Any reason I can't use 5W30 short term for engine calling for 0W20?

Putting a first Gen Honda Insight back on the road that's been sitting 6 years and will be doing two oil changes a few hundred miles apart to clean the engine internally. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30 that I got during the Walmart clearance for 10 cents a quart for the first change before using the correct 0W20 on the next one?

If you look up a 2000 Insight on Amsoil, it says 5W20 or 5W30 may be used if 0W20 is not available.
That info stated by Amsoil may be in the Honda owners manual. In 2000, the Honda Insight may have been the first car in North America to use 0W20 and finding it was a trick??

If you look up a 2000 Insight on Amsoil, it says 5W20 or 5W30 may be used if 0W20 is not available.
That info stated by Amsoil may be in the Honda owners manual. In 2000, the Honda Insight may have been the first car in North America to use 0W20 and finding it was a trick??
The OM does say 5W20 is acceptable but no mention of 5W30. Yes it was the first one. You could only find it at the dealer back then.

I would use it as long as I wasn't in some really, really cold climate. What would be far more important is getting the oil flowing before you actually crank it the first time.

Absolutely no issue with using it, even for a long period of time (if you want to). It's a 22 year old engine, and would've probably allowed a thicker oil in the manual if it wasn't a US owner's manual.
I know this is a different manufacturer, but the new KIA K5 with the 1.6L specs 0W-20 on the cap and in the owner's manual, but on Alldata it has an "old style" chart, where up to a XW-40 oil is allowed. The new RAV4 calling for 0W-16 also is this way. The "newer" Mercedes at work spec 229.71 (which is 0W-20) or .51/.52/.61, which 229.51 allows for SAE 5W-40 viscosity.

As long as it's not something like 20W-50 at -40 degrees or way too thin, engines do not care about oil viscosity, even these "super new" ones, or old ones. I'm sure others with have reasons for using only the viscosity listed on the cap, but 99% of engines it will make no difference.

Not only can you use the 5w30, you can leave it in there. Honda's engines are not fussy about oil viscosity. In some parts of the world 5w30 is Honda's recommended oil viscosity. The only downside will be a 0.1 mpg drop in MPG (if even that).

Putting a first Gen Honda Insight back on the road that's been sitting 6 years and will be doing two oil changes a few hundred miles apart to clean the engine internally. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30 that I got during the Walmart clearance for 10 cents a quart for the first change before using the correct 0W20 on the next one?
It will be fine as long as temps are not below -20F.

No reason not too IMO especially with a synthetic with decent cold flow numbers. If it makes you feel better go look at the owners manuals in ROW where they were sold, probably in Australia they recommended 5W30. I'm only 5k miles out of the Outback powertrain warranty and started running mobil1 syn 5w30 instead of 0W20. The engine spends a bit of time at 1400 rpm with some load on it not too. Still runs 98C oil temps in winter too.
In my subaru manual it also shows it needs an SN oil of XWXX which makes me think the SN is the important part, and a 0 or 5 W XX/whatever is really fine.

As long as the oil temp is not below -20F it will be fine. 20 grade should be worth roughly 0.3 mpg during highway cruising in that vehicle (based on what little engineering data I've seen).

Incidentally whether I ran 0W-20 Synthetic or 5W20 Blend after the cleanup would depend on my use cycle. Blend would be fine if you are not going to make anywhere close to allowable mileage before timing out on the oil.

Last edited:
Back