ANy Lever 22LR recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handled the Henry this morning. Nice rifle, and I have let them know I intend to buy it once my permit comes through. It also has a nice price, which for my first rifle, I think is a good thing - I'll shoot lots of rounds to improve my rifle skills with time before I spend the big bucks.

I don't think new Win 9422 are being sold any more, certainly not advertised on olin's website for australia. the dealer could not find it in their system either.

Shannow, the old permit system is still in place. the store owner said they (NSW Police) have not found a way of implementing the new rego specific system.

I can tell you I was simply amazed by the quality of the CZ 452 bolt action. Beautifully made, a notch above the Henry's, for sure. Great wooden stock and finish. the bolt was a bit "grippy" but I am sure it will work in. Maybe my next one will be a bolt.

The firearms store said that the Henrys sell really well for them, and order it in 2-3 gun batches that are sold out pretty quick.

Can anyone explain why bolt actions are so much cheaper than levers? Mass production? Easier to make?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I own a Henry Golden Boy .22 Lever gun. No problems with function or build. Good smooth action that feels better the faster you cycle it. I use candy tubes as a speed loader of sorts. The only con to this one for me, is that it feels like a toy or BB gun.

That's interesting. I always think of Henry rifles as heavy beasts, not toy guns.

As for the 1894, I the JMB designed that.

Anyways as I stated the Win variant is super slick. It reminds me of some Marlin variants that have been slicked up.

Pabs, must say the bottom of the line Henry I handled this AM did have some weight to it for a 22.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'd only buy a Winchester lever action.

I'd only be shooting if for nostalgia anyway. Winchester made the most famous lever guns.

There is very little advantage to them over a semi-auto, so it would just be for fun-factor anyway.

hi Falken,

As SHannow mentioned, lever action is popular here, for sport shooting. Semi autos are banned.

Crinkles, I think lever guns are even more complex to make than most semi-autos even.

When I take apart my Ruger 10/22 I'm amazed with the simplicity of the action.

Aside from complexity, I think they don't sell nearly as many lever guns as they used to. They just aren't very popular any more.

The bolt gun and the semi-auto are extremely popular.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

Can anyone explain why bolt actions are so much cheaper than levers? Mass production? Easier to make?
Remington has been making quality bolt guns for ages. Took over producing Marlins and fell flat on their face. Levers are complex and take some know how to put together.

Between my dad and I we have a pump, a lever action, a bolt action and a few autos. They are all fun to shoot. My dad's Rossi pump was the first gun he ever bought, he also has a 39M. I didn't have any idea the 39's were as valuable as they are until I read it here recently. He bought a Henry last year, but didn't like it.

I have my grandpa's old Marlin 25 bolt action it is a joy to shoot also, but the 7 round magazines kind of suck. My first gun was a Remington 552 Speedmaster. It has been a good one, it never got cleaned or lubed for the first 5000 rounds or so. It started having light strikes from the firing pin channel being carboned up.

A friend of mine's dad bought s few Martinis from Austraila several years ago.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

I don't think new Win 9422 are being sold any more, certainly not advertised on olin's website for australia. the dealer could not find it in their system either.

Indeed they stopped making them in 2005. I mentioned looking used, but that may not be a possibility.

I wish I would have bought a standard, a commemorative, a .22WMR, and a .17 to collect, besides just the XTR, which was around $300 in 1987. Don't get me wrong, I shoot my XTR and it even shoots .22 shorts with no issues.

Found this:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-lever-action/71514-winchester-9422-vs-henry-h001.html

From WIKI:

Quote:
Winchester Model 9422

Winchester's Model 9422 was introduced in 1972 and was rapidly recognized for high quality. It was designed to capture the image of the traditional lever-actions with exposed hammer, straight grip, tube magazine and barrel bands. Unlike older Winchester lever actions it came grooved for scope mounting. It was offered in .22 Long Rifle and .22 WMR, and was priced at the high-quality end of the .22 sporting rifle market.

