Did mazda solve rust issues now?

What grease-type spray do you use?
Flavour of the moment varied, but these last two years it has been Kleen-Flo Honey Goo. It stays put on the body parts, not so much on the undercarriage, so I wouldn't recommend, I just got a good deal on a bunch of cans. At least it doesn't flake after a while nor freezes the trunk's electric release during Canadian winters.

Now possible disclaimer, my Mazda is apparently one of the latest first gen 6 made (in Japan apparently) and came with a "special edition" paint or whatever they call that, and while a ugly colour to me, it seems quite thick and well applied compared to other Mazda 6 I've seen (mostly at the scrapyard). It's also possible its previous owner didn't use it much during the winter, I've only had it since 2018.
Oh and the engine undercarriage part took care of its own rustproofing with some leaks here and there, mostly on the power steering parts that I didn't so diligently fix.

I believe that Mazda had at least fixed the rust issue with their vehicles around 2009,10,11> as they were redesigning their vehicles and getting away from Ford. Not saying that Ford was an issue with Mazda's rust problem, just using Ford as a timeframe. Definitely by now Mazda vehicles are doing well in the rust dept. I haven't seen any rusted Mazda's in some time and I live here in the north east.

Selling ICE sedans is dead market . A tiny niche player like Mazda cannot afford to sell very few ICE sedans when lions share is CUVs.

I think if Mazda tapped their Toyota connection for a viable hybrid or PHEV driveline a Mazda 6 would be viable niche vehicle.

Our '17 CX-9 is still completely rust-free...and has not been treated with any rust preventative...

I liked the Mazda 6. I liked them even better when they had a manual transmission. I drove one in Edmonton. The dealer on Vancouver Island never brought in the ones with a manual transmission so - no surprise here - they didn't sell.

Nonetheless a Mazda 6 was on my final list when I bought the Tesla. They had only one in stock and it was battleship grey with black wheels - possibly faddish and a questionable colour choice for a guy who keeps cars almost forever. The most notable "feature" was the fuzzy back-up camera. Good enough I suppose but not very good.

Back