Anti-seize on brake pad ear slider hardware?

Do OEMs apply any lubricant to pad ears or exposed surfaces?? Underneath pad hardware?? I honestly don't know...
Some do, some don't. The FSM for my Infiniti does although it's not clear if they want the lubricant between the hardware and the bracket or the hardware and the pad ears.

I used to liberally lube the brake hardwre, but now I just make sure the caliper bracket is prepped and use a little lube under the hardware and a thin wisp on the pad ears. Too much lube can attract dirt and other crap.
Clean and use Sil-Glide for the pins. Not too much or you will hydraulically limit caliper travel!

You can always periodically take apart the pads, clean and relube the sliding parts.

Personally I’ve always used the Motorcraft silicone brake caliper and dielectric grease on the slide pins and nothing on the hardware or pad or ears. I do clean up the brackets with a wire brush before installing the new hardware but do not lube the area as I’ve seen so much dirt and grit built up on ones that were lubed.

If your pads came with a packet of grease, use that on the pad ears. Otherwise, Sil-Glyde

For the slide pins, use Sil-Glyde.
This right here. Exactly what I do. Worked great for tons of brake jobs to family and friends vehicles. Including some that have operated in the snow and ice.

For fun, Eric O. at South Main Auto doesn't put anything at all on the ears of the pads. He's in Buffalo, NY area. Salt and crap everywhere. No issues I'm aware of.

Yes, but the FSM calls for lube, as @Hall alluded to.
That was my point: the FSM says one thing, but the factory does something else.

Similar to how Honda's FSM says to use anti-seize on spark plugs, but it is clear that it was not used from the factory.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. But I always use Sil-Glide on the ears and guide pins. I use anti-seize on the hub, to keep the rotor from binding.

I have used sil- glyde on slide pins but a while back bought the 3M silicone paste and copper anti-seize.

I use the silicone paste on the slide pins, nothing on the pad ears, and the anti-seize on the hub/rotor and a tiny amount where the hardware clips sit on the caliper bracket.

Living in MA I like to take wheels off before and after winter and relube slide pins and clean off caliper and brackets

I use anti seize on anything that I will have to take apart in the future. I've used ant-seize, or syl glide grease on every part of a brake job that moves. Never a problem on the pins, or the back of the pads, or the bolts that holds everything together. After 50 years of fighting with things the maker says " no additional lubrication required", I found a better way. YRMV.,,,

Picked up the correct lubricant and will tackle this shortly!
AF02F287-6730-46A7-95D5-FE8EE4AADBC1.jpeg

Subaru calls for Molykote Cu7439 on their pad ears and abutment clips - it’s antiseize.

I use Permatex Purple or CRC Silaramic on those. Permatex’s silicone-based grease also works well for those.

I'm not saying I've seen anyone say to use the purple on the slider pins but I seem to recall the purple also doesn't play well with rubber? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

He isn't wrong.

Yup I agree it's not for the sliding pins..and I use that purple permatex grease! But only on the brake pad shims and the ears, that's it. The sliding pins on the Honda get silicone, but the Scion gets the Toyota rubber grease, with the Toyota.. a silicone will cause the rubber bushings the sliding pins move on.. to swell.. ask me how I know! back in the day a dealer used silicone and the calipers were almost locked up within a few weeks! After that I did it myself with the lithium soap grease Toyota specs.. Others like the Honda can and do specify silicone.. just depends on how it's designed.

But in this case with @1 SX he's only going for the contact points of the brake shoes and the sil-glyde he picked up will be perfect for what he's using it for. That's my $0.02..

EDIT: I had to use the ceramic solids (permatex purple grease) because the carbon-kevlar performance pads heated up so much they liquified the standard Toyota grease (for the shims)!! Smelled like a nice BBQ! lol.. Learned my lesson that day! But the ceramic solids can put up with a much higher temperature perfect for carbon-kevlar pads!

OK update:
cleaned all the slider pins on all the calipers, a majority of them were already frozen in place!! 😮 I used the new lubrication that I should’ve used the first time 😂 And installed the new caliper bracket

All is well thankfully!

Thank you for all the feedback! premature wear out of the pads has been avoided! All the pins move beautifully now.

🙏

OK update:
cleaned all the slider pins on all the calipers, a majority of them were already frozen in place!! 😮 I used the new lubrication that I should’ve used the first time 😂 And installed the new caliper bracket

All is well thankfully!

Thank you for all the feedback! premature wear out of the pads has been avoided! All the pins move beautifully now.

🙏
You will know in 6 months to a year as to how you did.

Good job.

Back