Anti-seize on brake pad ear slider hardware?

OK update:
cleaned all the slider pins on all the calipers, a majority of them were already frozen in place!! 😮 I used the new lubrication that I should’ve used the first time 😂 And installed the new caliper bracket

All is well thankfully!

Thank you for all the feedback! premature wear out of the pads has been avoided! All the pins move beautifully now.

🙏
Being in NY with the snow you get, I would recommend once a year (I do before and after winter here in MA) relube Slide pins, take pads out, clean up any rust or salt debris on or under the clips

That was my point: the FSM says one thing, but the factory does something else.

Similar to how Honda's FSM says to use anti-seize on spark plugs, but it is clear that it was not used from the factory.
It was on my Honda v6. Maybe honda can’t make up its mind…

The past several years I've been working through a big jar of purple Permatex brake caliper grease. Seems to work as well as anything else I've used over the years. No stuck pins or pads, though we don't see much rust jacking here like you rust belt guys.

Permatex purple and green seem to have rumors of swelling rubber. I personally experienced Permatex purple swelling up the rubber dampers in the slide pins, so I only use Sil-Glyde on slide pins now. Even if your slide pins don't have a damper, using the wrong grease can deteriorate the rubber boots to a point where they don't clamp as tight which lets water in the sliders.

I still have a small can of Permatex green left, will only be using that on the ears. It'll probably be a lifetime supply for me.

That was my point: the FSM says one thing, but the factory does something else.

Similar to how Honda's FSM says to use anti-seize on spark plugs, but it is clear that it was not used from the factory.
New, clean product versus older surfaces that have seen wear, salt, etc.

Antiseize is ugly messy stuff after a while. Even for its intended purpose it dries out a lot.
I used it liberally on the insides of my wife's brake rotors, they were a bear to get off even with a sledge hammer. Be curious to see how they come off say 5 years later. I put it on the hubs and the rotor hats on the inside.

Funny anyone remember fixed calipers? My Lexus has them front and rear. My BMW floating all 4, as is our GM. But the newer GMs I think are back to fixed. Cop suvs have the 16" rotors with 6 piston calipers on the front, impressive lol

I used it liberally on the insides of my wife's brake rotors, they were a bear to get off even with a sledge hammer. Be curious to see how they come off say 5 years later. I put it on the hubs and the rotor hats on the inside.

Funny anyone remember fixed calipers? My Lexus has them front and rear. My BMW floating all 4, as is our GM. But the newer GMs I think are back to fixed. Cop suvs have the 16" rotors with 6 piston calipers on the front, impressive lol
I did same thing, had no problems getting off after a year or so, pulled right off. I don’t think you will have much of a problem. Hopefully

I feel like people may be confusing two potential aspects of anti-seize here.

1) putting it between two steel surfaces that are mashed or slipped together to slow rust is one thing and it seems to at least buy time. Mating surfaces where rotors meet wb hubs or unit bearings bolt to knuckles are potential examples.

2) using it on surfaces that are supposed to MOVE like slider pins and brake pad ears is very different. It does tend to sort of solidify into a thick paste and thus I'm not sure it's the ideal lubricant or grease for moving parts

I'm not necessarily saying ANYONE here is right or wrong, just that metal surfaces clamped together and moving parts are very different applications.

Thought of this after the fact, when I replace the pads and rotors I used anti-seize on the ears of the pads and the metal slide pad ear guide hardware….

A few days goes by and I remove the rear brake caliper assembly to replace the caliper bracket, and it appears the anti-seize got “hard” and I can actually see this causing resistance on the metal pad ear sliders and causing a sticky pad or something

Did I mess up here by using anti-seize on the slider guides- the metal hardware kit that keeps the pads centered and able to move is what I’m referring to.

To note even the slider pins felt “stuff”

I’m tempted to redo the whole job and use the other kind of a/s I have… use anti-seize on the slider pins at the minimum. Break clean everything out and read do it ….
I might skip use an anti-seize on the metal hardware kit for the pad ears to slide on. (Is this wrong?)

