Anyone had a Kia Rio blow up on them?

My understanding is that the problem was at their Alabama engine assembly operation where there was machining debris left in many engines. I've had two Elantras and both fine with virtually zero problems. The '05 is still going with around 175k miles and the '20 with few miles is fine. I made sure to buy the '20 as a Korean built car. I have seen 2 dealer parts rooms with stacks of crated engines.
Yet another reason I'm glad my ride wasn't Made (FUBAR'D) in Murica...

Yet another reason I'm glad my ride wasn't Made (FUBAR'D) in Murica...

Please...I think it's pretty clear by now this is a design issue and not a manufacturing issue. So these vehicles were "FUBAR'D" in Asia.

You just bought the lie from Asia.

I've never personally seen a 2.4L blown up let alone a Rio...

Yes I've heard and read stories, but they are all online and I have no first hand experience, even though I have owned a few 2.4L Hyundai vehicles, and two 2.0L turbo sonata sport / optima sx.. Currently have two 2.4L's in the stable. Ones a DI in the 13 sonata, the other is non di in the SX..

Marketplace has a couple 200K plus H/K's with blown engines... but its not like are every other H/K engine is blowing up. Yes there are "some" but in the grand scheme of pure numbers, its pretty low imho and acceptable.

The general impression I've gotten from Hyundai / Kia is that the 1.6L engine is either one of their better ones, or the only halfway decent ones.
Of course new Rio's come with a CVT now, so there is that (oh and if you are considering a Rio, the other vehicles that you are considering also have a CVT, except for the Mazda3).

Back