I cleaned my engine bay today

Nice result. Do that here on a 10 year old car and you will expose all of the rusty fasteners and clamps from salt dust flying in the engine bay all winter.

A buddy of mine used to wash his '82 Prelude engine while it was running. I admit that I don't know the specifics of how an alternator works, but it seems like water intrusion would have caused an issue while it was powered up. I wash my engines all the time, but not while running, and the alternator is covered.

What do you guys use? Simple green and synthetic brush? Do you just rinse the entire engine bay with a nozzle-free flow of water avoiding the alternator?

I've occasionally vacuumed and wiped up some dirt around the perimeter of the engine bay but that usually entailed a lot of dirty towels.

What do you guys use? Simple green and synthetic brush? Do you just rinse the entire engine bay with a nozzle-free flow of water avoiding the alternator?

I've occasionally vacuumed and wiped up some dirt around the perimeter of the engine bay but that usually entailed a lot of dirty towels.
I use my Tornador with ONR solution or a citrus degreaser and pressure washer if it's really grimy.

Honda used the smaller battery for the 4 bangers. Additionally, the small battery is the only size that fits in the TSX (like ours). Accords can use the bigger size, which was used in the V6 models. Honda makes a changeover kit that has a new tray. Or you can modify what you have.
Youtube has a few videos showing both ways. Search YT for "Accord battery upgrade" to use the 24F. You can modify your tray, buy kit form Honda or hit your local junk yard.
I upgraded my 2017 accord sport to the 24f. Only thing I had to do was buy the v6 battery bracket. Was around $12 or $15 at the dealer
I can’t remember if I made it fit on the existing tray or just took it out

I've used Scrubbing Bubbles a couple of times with alternator covered and got decent result.
1659543785341.jpg

1659543810624-png.110949

1659543853682.jpg

First time cleaning the engine bay in 10 years right before selling it.

Attachments

• 1659543810624.jpg
    1659543810624.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 163
I upgraded my 2017 accord sport to the 24f. Only thing I had to do was buy the v6 battery bracket. Was around $12 or $15 at the dealer
I can’t remember if I made it fit on the existing tray or just took it out
I may do that one day. I haven’t done much research on the topic but I wonder if the extra “power” would harm anything.

Good job.

One word of caution, if your son watched you clean the engine bay he will try to do it himself sometime in the future imitating his dad. That usually doesn’t work out the way we hope.
Lol...I have three teens who have spent their lives watching me do things and never once have they even expressed interest let alone actually attempt ANYTHING...lol

I was inspired by this thread. I spent about 30 minutes doing mine. I only used a dirty rag with some car wash solution and water in a bucket and some interior detailer. Not perfect, but certainly better than before.

1659621026300.jpg

1659621100329.jpg

I have to disconnect and reconnect my MAF periodically to fix hesitation. Last thing I want to do is pressure wash underhood.

Yeah I know weatherpack style connectorisation, etc, but the fuse box lid isn't even gasketed. And I tossed the engine cover as it was working as a mouse-house roof in the winter!

I have to disconnect and reconnect my MAF periodically to fix hesitation. Last thing I want to do is pressure wash underhood.

Yeah I know weatherpack style connectorisation, etc, but the fuse box lid isn't even gasketed. And I tossed the engine cover as it was working as a mouse-house roof in the winter!
On your new Ford? Did you try the dealer for a warranty fix?

I understand the hesitation to hose down an engine bay, there is a lot going on in there. There may be NO truth to this at all, but for some reason I trust that Honda has done a better job in both engineering and using better materials in the engine bay that could better withstand water intrusion then say the Germans. I haven't cleaned the engine bay on the Jetta yet, but when I do I feel I will be a bit more cautious. Again, that it just the thought that runs through my mind. I don't have anything to back that up, just stigmas associated with various brands. I have READ (again no proof) that many German brands use a more biodegradable rubber compound that deteriorates more quickly than that of other brands. If that is true there may be some validity to being more cautious with water under the hood.

I've used Scrubbing Bubbles a couple of times with alternator covered and got decent result.
View attachment 110948
1659543810624-png.110949

View attachment 110951
First time cleaning the engine bay in 10 years right before selling it.

Scrubbing bubbles is a thought. It seems it did a good job, I would just be concerned with any repeated use that it may be too harsh on some rubbers / plastics under the hood. As a one time use before selling it makes sense.

Back