Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true I'm glad they found it, and once I'm certain I'm in for a 2013 Wrangler. I've been very happy with my 08 Liberty, and always wanted a Wrangler.

A wrangler would be a LOT more fun with the power of the Pstar V6 in it. My BIL's is a bit boring with that table flat power curve of the old 6.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A wrangler would be a LOT more fun with the power of the Pstar V6 in it. My BIL's is a bit boring with that table flat power curve of the old 6.

+1

It IS a lot more fun with the Pentastar. The wail of that engine at 6000 rpm is fantastic. The old lethargic 4.0L would buzz and wheeze its way to about 4500 rpm. It would get the job done, but you don't have much fun in the process.

That's my point exactly. The six he has now is so 'flat' that you can't really tell any difference past about 1/2 throttle. It just has no response to your foot.

The new Pstar seems to be a great design. Chryco has a ton resting on this engine's success. They are going to fix this and keep moving forward.

And I really like where they're headed!

Is there a 3.6 Liberty in the Future?

The old 3.7's getting pretty long in the tooth, IMHO.

Cheers!

p.s. It's a shame about the diesel goin' South...

And I really like where they're headed!

Me too. It almost feels like the mid-to-late '90s all over again with Chrysler. I think the late '90s was Chrysler's most exciting and successful period in the relatively modern era.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Is there a 3.6 Liberty in the Future?

The old 3.7's getting pretty long in the tooth, IMHO.

Cheers!

p.s. It's a shame about the diesel goin' South...

IIRC they had a smaller version or the Pstar for the Liberty planned. But those plans might have been squashed.

I thought I'd bring this up to the top before I headed for work and see if there's any new info I might have missed.

They opened the order banks up for the 2013 Wranglers a few weeks back. People are still reporting new cases of the ticking issue resulting the in having to replace the left head on the 2012's. My Aerostar oil leak is getting worse, it needs suspension work, and I am not going to drop the oil pan, or sink any more money into it. I need a new vehicle, and I'd rather not settle for something I don't want! This is something I've always wanted, but I don't need a headache with a $35,000-$40,000 vehicle either. I can probably wait until about October and see if the 2013's are having issues. Or just junk the Aerostar ahead of time and live with 2 vehicles, and scrap the Wrangler idea totally.
frown.gif
What's a man to do? LOL

If you really want a Wrangler, and can afford it, get yourself a Wrangler!

Yes, there may be some issues with the new V-6, by Chryco isn't going to let this get out of hand - way tooo much resting on this engine for that.Heaven forbid, but if you DO have a problem, Chryco will most likely fix it.

If you hesistated on buying a vehicle b/c it 'might' have problems, you'd never buy one! They ALL have some 'issues', or you occassionally get lemons. Can't live in fear of that your whole driving life, man!

I've had my 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 for 5 months so far. About 20,000 km, mostly mountains. It is real responsive, 10 to 12% more economical than my 2009, and the transmission/engine torque is very smooth.

No problems or complaints. Very impressive.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If you really want a Wrangler, and can afford it, get yourself a Wrangler!

Yes, there may be some issues with the new V-6, by Chryco isn't going to let this get out of hand - way tooo much resting on this engine for that.Heaven forbid, but if you DO have a problem, Chryco will most likely fix it.

If you hesistated on buying a vehicle b/c it 'might' have problems, you'd never buy one! They ALL have some 'issues', or you occassionally get lemons. Can't live in fear of that your whole driving life, man!

No fear here, I'm just a bit more cautious than usual. I've owned my fair share of new vehicles, the difference here is I'm aware of the problem with this engine. That's what the purpose of this thread is, to see how widespread it is or if they've nailed it. Normally I'd can the idea of buying all together and move toward something else. Honestly I don't like anything else at the moment, except for a GC, and they use the same engine. What I'm trying to avoid is having one head swapped on a vehicle after its logged 10,000 miles or more. Having the problem early on isn't as bad IMO. But then not having the problem would be even better.
smile.gif

I'm hoping to hear is that Chrysler fixed the issue, and it's behind them, I haven't seen that yet.

I wouldn't worry about the issues people complain about on forums. People come to forums to report issues. I've had mine for 6 months/7k mi. 0 issues. 0 ticks.

My ex girlfriend lives in Ohio and has a 2011 Wrangler with the 3.8 engine, NOT the Pentastar, with electrical and fuel system issues. She had it in the shop enough times to get it lemon lawed and they are giving her enough to purchase a new Wrangler. They don't make them in Detonator Yellow anymore and she doesn't like Dozer so she's torn between Gecko Green and Orange Crush. Thing is she can't find both colors at the same dealer at the same time to compare them side-by-side. I'm afraid she's trading one set of problems for another, much worse set.

Not sure if this has been posted but I looked through the thread and didn't see it:

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/fix-coming-for-rare-pentastar-problem

Remains to be seen whether Chrysler will actively take care of the existing owners who have the problem. I have heard (internet, not firsthand) reports of dealerships just resetting the computer and sending people on their way claiming it is normal injector noise. Some of those have subsequently wound up going back to the dealer several times before the dealers replaced the head. Also it seems like it can take quite some time to get the head in for the replacement, I don't know if they are prioritizing the assy line over warranty issues or what else could be the holdup.

I'm holding my breath on this deal, I have a 3.6 that seems "ticky" but hasn't caused a CEL yet. We will see. I sure would like to see this get handled the right way by Chrysler, so far it's not clear whether folks are getting treated right or not.

"What kind of new car are you interested in, today, Ma'am?"

"A PINK one! How much do I have to pay each month?"

Cheers!

p.s. It's OK, Mary Kay!

Originally Posted By: CheezWhiz
Huh?

Not you, CheezWhiz. A couple posts before re: unavailable colors for 2011 Wranglers...

Cheers!

p.s. Back in the day the Mary Kay "I made it!" cars were pink Caddy's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back