Anyone else use alcohol in a sprayer to clean glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if it is a known trick or what. I spray inside and outside with a pump sprayer of alcohol and wipe. It works great, I think bare glass is the best. I will not use an anti-fog, period. Also, I noticed my new wiper came with an alcohol swab to clean it with. Alcohol, handy, but not for drinking.

i've done that before, i mixed a bit of water with it so that it didn't evaporate so quickly. none of the anti-fogs i've tried work as well as having a really clean window.

Interesting idea. I like alcohol as a general purpose solvent. There's a glass cleaner called Sprayway. It comes in a pressurized can, comes out as a foam, and uses alcohol as it's main ingrediant. It's a good product and doesn't have the harsh smell that ammonia based window cleaners have.

Alcohol on a paper towel is a great cleaner for windshield wipers. I use winter wiper blades. When I change the wiper blades in the spring and fall, I clean them with a paper towel and alcohol. It gets all the gunk off.

[ October 11, 2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

quote:

I'd just caution people about getting rubbing alcohol on your paint since it has a tendency to strip wax.

and normal glass cleaner doesn't strip wax?
dunno.gif

stoners makes the best automotive glass cleaner i have found, even better than sprayway.

[ October 12, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: tom slick ]

quote:

Originally posted by Rick in PA:
Interesting idea. I like alcohol as a general purpose solvent. There's a glass cleaner called Sprayway. It comes in a pressurized can, comes out as a foam, and uses alcohol as it's main ingrediant. It's a good product and doesn't have the harsh smell that ammonia based window cleaners have.

Alcohol on a paper towel is a great cleaner for windshield wipers. I use winter wiper blades. When I change the wiper blades in the spring and fall, I clean them with a paper towel and alcohol. It gets all the gunk off.

I worked in a glass factory for 6 months or so ...and the only 2 cleaners we used were Sprayaway..and for the really tough stuff...Denatured Alcohol..

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:

quote:

I'd just caution people about getting rubbing alcohol on your paint since it has a tendency to strip wax.

and normal glass cleaner doesn't strip wax?
dunno.gif

stoners makes the best automotive glass cleaner i have found, even better than sprayway.

I don't know about all auto glass cleaners, but something like Eagle One 20/20 doesn't really have all that much alcohol in it.

I worked under the assumption that by "alcohol" he basically meant buying one of those $1 50/50 isopropyl bottles and screwing a spray head on to it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back