Cars you had that were supposed to be junk but turned out great for you

I should add my 1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4. It had the 2.9 V6 with the 5 speed tranny. The 2.9 was known for overheating, cracking heads etc. I bought it used in 2002 or 2003 running like 💩 with a broken u joint on the passenger side front axle for $600. After tuning it up and replacing the axle with a junkyard unit and putting a new set of Goodyear Wranglers on it, I proceeded to treat it like an idiot off road, take it airborne, tow and haul WAY more than it was rated for, and just generally be stupid and abuse it. That truck never skipped a beat. The one and only time it ever made me work on it on the road was when my wife and I were driving from our house in Battle Ground, Washington to her parents' house in Port Angeles, Washington. Of course it was pouring down rain as it always does, and just before Olympia the wiper motor died. So we slowly made it to Olympia and stopped at Schucks (Now O'Reilly) and replaced the wiper motor. That was a solid truck. I always ran Delo 15W40 in it.

1976 Pontiac Sunbird hatchback. All brown except for the rust. Friends called it "the turd." First car at 16. Drove cross country 4 times in 1988 when I went in the military. Blew up at 280ishK miles.

I'll bite. My 2016 Salvaged Chevy Trax gifted to me by my Father in law. It's had a few minor hiccups but has been great. People seem to hate the 1.4 T and bemoan it, but I've had no major problems, even at 85K.

Back