Any standalone GPS users here still?

We were discussing this elsewhere - sort of.

I cant get a map big enough into my phone to cover my trip.
We were discussing this elsewhere - sort of.

I cant get a map big enough into my phone to cover my trip.
It sounds like you'd be best off with a standalone GPS unit with a decent base map. Even then you may have to occasionally add more detailed maps for some areas.

Last edited:
In principle, why is data needed for traffic information? I get traffic information on my 10 year old GPS unit. No 'data' involved.

Dont know for your state/area.......but here you get more up to date road infos via Smartphone link then trough TMC......

In principle, why is data needed for traffic information? I get traffic information on my 10 year old GPS unit. No 'data' involved.
They broadcast it on an FM band or on my car there's a Sirius traffic option. But it's way less accurate. Tells you about a traffic jam that just disappeared 10 minutes ago. Google maps is much more current, they use the data from other phones running in the area...

I still use a Garmin Nuvi. It is easier to use then a smartphone for navigation when on the road, and I prefer to use my phone for other purposes.
I literally say to my phone, "Hey google, navigate to McDonalds" and that's it. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I use zero voice control on any of my phones or technology.

I've also been seeing less Alexa commercials. (None for awhile, actually.)

I think maybe it doesn't work as advertised
And people are just sick of it.

Maybe he's not headed to McDonald's.

If that's all you need it for then a phone works great.
You can say an address too. Like "hey google, navigate to 245 South Main Street, Philadelphia, PA" Literally seconds to do instead of punching in 20 things on an ancient GPS with outdated Maps and no real time traffic data.

You can say an address too. Like "hey google, navigate to 245 South Main Street, Philadelphia, PA" Literally seconds to do instead of punching in 20 things on an ancient GPS with outdated Maps and no real time traffic data.
If you had read why people use a stand alone GPS you would see why it doesn't really have anything to do with just speaking in an address.

Yes there will be some people that can't figure out how to navigate with their phone, or just don't want to. But that has nothing to do with why people that travel a great deal for a living may use a stand alone GPS.

Last edited:
I've used WAZE and Google maps, I like my Garmin a whole lot better.

It has Traffic and life time maps which I update at least four times a year.

The first time I realized that the traffic feature will actively direct you around a traffic jam amazed me.
It was showing a 30 minute traffic delay ahead and directed me off the next exit. The GPS guided me around the traffic jam by way of side roads, back to my planned route on the other side of the accident, that was causing the delay.

It has Traffic and life time maps which I update at least four times a year.
This is a downside, google maps updates on it's own while sitting in your pocket. No fussing with manual updates or software on a computer.

The first time I realized that the traffic feature will actively direct you around a traffic jam amazed me.
It was showing a 30 minute traffic delay ahead and directed me off the next exit. The GPS guided me around the traffic jam by way of side roads, back to my planned route on the other side of the accident, that was causing the delay.
Phones do this as well, and have for the last decade. They are sourced by the data from those using google maps around you which is much more reliable/accurate than the FM transmission method that GPS uses. Phones can also use the cell towers for location if the GPS signal is weak in areas. Waze will also alert you of police/speed traps and debris on the road.

Maybe a stupid question what happens when you are using your phone for navigation and you get a phone call? You pick up the phone but then cant see where you are going and miss your exit or something. I've used the navi function on a my old phone but get a "lost signal" message so often, it's nearly useless. May be better on my new phone. And doesn't it use up some of your data?

Maybe a stupid question what happens when you are using your phone for navigation and you get a phone call? You pick up the phone but then cant see where you are going and miss your exit or something. I've used the navi function on a my old phone but get a "lost signal" message so often, it's nearly useless. May be better on my new phone. And doesn't it use up some of your data?
It's impressive, it keeps navigation open and puts the phone call in a little bubble on the screen. That's on Android at least. If you are actually putting the phone up to your ear then obviously this won't work.

Bluetooth. It's great in my car, people can't even tell I'm in the car.

You still have to hit the button to switch back to the navigation as it will display the phone call screen. You download maps in advance via wifi so lost signals don't matter. Verizon doesn't really work well with data when on a phone call so you don't really get traffic data til you hang up.

That's great if you want Google listening to, analyzing, and potentially recording and sending who knows where everything within earshot. No thanks, I'll happily use my ancient GPS or even a printed map in preference to that.

That's great if you want Google listening to, analyzing, and potentially recording and sending who knows where everything within earshot. No thanks, I'll happily use my ancient GPS or even a printed map in preference to that.
Oh yeah, only Google isn't really "listening" in the traditional sense. It's scanning for trigger words, not saving anything it hears until it gets triggered. And what exactly are you afraid of google hearing about? You plot to take over the world? Or just the average murder/robbery plot? Because guess what, no one has ever been caught for any of that because google was "listening". I for one have nothing interesting for it to "hear".

Oh yeah, only Google isn't really "listening" in the traditional sense. It's scanning for trigger words, not saving anything it hears until it gets triggered. And what exactly are you afraid of google hearing about? You plot to take over the world? Or just the average murder/robbery plot? Because guess what, no one has ever been caught for any of that because google was "listening". I for one have nothing interesting for it to "hear".
You have no idea what they may be doing or what they will be doing with voice data in the future. I don't trust Google or other tech giantsa and do not use any Google, Microsoft, or Apple products, nor do I use Alexa or any voice control gadgets. What I may be plotting is none of your business or Google's.

Back