anyone using royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinking to put royal purple 10w30 in my 92 v6 3.1 firebird 112500 miles on it. please let me know all good/bad things about using royal purple.like, what is the thing,that royal purple thins out like crazy??
confused.gif

My friend is, and that's because his brother-in-law is a RP rep. I guess that's a good reason to use it.
wink.gif
10w-40 by my recommendation in a V6 30v Audi.
grin.gif
That's the one I'd say to use in your car as well.
patriot.gif

I use 5w-30 in my S-10 and love it. My father uses it in his Colorado and his 63 Corvette and he swears by it now also. Once my 90 Corvette is finished with the Auto-RX rinse cycle, I'll be using either RP 10-30 or Racing 41.

Supposedly some people said it has a tendency to shear a bit, but every UOA I have seen showed good numbers.

I'm going to have a UOA done on mine in the next 1500 miles. I run a Motorguard bypass system with the RP and I'm trying to find out how long I can take it.

I ran RP in my 70 Olds 442....got some funky oil pressure readings when it was hot.

Switched back to dino, and the oil pressure readings were normal.

Seemed like the RP thinned out when hot.

Bad experience with Royal Purple. Did oil change as I always do. Put in Royal Purple and within a few days it was coming out of everywhere on the engine. Changed back to my normal oil and zero problems. With Royal Purple I lost a quart in a week with it go all over the engine and on the ground.

quote:

Bad experience with Royal Purple. Did oil change as I always do. Put in Royal Purple and within a few days it was coming out of everywhere on the engine. Changed back to my normal oil and zero problems. With Royal Purple I lost a quart in a week with it go all over the engine and on the ground.

Hey Rob, could you elaborate a little further? It's sounds like to me the stuff attacked your seals and gaskets. Did it? For this reason, I am extremely apprehensive about going with a synthetic oil like RP. I can only imagine the horror of paying over $30 to change my oil and have all the seals destroyed causing the motor to spring leaks all over the place.

So many people had had positve expernces with synthetic. Many of the ones who havent switched back and were 100% fine. I don't see much of a risk in it for you.

-Robb Taggs

Please tell us more of what your engine condtion was it in (like how many miles, previous oci's, what oils were used prior to RP,etc?) If you can tell us ur experience, we can pin point or guesstimate what lead to your bad experience with a synthetic oil like RP...

my engine is 92 v6 3.1 112500 miles on it.prewious owner had the car 12 years and were using probaly shell helix plus 10w40 synthetic blend all that time (at least i have service tickets and two of them says that oils is shell helix plus 10w40 synthetic blend.one ticket shows that year was 1999 and that time mileage was 69742) of course there is a possibility that he was using different oils because i only have two service tickets that says shell helix plus.all the other time there have could been different oils but probaly it has been shell helix oils all that 12 years.i have owned that car (pontiac firebird) two years now, and been using dino oils.maybe i should been using that same synthetic blend oil, but at that time,i didnt know anything about motoroils and local oil store salesman told me to use ac delco dino oil 15w40.but my engine valve liftes beginning to make clanking noise,i dont know why,but i now use gm goodwrench 5w30,and clanking noise is not that loud anymore.i got small oil leak it started couple months ago,but it only drops couple drops in one nigt,so i dont see big rush to fix it right now.i dont know how often prewious owner were changing his oils,but i have been changing my oils every 3000miles.it consumes a little oil,after 3000miles,half quart.i just think that should i stick with dino gm 5w30 and 10w30 or change back to shell helix blend 10w40 or put something else like royal purple in it.right now,im think that i should switch back to shell helix.i remember when i got the car,no valve clattering.maybe there is something in shell helix oils that prevent valve lifters quiet
confused.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

tonttu

Ever hear of capital letters, paragraphs & spaces after commas & periods? Your post is very difficult to read.

Sorry to sound harsh... but my eyes hurt after reading your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back