Volvo dealer used abrasive wheel to clean engine sump

I didn’t want to leave a review until they had the opportunity to resolve the situation. A review prior to their resolution didn’t seem fair. A lot of people use a negative Google review as a starting point for addressing a problem, but if you’ve already publicly slammed someone, then an effective resolution is more difficult to achieve.
This is absolute truth. If you start the conversation, "I'm never coming back" - why would they even pretend to care.

Great topic, great follow-through on the resolution, and looking forward to this moving forward.

Dealers do not have incentive to do a good job, since they are the experts. Recent experiences with dealers have been bad. If the issue is not on a computer, they have no clue.

As long as the gasket job holds up they are good. I read through the posting a bit more carefully, sounds like they messed with the wrong volvo owner.:oops:

I just realized that I neglected to provide the update I promised. Here is how the UOA looked in November. 200 miles on M1 0W40 (used a flush) In a word: great.

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0136.jpeg

We have a plan to sample again at 1.000 miles. I haven’t driven the car since mid December, so, it’s not getting a lot of miles.

The car runs great. It’s a pleasure to drive, lots of power, great grip, great brakes. Nothing like it.

Here it is in Loveland Pass in December, on my way to Keystone.

IMG_2682.jpeg

And to your point @burbguy82 - it’s true, I am not the typical Volvo owner. Which makes me either your best, most helpful customer (see this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-gone-wrong-but-corrected-by-the-shop.378909/ ) or a very well-informed potential adversary.

I am glad it didn’t come to that.

This thread has been a saga, for certain. Still love this car.

Last edited:
I have been remiss.

Here is the first 1,000 mile UOA from the HPL we added back in October, after the 200 mile “flush” with M1 0W40. In a word, great. Also, checked with @High Performance Lubricants - there should be about 10 PPM Al in the oil itself, as a catalyst for the Moly. So, the Al in this UOA is not from the engine, it’s from the oil, leading to the conclusion that the engine wear is near zero.

I’ll be back in Colorado this month, hope to run the V70R up to the mountains at least a few times, so, perhaps we will get to the next 1,000 mile UOA.

IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

Once gain, I am grateful for the help of both @wwillson and @High Performance Lubricants in the oil analysis for this car. I am, in fact, breathing easier over the whole affair.

I have been remiss.

Here is the first 1,000 mile UOA from the HPL we added back in October, after the 200 mile “flush” with M1 0W40. In a word, great. Also, checked with @High Performance Lubricants - there should be about 10 PPM Al in the oil itself, as a catalyst for the Moly. So, the Al in this UOA is not from the engine, it’s from the oil, leading to the conclusion that the engine wear is near zero.

I’ll be back in Colorado this month, hope to run the V70R up to the mountains at least a few times, so, perhaps we will get to the next 1,000 mile UOA.

View attachment 202030

View attachment 202031

Once gain, I am grateful for the help of both @wwillson and @High Performance Lubricants in the oil analysis for this car. I am, in fact, breathing easier over the whole affair.
Wait which oil is this again? I don't recall any Al in my Euro 5W40 VOA?

Wait which oil is this again? I don't recall any Al in my Euro 5W40 VOA?
This is the Euro 0W40. So, perhaps a slightly different formulation? When I saw the 6PPM of Aluminum, I asked David directly, and he said it was the catalyst for the moly.

This is the Euro 0W40. So, perhaps a slightly different formulation? When I saw the 6PPM of Aluminum, I asked David directly, and he said it was the catalyst for the moly.
Ah, maybe the 0W has a slightly different forumlation. The 5W40 Euro has no Al in the VOA. Has ~10ppm Si.

@Astro14

That is a nice car looking car. Would you recommend HPL oil testing over Blackstone or others?
Thanks - I like it as well.

I'm not the forum expert on oil analysis, there are folks much smarter than me. I have been happy with Blackstone, despite what some have said. I am happy with Wearcheck, paid for by Wayne in this case.

I bought a couple kits directly from @High Performance Lubricants - buy the kits from them, and they are prepaid for the analysis at Wearcheck. I bought this pump as well, allows you to fill the sample container without having to drain the oil, or risking contamination. It uses a variety of nylon/poly line diameters, so, cut a bit of fresh line, screw the sample jar in place, and extract your sample. Easy.

