Another HDEO Oil In A Gasser Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sold my 2015 Powerstroke and have quite a bit of synthetic HDEO oil in my stash. My youngest son will be driving age in about 2 years and he wants to fix up a mid to late 80's Jeep CJ7 as a father/son project (radical departure from his first choice). Anyhoo, I am assuming the gallons of Chevron Delo 5W-40 and Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 that I have would be suitable to run in either the 258ci I6 or 304ci V8 that will likely be found in one of them.

What say you?

How does that work these days?

I was looking over the current diesel-rated motor oils and none seem to have any gasoline ratings. I heard it might be due to the high levels of phosphorus that aren't allowed in the newer gasoline engine oil specs.

You wont have a problem, but those oils are really overkill for that application. You may want to look into HDEO 10/30 or the regular 15/40 for about 12-15 a gallon, and save the good stuff. YPW you are correct, the higher anti wear additives destroy the catalysts when it burns, so it can get approvals.

If it's an in-line 6 cylinder Jeep, it will run on just about anything, I've had 5W30, 10W30, 20W50, 15W40 hDEO, and 10W40 in mine-it rattled like the devil on all of them!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
...............be suitable to run in either the 258ci I6 or 304ci V8 that will likely be found in one of them.

Almost any motor oil in the world is pretty darn suitable in the 258 and 304 engines!!!
thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

They are stout and reliable on the very worst oils available.

I recently sold my 2015 Powerstroke and have quite a bit of synthetic HDEO oil in my stash. My youngest son will be driving age in about 2 years and he wants to fix up a mid to late 80's Jeep CJ7 as a father/son project (radical departure from his first choice). Anyhoo, I am assuming the gallons of Chevron Delo 5W-40 and Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 that I have would be suitable to run in either the 258ci I6 or 304ci V8 that will likely be found in one of them.

What say you?

Another vote to use it...

AND....sold the PSD?

Originally Posted by JLTD
I recently sold my 2015 Powerstroke and have quite a bit of synthetic HDEO oil in my stash. My youngest son will be driving age in about 2 years and he wants to fix up a mid to late 80's Jeep CJ7 as a father/son project (radical departure from his first choice). Anyhoo, I am assuming the gallons of Chevron Delo 5W-40 and Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 that I have would be suitable to run in either the 258ci I6 or 304ci V8 that will likely be found in one of them. What say you?
Another vote to use it...AND....sold the PSD?
Yes; I had an offer that was too good to pass up. I changed jobs about this time last year and the PSD was just sitting--which is NOT something to do with a modern, full emissions intact diesel. I am sure that I will buy another truck in the future, but it will likely not be another diesel.

Both oils are SN rated, Delvac 1 5w40, is but not labeled on containers. This paragraph below is directly from Chevron's website,

Delo 400 XSP SAE 5W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology is a mixed-fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CK-4 or API SN service categories and SAE 5W-40 viscosity grades are recommended. It is formulated for engines operating under severe service and a wide range of climatic conditions.

Your good to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back