Did mazda solve rust issues now?

Was curious, my friends 2017 CX-3 is very much rust free as they applied krown, and get it re-treated every year. My question is the rust issues pretty much solved now on these vehicles?

Also why did they stop selling the mazda 6? There is literally nothing out there that will replace the ford fusion / mazda 6.

My wife's CX-9 is rust free . But I live in the deep South where there are no salt issues , etc.

The Mazda6 was discontinued for lack of sales in the North American market. Buyers snapped up Camrys and Accords, but left this great sedan in the cold. The 6 is still sold in other markets, including the nifty wagon version we didn't get.

They've not long discontinued it in the UK. Was considering one when I bought my Dacia Duster late last year but they'd just stopped selling them.

Reportedly, Mazda was late to the game where the vehicle body is dipped in the white antitrust bath during the manufacturing process. I think Mazda implemented the process model wide by 2012 or 2013.

My 2017 Mazda 6 is already rustier than my 2003 accord ever was underneath. It’s not scary, but seams and welds on subframes show surface rust. I don’t remember any of it on my accord till the day I got rid of it. Both travelled and lived their life’s in the same environment / roads.

When I bought my 2011 Mazda6 everyone said “Mazda fixed the rust issues.” Well they didn’t and I ended up replacing the front engine cradle and rear subframe with a junkyard subframe. Only time will tell, but history is littered with a poor track record on corrosion resistance. My Mazda was built in Flat Rock in a Ford plant. Now they’re built in Japan or Mexico. Different factory and likely different processes.

My 2017 Mazda 6 is already rustier than my 2003 accord ever was underneath. It’s not scary, but seams and welds on subframes show surface rust. I don’t remember any of it on my accord till the day I got rid of it. Both travelled and lived their life’s in the same environment / roads.
Yeah, I'm not surprised... I have a '17 Mazda6; very few miles on it and I live in Vancouver where generally winters are mild, lots of rain prevails... but they do use de-icing salts. I don't have any rust on my pressed steel suspension cpts or subframes, but I have not been running the car in winter. I have to say that if you're fussy like I am, the subframes and susp cpts need to be roughened-up, primed, top-coated, and possibly rustproofed too - if you want them to remain rust free. Certainly boxed-in areas of same need good creeping, waxy cavity sealer. The preparation that Mazda affords these cpts is, simply put, poor (in my view).

Mazda's rep as regards quality of the double-sided galvanizing is not good either.

It's my sense that Mazda's will go the distance, but need extra tlc...They're value-engineered to the nines.

Was curious, my friends 2017 CX-3 is very much rust free as they applied krown, and get it re-treated every year. My question is the rust issues pretty much solved now on these vehicles?

Also why did they stop selling the mazda 6? There is literally nothing out there that will replace the ford fusion / mazda 6.
I never had any issues on my 2015 or 2019 cx5 with rust.

The accord 2.0t is a better Mazda 6.

When I bought my 2011 Mazda6 everyone said “Mazda fixed the rust issues.” Well they didn’t and I ended up replacing the front engine cradle and rear subframe with a junkyard subframe. Only time will tell, but history is littered with a poor track record on corrosion resistance. My Mazda was built in Flat Rock in a Ford plant. Now they’re built in Japan or Mexico. Different factory and likely different processes.

Also built at MTMUS in Alabama.

I didn't realize Mazda was using Flat Rock that late.

My parents-in-law bought a new (Flat Rock) Mazda 6 in 1992. It was scrapped due to rust c. 2005.

We are not full-on rust belt here, but also not Arizona.

Salt is used primarily to help keep the sand spread on the ice from clumping. Our winters are typically too cold for the rust to progress quickly, but the Spring melt is bad, as is parking in a heated garage in the winter.

Mazdas from around 2000 to 2005 rusted badly here. The Protege 5 and 2nd-gen MPV seemed to be particularly susceptible.

2006 through 2010 Mazdas are still rust-prone here, but not nearly as bad.

I haven't seen any rust on 2011+ Mazdas - but again, conditions here are not nearly as bad as in areas with milder winters.

I never had any issues on my 2015 or 2019 cx5 with rust.

The accord 2.0t is a better Mazda 6.
My parents' 2015 CX-5 had the rear shock mount tear due to corrosion. You won't have rust issues if you're not in the rust belt.

Back