I have sent my first Wearcheck sample in, and that reminds me, I need to call them...

I would go straight to the general manager with this. You want your money back plus all the oil and filters you used. Tell them you are willing to get a lawyer to get paid for your time that you had to waste.

Sorry, didn’t realize this was an old thread.

Last edited:
Just for Astro14.

Here is every bodys over rated top tech doing what he does best. Just observe his gasket cleaning techniques.
It will bring back some memories. Yeah just wow. I have a very difficult time watching some of the things he does.
Start at about the 5 minute area for the entertainment.

Just for Astro14.

Here is every bodys over rated top tech doing what he does best. Just observe his gasket cleaning techniques.
It will bring back some memories. Yeah just wow. I have a very difficult time watching some of the things he does.

I loathe him
I put Ray on the same tier as Mr.Subaru, just beyond irritating to listen to
Not as bad as old Scotty, but not far away

Come back Ericthecarguy, all is forgiven 😲
I called him out once years back on re-using brake fluid contaminated friction material, he didn't like that 🙄

Even this mechanic I follow on TikTok, I've thought very highly of him, right until I saw the green scrubbing pad on the cylinder head 😭

Apparently mechanics all around aren't aware of the dangers of aluminum/zirconium oxide contamination 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
They don't have simple common sense. And most importantly they don't care. Its funny how all the unknowings constantly praise them.
This all shows that ALL mechanics just go as fast as they can. I have never been a speed mechanic, and would rather brag about how long it takes me to do a job.

Just for Astro14.

That guy is a butcher.
At least I leave the engine running while I do that.. 🤪

Thanks - I like it as well.

I'm not the forum expert on oil analysis, there are folks much smarter than me. I have been happy with Blackstone, despite what some have said. I am happy with Wearcheck, paid for by Wayne in this case.

I bought a couple kits directly from @High Performance Lubricants - buy the kits from them, and they are prepaid for the analysis at Wearcheck. I bought this pump as well, allows you to fill the sample container without having to drain the oil, or risking contamination. It uses a variety of nylon/poly line diameters, so, cut a bit of fresh line, screw the sample jar in place, and extract your sample. Easy.

I have sent my first Wearcheck sample in, and that reminds me, I need to call them...

I just stumbled on this thread. I still have my 06 SR, bought brand new. Just broke 22,000 this year. Tuned out to about 360 horses. Atacama is still showroom.

It never, ever, sees the dealer. Most of them still don’t know how to fix them. Its last dealer visit was for the airbag recall. Very begrudgingly so. Lost my blue stitching and leather cover. Better than a shotgun shell in the face, though.

Half the shop stood around and stared at it. A couple older salesmen, too. Yes, they are rare today. I still wouldn’t let it out of my sight, and stood right by them as they did the job. And then got right the hell out of there.

If you want your R broken, take it to a dealer. Most of them were pumping 7,500 bulk tank conventional into them when they were new. And then wondering why they were coming back all sludged up. Do yourself a favor, and find an older Volvo Independent shop for one of these. They’re still out there, and they know what these cars are.

If any shop did that to mine, I’d be in there with a baseball bat.

Unless you are heavily tuning it, these will run very nicely on any Group IV 5w30, at a 5,000 interval. Back in the day, we all figured that to be the optimal arrangement from all the UOAs people were running on them. The white block is generally pretty solid, as long as you don’t tune the blower too hot … or an upper wall can crack.

I ran mine on GC until it ran out, and have been running it on M1 0w40 ever since. As I said, mine’s tuned a bit, or I would probably just run a 5w30 in it. I don’t track it anymore; both it and me are a little too old now.

Oh, one other word of advice on these, as they are now approaching year 20, and most are dangerously lazy about it.

If you have not kept up with it, replace the compact spare. If it’s still OE, it is approaching 20 years old. Do it, now. Besides being useless and unsafe at this point, at 60 psi, it may eventually do a “Firestone 500” in the compartment. And it sits right next to the starting battery. If you’ve ever seen a steel belt explode through a tread, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

The original T115 85R18 Pirellis are no longer made, by anyone. So substitute a 125 70R18, which fits and is within 2% of your road tires (and the Haldex system will thank you for that as you limp home).

Back