Another "what oil to put in my 1.8T Passat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll keep this short and sweet:

Mobil-1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 for lubricant.

OEM filter for filtration.

Change at 5,000 mile intervals.

hey "theericharris" If I were you I'd run the 0w-40 as the 5w-40 Truck & SUV is being discontinued. Personally I've ran the Amsoil AFL 5w-40 and GC, I'm gonna stick with GC myself.

If the previous sludge issue did not need a tear-down and the turbo lines are clear, just use any Group IV oil that meets the 502 spec. required and diesel filter. It looks like this is what you have been doing, so don't fret and steady-as you go.

Keep good records, because as you may know, VW has extended the engine warranty (due to sludge) to 7 years/unlimited miles. There is no need to risk clogging up the oil pump with non-approved oils, only to nix any future oil sludge warranty claim.

You could save some money by buying a case of filters from an on-line OEM supplier.

How is the timing belt & tensioner?

OK - noob question... I understand that GC means German Castrol which I think only comes in a 0W30. The only Syntec approved per VW502.00 is the 5W40 (which I use). Where is the 5W40 made? Is it a better oil than the other Syntec weights?

Garpo,

GC is also VW 502.00 "approved". Check the back of the bottle. The 502.00 spec. is there.

That does raise a red flag, however; Even though the GC bottle lists the VW 502.00 spec., it DOES NOT specifically state that it is VW 502.00 approved. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong on this.

Syntec 5w40 used to be made in Belgium, but it is "reportedly" being made in the USA or Canada now. There is nothing to indicate that it is a "better" oil than GC.

Thanks Wavinwayne. They really need to update the VW502.00 approved list. It doesn't list many other oils which claim to be 502.00 compliant (at least on the label).

Need some advice.

I have a 2002 1.8T Passat. Had sludge issues at only 33K (bought used at 29K...don't ask!". I've done two Auto-RX treatments (finishing up 2nd right now actually). Been running VW 502 approved synthetic since 34K. Car has 53K miles now, no issues that I know.

So now that I'm done with my second AutoRX treatment, what kind of oil should I be using? I'm not under warranty anymore, so I could use non 502 approved.

Here is my list of available oil that I'd like to use:

1. Mobil 1 0w-40 (been using this so far)
2. Mobil 1 5w-40 Truck/SUV
3. Valvoline 5w-40 Synpower

I live in Las Vegas... so the summer gets pretty **** hot. Please consider that in your answers
smile.gif

So....what would you guys run?

BTW, I use the OEM Mann diesel filters. Might start using the large nappa ones if they are cheaper.

I would (& do) run M1 0w40. As one BITOGer likes to day, "No oil is thin enough at cold start-up".

Many others will tell you to use M1 5w40. They will tell you that M1 0w40 shears too much.

I don't think there are very many Synpower 5w40 fans on BITOG, but it will work just fine.

Here are some pictures of the Napa Gold equivalent of your oversized VW filter. This filter can be had at Napa for around $8.75 + tax.

-

-

-

To answer properly, I must ask which category you fall into:
1. "Only the best will do."
2. "As long as there are no problems, I'm happy."

Also, what oil change interval do you plan on doing? Are you willing to buy mail-order oils?

You may not be under powertrain warranty anymore, but why does the 8 yr sludge warranty not apply to you? Assuming it does, I'd stick with the 502.00 oils and 6month/5K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back