The 9422 action design was original and extremely reliable. The feed system handled the cartridge from the magazine to the breech face by its rim, and the slide cammed the rear of the breechblock up into the locking recess. A concealed polymer buffer above the breech gave a firm-feeling lockup and a very positive unlocking motion.

The 9422 had worldwide appeal to customers raised on 'westerns' and to those looking for a fun and historic way to introduce their children to shooting. Over the course of production a higher finished model called the 9422 XTR, a .17 rimfire model, and several commemorative models were offered. Production ended in 2005

The CZ452/453 series is a real nice rifle. They stopped producing most models of the 452 (at least for the US) in favor of the 455 (which is in some ways better and some ways not as good) and 452s are sought after.

I do have a friend who has a Henry golden boy, and he likes it a lot, I don't recall ever shooting it.

Anyway, congratulations on the Henry.

crinkles, look at the average .22 bolt gun, and it's a round barrel, round bolt, on a tubular receiver. Very machinable, very easy got get things concentric.

Levers have to marry square and slab sides to round sections. So aside from being less of them, they have many more machining steps.

Don't know if you bought yet. My lever 22 is a Browning BL-22, been fine with me. I am partial to Brownings though, I have others.

My Permit to acquire should arrive this coming week... it's been more than 28 days. Hopefully have it by the 10th. Shop still hasn't the Henry come in, going through customs etc etc. If all else fails I'll go for the BL-22 but that adds a few $.

Bought my Rifle on the 16th of August!

Now for the shooting... What cleaning do I need to do before the first shoot?

(limited to shooting at the range on specific dates...)

Not a big fan of cleaning from the muzzle with a rod...

I'd get some whipper snipper cord (cheap stuff), and with a lighter, melt a blob on one end, then with a sharp knife cut the other end to a point.

Thread a patch down the cord, so that it catches on the ball, and pull through, in the direction of bullet travel, being careful not to drag the cord across the muzzle.

Adjust the size of the ball to work, or double up on patches (flannel).

Ed's Red with lots of lanolin
Gum turps
ATF
Kero
Acetone

Lots of people with .22s don't clean, but the powder residue that I push out here in Lithgow after a couple of weeks is pretty damp. Coast should be moreso.

Have fun and enjoy.

With a lever one has to clean from the muzzle at times, just use a coated rod. I use a 20 cal rod to make it easy.

I clean a new gun with a few damp patches before I shoot. My last would be a mostly dry patch.

I used a browning lever.22 and it kept jamming with remington yellowjacket ammo. i wanted to buy a henry but bought a savage instead. people seem to like the henry repeaters from what I have read.

Well I ended up taking my Henry levergun it out for a general shoot. Shot high at 25m, higher at 50m, and shotgun pattern at 100m. Can post targets if needed? Shot sitting down with elbows on bench, open sights. Figured I should rather use a 6 o'clock hold than center hold, and try standard or subsonic rather than HV that I used this weekend.
There's no more room on the sight elevator to adjust elevation - it's on its lowest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not a big fan of cleaning from the muzzle with a rod...

I'd get some whipper snipper cord (cheap stuff), and with a lighter, melt a blob on one end, then with a sharp knife cut the other end to a point.

Thread a patch down the cord, so that it catches on the ball, and pull through, in the direction of bullet travel, being careful not to drag the cord across the muzzle.

Adjust the size of the ball to work, or double up on patches (flannel).

Ed's Red with lots of lanolin
Gum turps
ATF
Kero
Acetone

Lots of people with .22s don't clean, but the powder residue that I push out here in Lithgow after a couple of weeks is pretty damp. Coast should be moreso.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mine was dirty from the factory, cleaned it, and dirtier after my first shoot of 110 rounds. had a bit of caking around the muzzle, which came of pretty easy with the cleaner that night.

I like the idea of nylon line to pull a patch forward, but seems like an easy way to jam the barrel with a lost patch because the blob may pull through the patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back