RockAuto parts ordering misery

Had to change the front wheel bearing on the Corolla. So I decided to get the Moog knuckle assembly (Made in China, sigh) instead of messing around with getting just the wheel bearing and have to find a shop to press in/out. While I was in there, I figured I’ll replace the ball joint too since it’s been on the car since it rolled out at NUMMI 180k miles ago.

I did some reading through forums and general consensus was that Delphi ball joints held up well and are made in Turkey vs. buying a made in China Moog ball joint. But RA being RA was shipping both of these from different warehouses. I wasn’t thrilled with the shipping costs but whatever.

Took a half day at work and torn into the car. Rust and salt over the years did a number on the castle nuts. It was a bear to get the tie rod nut off but the one that holds the old ball joint to the knuckle is ON. I mean I doused that sucker in PB blaster for 3 hours and probably hit it with an impact for a total of about 30 mins across the 3 hours. Didn’t budge a bit. Reason why I was trying to salvage that castle nut was because the one that came with the new Delphi has a GIANT washer pre cast into the castle nut. So it won’t clear the knuckle by a big margin. Like how does a tier 1 bench mark an OE product and then screw up the easiest part of it by adding an unnecessary modification??? I’ve done plenty of competitive benchmarking and never have I had engineers go around and add features/material in close space areas.

I used the super wonderful RA return system which in the last decade + I’ve used them - they have been good about giving me a partial refund for small stuff like this. I punched in my $6 partial refund request and viola, RA says return the part to get my refund. With their warehousing allocations, increased shipping costs and asinine return system - I think I’m just going to use Amazon for small stuff and curtail my RA spending to just the big and/or critical stuff. They certainly seem to have regressed in my books since 2012 when I first started using them.

I’m beat - all that effort was for nothing. Sorry I ranted, I was hoping the simple task would truly be simple for once. But whatever, hopefully the part is ready for pick up tomorrow and I’ll be able to get her back on the road.

Outside of my rant, for anyone with a Gen9 Corolla/Gen 1 Matrix/Gen 1 Vibe - get the complete Moog knuckle assembly and just get the Moog ball joint. Photos online show the Moog ball joint having the same castle nut as Toyota without the integrated giant washer. Makes for an easy job at minimal extra spend over a bearing press in/out job.

I ordered some cabin air filters for my prii from them. The filter has a carrier with a plastic piece that fits in between two of the pleats, it helps stiffen the thing.

Ordered the filter that their catalog said fit my cars, but it didn't. The outside dimensions were the same but the pleats were 90 degrees out.

They said they'd refund me for the parts, and half the shipping. Sent the stuff back. Got a lesser refund, just price of parts, no shipping.

Reactions: JC1
Had to change the front wheel bearing on the Corolla. So I decided to get the Moog knuckle assembly (Made in China, sigh) instead of messing around with getting just the wheel bearing and have to find a shop to press in/out.
$30 for a made in Japan bearing, or $160 for a made in China knuckle assembly? No question in my mind I'd go for the first choice. You can buy a 20 ton shop press at HF for $200 so just two of these jobs pay for it.

$30 for a made in Japan bearing, or $160 for a made in China knuckle assembly? No question in my mind I'd go for the first choice. You can buy a 20 ton shop press at HF for $200 so just two of these jobs pay for it.
Perhaps. My gripe is about the poorly copied / benchmarked castle nut on the ball joint that has nothing to do with the bearing vs knuckle assy point. I’d be in the same boat with the existing castle nut on the existing ball joint seized on.

Current hub is crusty and the backing plate is dissolving. Would I really want to put all that back and go through the hassle of pressing out the bearings? For me personally, doesn’t make sense. But I get everyone approaches things differently

I ordered some cabin air filters for my prii from them. The filter has a carrier with a plastic piece that fits in between two of the pleats, it helps stiffen the thing.

Ordered the filter that their catalog said fit my cars, but it didn't. The outside dimensions were the same but the pleats were 90 degrees out.

They said they'd refund me for the parts, and half the shipping. Sent the stuff back. Got a lesser refund, just price of parts, no shipping.
That’s another good example of RA having regressed. I remember the first purchase I made from was a cat converter for an old C70 project I got cheap. That thing was destroyed in shipping - the box showed up crushed. It went in the trash, I got a full refund and I bought a replacement from FCP. RA for a lot of the smaller parts isn’t making much sense in my books anymore especially given the cost of their shipment and the cost of return shipping if I need to send something back.

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2811.jpeg

Here are some pictures of the ridiculous castle nut courtesy of Delphi. Seriously, what the heck were the engineers/designers thinking? A quick stack up would’ve shown them that their castle nut wouldn’t assemble.

Image #2 shows how far off axis it is and why I couldn’t use it. Thanks RA for the subpar return system.
Otoh, car’s buttoned up and back on the road.

I use RA for things like brake pads, filters, etc. where there are standard part numbers and I can verify that those parts are the ones specified for my cars. So far, so good, and I have never had to return anything.

I got a genuine transmission filter cartridge for my Corvette from RA for $103 and from other sources, the cheapest was over $40 more. Similarly, Powerstop ceramic brake pads were lowest price from RA.

Another reason to use Amazon. It may cost more, but it has a much better returns process.
Yep, lesson learnt. I usually use Amazon but this time I figured I’d get the parts from RA because of the “lifetime warranty”. Totally wasn’t worth it.

I use RA for things like brake pads, filters, etc. where there are standard part numbers and I can verify that those parts are the ones specified for my cars. So far, so good, and I have never had to return anything.

I got a genuine transmission filter cartridge for my Corvette from RA for $103 and from other sources, the cheapest was over $40 more. Similarly, Powerstop ceramic brake pads were lowest price from RA.
Interesting, my experience recently has been opposite. I’ve been able to get rotors and pads for the Corolla and my Pathfinder off Amazon (Raybestos Element3s) for a couple bucks more than RA but I don’t have to pay additional shipping and then there’s the 1 day shipping.

Back