What's the oldest oil filter you've ever used?

So it was time to do an oil and filter change on my bike. Bought a Fram XG6607 from Amazon, but when I got it I wasn't impressed. Both the anti-drainback gasket and filter element were noticeably off-center, and there was some dirt inside. Amazon gave me a refund.

Then I remembered I had a stash of FPS6607's. From the date code, these were made in 2013. I'd purchased these a few years ago, so they were sitting in somebody else's warehouse prior to that, and I've no idea how they were stored.

Anyway, I looked inside one and it looked normal (clean, no rust), better than the new XG I'd bought. Honestly, I guess I half expected to see bits of glass fiber flying around inside. So I thought, what the hey, I'll use it and see if my bike blows up. :LOL:

Put 500 miles on the bike so far, no issues.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
I bought about 6-7 of the Fram High Mileage (with the “Extended Release Technology” additive or whatever it was) several years ago on clearance for like 99 cents each, mainly for friends & family that I change their oil and they somehow never seem to have money for maintenance. I think Fram quit making these quite a long time ago, and I just put the 2nd to last one on. I’d bet these are likely 8-9 years old at a minimum now; I can pull date code off my last one if somebody will translate date code 🤭

If it's a Fram Ultra, then yes a 10 year old one is better than a new one. If it's a Purolator PureOne... I got some bad news for you.
I was thinking Hengst and Mann, good chance 10 yo better, not sure about Mahle, probably them too...

I have this old Quaker State filter in my stash. I am not sure if I will use it or not on my 2012 Honda Civic 1.8. I am not positive if it will even fit but I think it will. I don't know how to read the date code but it has to be 8 years old or older. It has a little surface rust on it however the insides are new.

Attachments

• chdO33YfTXSu0HN8g%Hf4Q.jpg
    chdO33YfTXSu0HN8g%Hf4Q.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 41
  • pjQHfBOATw6NKn6cbrXpHA.jpg
    pjQHfBOATw6NKn6cbrXpHA.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 40
  • wuKTWIF0Tr2KHjGAy6Np%g.jpg
    wuKTWIF0Tr2KHjGAy6Np%g.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
Nitrile rubber degrades. Silicon rubber degrades slower but does eventually. If it was stored in cool dry place, I would like be comfortable with 8 or 10 years max. My personal, untested opinion only.

This thread reminds me of a youtube channel where the guy opens cans from like 1940, and sees what it looks like inside, then eats the contents. It's interesting just seeing what the labels looked like and what brands existed back then, but the eating of the contents is an added bonus :ROFLMAO:

This thread reminds me of a youtube channel where the guy opens cans from like 1940, and sees what it looks like inside, then eats the contents. It's interesting just seeing what the labels looked like and what brands existed back then, but the eating of the contents is an added bonus :ROFLMAO:
Are you Talking about New England Wildlife & More, who is the same guy that does the Post10 channel where he unclogs drains and culverts.

I have this old Quaker State filter in my stash. I am not sure if I will use it or not on my 2012 Honda Civic 1.8. I am not positive if it will even fit but I think it will. I don't know how to read the date code but it has to be 8 years old or older. It has a little surface rust on it however the insides are new.
If that’s rust on metal seam I see I won’t use it.

I used ancient Allied Signal Fram tough guard. We never determine date of manufacture. Pushed it beyond 15k and it looked ok.

I used a few 10+ year old Mobil 1 oil filters without issue. This was in a 1995 Corvette LT1 with strong oil pressure. Generally I think an oil filter has to be really old for an age-related failure, but storage conditions affect the aging process a LOT. Also there is potential for significant harm to the engine with an oil filter failure, so it's a bit of a balancing act when deciding to use an older oil filter. I would not run a 10 year old oil filter again unless I knew how it had been stored.

I got some 20 year old Frams from a yard sale-- four for $.25, LOL. They worked fine.

I'm still sitting on some Purolator-made red-grippy-can Advance Auto filters from 2005-06.

It's got a Purolator date code - the 2nd line. The sticky thread at the top of this forum shows how to read it.

That filter has quite a bit of rust on the edge of the can.

Back