Anyone have a Bosch Dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my expensive Kitchenaid range just lost half its induction burners after just over a year, I'm seriously considering just ponying up and buying a Miele. I'm not overly impressed with the present crop of appliances from any of the majors. My Bosch washer had a board die that was almost the cost of a new bloody washer, so I bought a new washer (Maytag).

OP: If you haven't looked at Miele, I would take a minute and do so. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is phenomenally well made.

I got a Bosch and I have no idea what filter you all are talking about cleaning????

Maybe it's because we rinse our dishes and stuff pretty good before we put them in the dishwasher???

I am very pleased with our Bosch. My wife is very pleased with our Bosch.

I had an Asko and loved it. Once it died I bought a Bosch SHP65XXX and it's a bit quieter and does as good at washing. The Europeans have figured it out. Bosch has been built in South Carolina for years. When I sold appliances I would recommend the Bosch over others and customers would come back and thank me since they had been living with inferior equipment for years.

Buy the Bosch. Whirlpool (including Maytag, Amana, and KitchenAid) have been moving to filter based systems because they are superior. As noted in the pictures posted, the "disposal" is a joke.

If you really want to splurge, get a Miele.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
After my expensive Kitchenaid range just lost half its induction burners after just over a year, I'm seriously considering just ponying up and buying a Miele. I'm not overly impressed with the present crop of appliances from any of the majors. My Bosch washer had a board die that was almost the cost of a new bloody washer, so I bought a new washer (Maytag).

OP: If you haven't looked at Miele, I would take a minute and do so. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is phenomenally well made.

The 12 year old Maytag that was in our house died three years ago and we got a Miele. Does a great job, almost silent in operation. It has an easy to remove screen filter that we clean about once a month, but that's because we rinse our dishes - no chunks, no rice. Very happy with it. And Miele sent techs to install it. Took about 20 minutes, and they took away the old one.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The 12 year old Maytag that was in our house died three years ago and we got a Miele. Does a great job, almost silent in operation. It has an easy to remove screen filter that we clean about once a month, but that's because we rinse our dishes - no chunks, no rice. Very happy with it. And Miele sent techs to install it. Took about 20 minutes, and they took away the old one.

thumbsup2.gif

My dad had one in the 90s. It was a TOTAL POS!! I think it'd broken down so many times that Bosch eventually "bought it back" after it was finally declared unfixable.

I've had a standard barely better than builder grade GE and it been problem free for almost 5 years.. I dont put too much food in it. if its caked on I prerinse.

its a GE gld5654v00cs

The parents had 2 electrolux that lasted a combined 4 years

and now have a bosch. Seems to do ok for them.. but its less than a year old.. have to see how it goes..

We have had one for 3 years. Quiet. Gets things clean. Only bad thing is the wheels periodically fall off the bottom rack and I have to pop them back on.

That silly chopper assembly on my ~10 year old Kenmore/Whirlpool is my nemesis. It's basically a maintenance item, as the shaft that connects the blade to the pump breaks every couple of years. Fortunately it's inexpensive (
To bring it back to the OP, I was actually looking at a Bosch 300 series to replace this thing. The 300s seem to be the sweet spot for the Bosch models, being the low end of the high end types. The "appliance samurai" site which is pretty good seems to recommend Bosch and GE as the preferred dishwashers.

jeff

12 loads a week!? How many people in your house?

2 of us in my house and it gets run once a week, maybe twice.

12 loads a week for yours means it’s done almost 1,300 loads of wash. Not bad.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

Here is the grinder "blade" ....This is it, this is the grinder, nothing more. So the screen plugs. Somehow the shaft broke out from the center of the blade.

2 years of use, but in retrospect, I think that its been broke for almost a year, not really sure though.

Maytag, Never Again!

Are you rinsing the dishes before you put them in? They all claim there's a grinder/disposal built in, but there really isn't. You can't leave leftover food on the dishes or you'll regret it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
12 loads a week!? How many people in your house?

2 of us in my house and it gets run once a week, maybe twice.

