Anyone had a Kia Rio blow up on them?

My buddy’s daughter called last night and said she was broken down. 2016 Kia Rio, mileage unknown. Get there and the oil filter housing is cracked and oil under the car. Starter engages but NOTHING moves. Pretty sure it’s toast. Doesn’t seem to be a recall on this engine (surprisingly), but has anyone else had/heard of this happening?

That might not be relevant to the failure but caused by the failure.. so who knows.

oil pressure bypass valve failure? Oil filters will split no problem if there's no limit to oil pressure.
No idea yet, Jet. My buddy stuck his head under the car and said it looked like the housing was split… I was checking the ‘net to see if this is one covered by an engine recall. Doesn’t appear so…

When i worked at enterprise we had a lot of customers with Hyundai/kia in the shop for blown engines

I’m sure there’s more to this story than what’s being shared, and I’m sure the low oil pressure warning light was ignored, but it makes for a great H/K bash thread and we haven’t had one for a couple days.
Exactly. We have a small pittance of details and the OP runs to his computer to start a thread about a blown motor...you can bet that oil light was probably on-if not other lights as well.

I’m sure there’s more to this story than what’s being shared, and I’m sure the low oil pressure warning light was ignored, but it makes for a great H/K bash thread and we haven’t had one for a couple days.
I’ve shared all I know, nothing I’m privy to was held back. Considering she’s a mid-20s woman with 3 kids from 2 baby daddies and dodges responsibility wherever she can, the low oil light is certainly a possibility. I was asking if anyone else had seen it happen since I couldn’t find anything on the net.

It won’t be an H/K bash thread unless you invite it because I’ve got no skin in this game, I was just trying to see if I could help my buddy get a free engine for his daughter. ✌️

Need carnage pictures and vehicle history with current ownership

Pretty sure it uses the 9688/1334/2808 spin-on filter that many hyundaikia uses. Something could bounce up and hit the filter, but radiator support, undercarriage panels, and oil pan would also show some damage.

Remember..... also blame Kia for empty sumps, skipped or overly extended intervals, and crashing into debris on the road.

Unless dealer maintained, dealer is going to love that estimate. Hope that it is a dealer-installed doublegasketted or loose filter, and/or defective OE filter with <7500 miles on it. Otherwise, pay up!

I’ve shared all I know, nothing I’m privy to was held back. Considering she’s a mid-20s woman with 3 kids from 2 baby daddies and dodges responsibility wherever she can, the low oil light is certainly a possibility. I was asking if anyone else had seen it happen since I couldn’t find anything on the net.

It won’t be an H/K bash thread unless you invite it because I’ve got no skin in this game, I was just trying to see if I could help my buddy get a free engine for his daughter. ✌️
I hope the Kia dealer helps her out.

I’ve never heard of the filter housing being a problem on the H/K 1.6L that’s in the Rio. I don’t think there’s any TSBs about it or recalls. The 1.6L engine is typically pretty good, (Accent Abuser has over 200k on his) but with poor maintenance they can start consuming oil, and that’s not unheard of even with Subaru engines. If she bought it used there’s no factory warranty left, but sometimes the dealer will goodwill a repair.

Need carnage pictures and vehicle history with current ownership

Pretty sure it uses the 9688/1334/2808 spin-on filter that many hyundaikia uses. Something could bounce up and hit the filter, but radiator support, undercarriage panels, and oil pan would also show some damage.

Remember..... also blame Kia for empty sumps, skipped or overly extended intervals, and crashing into debris on the road.

Unless dealer maintained, dealer is going to love that estimate. Hope that it is a dealer-installed doublegasketted or loose filter, and/or defective OE filter with
I’ll swing by and see if the car’s still outside. She’s literally had it for less than a month and 1000 miles. Sounds like it was a buy-here, pay-here disaster that sold it to her. Hopefully there’s enough light to see and get some pics; like I said I didn’t see the housing, just going off what buddy said.

Sounds like this was convergence of many bad symptoms- 2nd hand car, irresponsible owner, unfortunate circumstances… and my buddy gets stuck trying to help.

I will take your word that you did not intend it as a "bash thread". However if Hyundai/KIA is mentioned as a topic it automatically becomes one.

Back