Should I be redoing this, removing the anti-seize off the pad ears and just anti-seize in the pins/sliders?

Thank you all.

This is the hardware kit guides I am talking about

View attachment 108607
This is the a/s I used:
View attachment 108609
I’m thinking I even use the wrong anti-seize tbh. I have this also on hand:
View attachment 108610
Use something synthetic and made for brakes
I like 3m silicone grease

Use something synthetic and made for brakes
I like 3m silicone grease
I couldn’t find my tube made by Ate. So I bought new stuff. Super expensive it was $19 for a jar, now $18 (but I tend to only buy with Amazon the seller not 3rd party if I can help it). I’m not sure why, that’s more than copper anti seize. But I had always heard never use anti seize.

Permatex 24110 Ultra Disc Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBNV6W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thought of this after the fact, when I replace the pads and rotors I used anti-seize on the ears of the pads and the metal slide pad ear guide hardware….

A few days goes by and I remove the rear brake caliper assembly to replace the caliper bracket, and it appears the anti-seize got “hard” and I can actually see this causing resistance on the metal pad ear sliders and causing a sticky pad or something

Did I mess up here by using anti-seize on the slider guides- the metal hardware kit that keeps the pads centered and able to move is what I’m referring to.

To note even the slider pins felt “stuff”

I’m tempted to redo the whole job and use the other kind of a/s I have… use anti-seize on the slider pins at the minimum. Break clean everything out and read do it ….
I might skip use an anti-seize on the metal hardware kit for the pad ears to slide on. (Is this wrong?)

Should I be redoing this, removing the anti-seize off the pad ears and just anti-seize in the pins/sliders?

Thank you all.

This is the hardware kit guides I am talking about

View attachment 108607
This is the a/s I used:
View attachment 108609
I’m thinking I even use the wrong anti-seize tbh. I have this also on hand:
View attachment 108610
Try using the ceramic type instead. It remains a lubricant even with the heat.

I never subscribed to the anti-seize on brakes when there are specific lubes available just for brakes. I prefer CRC synthetic brake lube as its compatible with everything including rubber parts....some brake lubes are not compatible with rubber so if you use those on slide pins with the rubber ring on them they will swell and cause issues. NOW - with that being said GM actually issued TSB's to use copper anti seize on the Cadillac XTS front brakes to eliminate a squeal that was a big warranty concern so you gotta be aware of your application and choose lube appropriately. BUT going with a good brake lube that is fully rubber compatible like CRC is a very good and safe choice.

I never subscribed to the anti-seize on brakes when there are specific lubes available just for brakes. I prefer CRC synthetic brake lube as its compatible with everything including rubber parts....some brake lubes are not compatible with rubber so if you use those on slide pins with the rubber ring on them they will swell and cause issues. NOW - with that being said GM actually issued TSB's to use copper anti seize on the Cadillac XTS front brakes to eliminate a squeal that was a big warranty concern so you gotta be aware of your application and choose lube appropriately. BUT going with a good brake lube that is fully rubber compatible like CRC is a very good and safe choice.
That stuff is definitely not compatible with all types of rubber. I have seen it do some nasty things to slide pin bushings.

That stuff is definitely not compatible with all types of rubber. I have seen it do some nasty things to slide pin bushings.
Interesting to hear that because it clearly says on the bottle that it is and in 2 years I haven't seen any issues.

That is my only concern with it. The bushing on the slide pin that has it. I’ve read where some people haven’t had any issues with it on slide pins, some have

On my accord, I cleaned out the caliper bore and cleaned the slide pin that doesn’t have the bushing on it and lubed it with CRC. The one with the bushing I used Raybestos silicone paste. Will see how it is after the winter

Interesting to hear that because it clearly says on the bottle that it is and in 2 years I haven't seen any issues.
Not everyone uses the same formulation of rubber. Also, once the oil evaporates from the CRC, it becomes a muddy paste.

I use it on the pins and ears. Copper base anti corrosion, not quite anti seize. Last longer than the silicone and no boot issues. I go though them once a year though.

Back