Any reason I can't use 5W30 short term for engine calling for 0W20?

Putting a first Gen Honda Insight back on the road that's been sitting 6 years and will be doing two oil changes a few hundred miles apart to clean the engine internally. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30 that I got during the Walmart clearance for 10 cents a quart for the first change before using the correct 0W20 on the next one?
(y) use what you like.

Neither is going to do any cleaning, so if that's the goal here, you may want to use an actual cleaning product or at least an oil that claims to actually clean like M1 0w-40. @High Performance Lubricants makes an ester-based dedicated engine cleaner oil that could be mixed with your 5w-30 to provide some actual cleaning power.

Neither is going to do any cleaning, so if that's the goal here, you may want to use an actual cleaning product or at least an oil that claims to actually clean like M1 0w-40. @High Performance Lubricants makes an ester-based dedicated engine cleaner oil that could be mixed with your 5w-30 to provide some actual cleaning power.
Maybe not so much cleaning as getting out all the 6 year old oil. Like a spill and fill on a transmission.

Out of curiosity, are you doing anything special to the hybrid battery before starting the car up?
Anything to the engine? Cranking a few times by hand, maybe a bit of oil through the plug hole, anything like that?
I'm hopefully going to get one back on the road soon too, which has been sitting for 2+ years.
Planning on draining the very old (4+ yr now?) oil cold, and also considering fill options.

I think shell.de suggested 5W-30 for this engine even. I might try a 0W-30, or just a 'regular' PP 5W-30. 0W-30 seems hard to find on sale here at the moment.

Nothing really. After sitting that long the car starts on the 12V starter anyway. The fuel pump was dead as mentioned in another post but after replacing that, it ran fine and the HV battery charged up to the max and starts off that too. Haven't driven it enough to tell if it's still any good though.

If you belive Mobil's photos the Accord top end sure looked cleaner after 100,000+ mi of M1 EP at 15,000 mi OCi.

Putting a first Gen Honda Insight back on the road that's been sitting 6 years and will be doing two oil changes a few hundred miles apart to clean the engine internally. Any reason I shouldn't use Mobil 1 5W30 that I got during the Walmart clearance for 10 cents a quart for the first change before using the correct 0W20 on the next one?

Go for it.

Well he did say, "Neither is going to do any cleaning...".
LOL! OK, any noticeable cleaning. Oils aren't designed to clean, they are designed to keep things clean, and you'll notice that their marketing literature is crafted to convey that point, but it's very easy for the consumer to infer that the product cleans. There are few instances where the manufacturer will state that the product can actually clean, in the cases that I'm aware of, that company has been Mobil.

I feel like with almost 10,000 messages, the poster already knew the answer.
This topic gets discussed almost every day.
That's why I don't go on here much anymore, because it's always a "thick vs thin", and the same questions every day

LOL! OK, any noticeable cleaning. Oils aren't designed to clean, they are designed to keep things clean, and you'll notice that their marketing literature is crafted to convey that point, but it's very easy for the consumer to infer that the product cleans. There are few instances where the manufacturer will state that the product can actually clean, in the cases that I'm aware of, that company has been Mobil.
I never forget the saying about what we do to ourselves when we assUme. :) Done it to myself already.
Cleaning? Exactly as u say these days. Maybe one or two others have claimed that at one time or another
in the past. Not that I know of these days. Even Amsoil (have heard some that think it cleans) actually sells an
Engine cleaner treatment in a bottle. Never had a need or urge to put such a thing in any of my engines.
Straight up motor oil is enough for mine.

Sure you can and maybe should. You can even try 0w40, 10w30, 5w40 or 10w40 (best time to try it in summer). No one will know for sure which one your car will feel comfortable with even Honda's engineers. I use 0w40 in my 2019 GM despite my manual strictly calling for Dexos 0w20 and nothing else.

Back