Another New Car/First Oil Change Thread

Is your Subaru DI or turbo DI?

I like a3/b4 stuff and typically don't pay attention to owner's manual recommendation (CAFE) but when it comes to DI or Turbo DI, I'm a little more careful about oil selection and consider illusive lspi, ivd, ash contents, low/mid/full saps, etc.
ask @edyvw

Still not really convinced if any of it makes a huge difference in the long run as I haven't seen any independent studies (long term, same engine, different oil kind of studies) ... but meanwhile something to think about.

For what it's worth back when Subaru began using a GDI engine in the WRX (model year 2015) many thought that they could just put the choice oil of the enthusiast crowd, Rotella T6 5w40, in that engine and get good results like they got in the past. What happened though is their dashboards lit up like Christmas trees with check engine lights that would not go away.

I know it's the cool thing on BITOG to use something other than the recommended oil, all the cool kids are doing it and everyone wants to be one of the cool kids. Here are two oils I, being Mr. Subaru, would recommend:

Valvoline Modern Engine 0w20
Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30, if you must use something other than 0w20.

For what it's worth back when Subaru began using a GDI engine in the WRX (model year 2015) many thought that they could just put the choice oil of the enthusiast crowd, Rotella T6 5w40, in that engine and get good results like they got in the past. What happened though is their dashboards lit up like Christmas trees with check engine lights that would not go away.

I know it's the cool thing on BITOG to use something other than the recommended oil, all the cool kids are doing it and everyone wants to be one of the cool kids. Here are two oils I, being Mr. Subaru, would recommend:

In DI engines you want low-SAPS oil.
I would still use in WRX ACEA C3 oils. Thick W30 oils such as Mobil1 ESP 0W30 (I have that now in Tiguan) or ESP 5W30, or any oil that is approved for VW504.00/507.00.

In DI engines you want low-SAPS oil.
I would still use in WRX ACEA C3 oils. Thick W30 oils such as Mobil1 ESP 0W30 (I have that now in Tiguan) or ESP 5W30, or any oil that is approved for VW504.00/507.00.

My post that you replied to was in response to someone who said that they don't pay attention to the owners manual, my example of WRX owners not following the manual by using RT6 5w40 was meant to relate to how that is not always good advice. This site is notorious for having members who recommend doing anything other than what the manufacturer recommends, seemingly as a default attitude. I frequently question that attitude, especially when it gets imposed upon something that I have direct personal experience with, because more often than not it is not even remotely necessary to offer an alternative recommendation.

FYI and not to mislead the op:

I pay attention to owner's manual recommendation as far as any required specs other than viscosity grade which is typically CAFE driven.

Translation :
I haven't used anything below xW30 and prefer a higher hths 30 (a3/b4) if the price is not $10/qt. lol That's why some of the light Euro 40's look attractive now for about $5/qt.

As far as any other specs (besides the grade), I try to use something better than recommendation and prefer European standards & specs.

However, sometimes the voices in my head say "Oil is oil" as long as I keep the oci short which I do. :)

I’m one of the cool kids 😁 that sometimes uses something other than the recommended oil, in the proper application. As you probably know, EJ turbo’s are fine running thicker oils and even my FXT manual allows 10W-40 down to -4° F.

But you hit the nail on the head with the issues of high SAPS oils in Subaru DI engines. Premier Subaru engine builder IAG Performance saw issues early on when they were using Motul X-cess 5W-40 in the DIT WRX and switched to recommending Motul X-clean 5W-30 in their built FA20’s.

FA20DIT WRX change oil at 3000 to Motul 5w30 8100 X-clean EFE and replace oil filter and crush washer. FA20 BRZ / FR-S / GT86 change oil at 3000 to Motul 0w20 8100 Eco-lite and replace oil filter and crush washer

From this point forward for WRX DIT use Motul 5w30 8100 X-clean EFE and for BRZ / FR-S / GT86 use Motul 0w20 8100 Eco-lite changing the oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles.

@SilverGt I’d use the Edge 0W-30 in the BMW and use something else in the Crosstrek. Glad your wife is ok.

Last edited:
we have a di and I've read that full saps oils may not be as suitable for DI engines (ivd) as I mentioned in my first post ...

However, interested in reading about the claim that oil and/or a barely thicker viscosity oil causing "dashboards lit up like Christmas trees with check engine lights that would not go away ...".

Anyone has a link? @Ignatius (aka Mr. Subaru), @bluesubie ?
I searched a little to no avail. Didn't know the check engine lights are that sensitive!

Last edited:
we have a di and I've read that full saps oils may not be as suitable for DI engines (ivd) as I mentioned in my first post ...

However, interested in reading about the claim that oil and/or a barely thicker viscosity oil causing "dashboards lit up like Christmas trees with check engine lights that would not go away ...".

Anyone has a link? @Ignatius (aka Mr. Subaru), @bluesubie ?
I searched a little to no avail. Didn't know the check engine lights are that sensitive!
Off the top of my head, I’ve read of a few check engine lights on both NASIOC and the Forester forum, but IAG’s findings were posted here:

The problem with that is, Valvoline is no longer making Modern Engine

Back