12 loads a week for yours means it’s done almost 1,300 loads of wash. Not bad.

3 of us in our house, 2 are home all day with 3 meals and alot of cooking from scratch. Everything goes thru the dishwasher, we actually need a dishwasher with a third rack, it will cut down on loads.

Then I wash my gallon water pitchers in it once a week by itself, hummingbird feeders in the summer, I put our maytag glass shelves in the dishwasher about once every six months, I wash my ball caps in the dishwasher, water filter housings, some of my daughters toys, you name it. I wanted to run our toilet seat thru a cycle once after a potty training "miss" but my wife stopped me. Not sure what the difference between that and a spoon is....but anyway.

If we only used our dishwasher 2 times a week the design defect would not be an issue. For many people it would not, but its still expelling steam out the left side of the dishwasher right onto the cabinet. Junk design.

Growing up we were poor and never had a dishwasher, I hated doing the dishes. Its one of lifes luxuries for me.

Last edited:

3 of us in our house, 2 are home all day with 3 meals andalot of cooking from scratch. Everything goes thru the dishwasher, we actually need a dishwasher with a third rack, it will cut down on loads.

Then I wash my gallon water pitchers in it once a week by itself, hummingbird feeders in the summer, I put our maytag glass shelves in the dishwasher about once every six months, I wash my ball caps in the dishwasher, water filter housings, some of my daughters toys, you name it.

If we only used our dishwasher 2 times a week the design defect would not be an issue. For many people it would not, but its still expelling steam out the left side of the dishwasher right onto the cabinet. Junk design.

Junk design? You're abusing the thing!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

3 of us in our house, 2 are home all day with 3 meals andalot of cooking from scratch. Everything goes thru the dishwasher, we actually need a dishwasher with a third rack, it will cut down on loads.

Then I wash my gallon water pitchers in it once a week by itself, hummingbird feeders in the summer, I put our maytag glass shelves in the dishwasher about once every six months, I wash my ball caps in the dishwasher, water filter housings, some of my daughters toys, you name it.

Junk design? You're abusing the thing!

Lol. I guess I am, I suppose its a durability test.

Well its still expelling steam onto the cabinet on the left side of the washer. That wont change no matter how its being used, but yes I do know we are putting 4x the normal use on the unit.

The grinder setup is junk though. Look at the picture, a lot of people have issues with it. The grinder blade actually needs to come out once every 3 months or so and be cleaned, which if it could be access on the top of the unit like the older ones, I would do.

Last edited:
I have one. Quiet, but doesn’t clean very well. I’d take my Kenmore in my last house any day over the Bosch. Louder, but cleaned better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Here is the grinder "blade" ....This is it, this is the grinder, nothing more. So the screen plugs. Somehow the shaft broke out from the center of the blade.

2 years of use, but in retrospect, I think that its been broke for almost a year, not really sure though.

Maytag, Never Again!

Are you rinsing the dishes before you put them in? They all claim there's a grinder/disposal built in, but there really isn't. You can't leave leftover food on the dishes or you'll regret it.

Yes within reason. The stuff that can make it thru the grate at the bottom of the dishwasher pan has to be fairly small. The grinder mesh is all gunked up because it hasn't been spinning in a long time.

Lol. I guess I am, I suppose its a durability test.

Well its still expelling steam onto the cabinet on the left side of the washer. That wont change no matter how its being used, but yes I do know we are putting 4x the normal use on the unit.

The grinder setup is junk though. Look at the picture, a lot of people have issues with it. The grinder blade actually needs to come out once every 3 months or so and be cleaned, which if it could be access on the top of the unit like the older ones, I would do.

You're right about where it vents, it should have been designed to vent through the front. As for the grinder, you have to rinse the dishes before you put them in with any machine...they just don't run enough water through the grinder to rinse it clean and as you found out you'll run into all kinds of problems.

You might want to look at Yale appliance and lighting in Boston. They have one of the better web sites for product information. Go to their blog and resource center for background information. I live in MN but heard of this site from my daughter who lives in the Boston area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back