it. It’s strange being a rust belt native in Texas, then coming back to visit and seeing what look like late-model beaters. This Ram was bad enough for me to photograph… what rocker panels?

Attachments

• C7E08857-6267-4E46-BA0A-5509A3CC9BA3.jpeg
    C7E08857-6267-4E46-BA0A-5509A3CC9BA3.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 56
The front subframe / kframe / whatever you want to call it definitely rusts out on them. And the Mitsubishis that share a platform with them.

Not the body but the undercarriage and suspension. A friend of mine had to replace the front suspension support member last year for rust issues. Yesterday the garage called her and said she needed to replace the complete rear suspension due to it being rusted out. The body is fine zero rust anywhere on it.

The vehicle has been a nightmare. Ball joints every two to three years and tires wearing out every 15K miles. It's a daily driver and isn't used for four wheeling at all. Anyone else know of similar issues with other Jeeps?
Yes, the first generation came out when Chrysler was going bankrupt and there were major improvements after FCA took over (post 2010+).

It sounds like your friend missed out on the extended warranty replacement program.

BIG issue out here on the Island!
This.

Many a sub 10 year old car with less than 100k on it has failed inspection on structural rust

NYC is full of them

OTTOMH, I've brought a Dodge Caliber, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Pathfinder, and I think a CR-V into my local dealers for new subframes, rust proofing, or KBB buyback because it was unrepairable

Yes, the first generation came out when Chrysler was going bankrupt and there were major improvements after FCA took over (post 2010+).

It sounds like your friend missed out on the extended warranty replacement program.
So did my parents on their 2007 Caliber… Iirc it was about $750 for parts and labor to replace it.

My 2012 Caliber subframes still looked great when I sold it in 2018, though it did need front and rear sway bar bushings.

Back