Another GR86 blown and warranty denied

Wonder if it's RTV-related like the other case?

Racing results in warranty invalidation. Subaru has been known to have photographers and investigators at track events. No racing. (I admit to autocrossing my VW GTI, but that is much slower and not head to head racing. Basically never leave second gear and come nowhere near the tachometer red line.) Plus I am out of warranty time on this car, anyway.

BMW N54 engines have an oil starvation issue when driven at a track. I believe the issue was resolved with the N55 engine. Btw, "N" engines were co-developed with either Renault or Peugeot. I won't touch those engines.
Not true.
N54/55 are not modular engines. Cooperation with Peugeot was on 1.6ltr 4cyl engines which also proved very durable. On that note, 1.5dci engine by Renault is one of the most durable diesel engines ever built. Just to clarify your assumption that somehow those are "lesser" products.

N54/55 engines have oil starvation issues bcs. inline 6. There is too much of an engine and one oil pickup line. That problem is not present on S55 or N55 in M2, as they have two pickup lines. Starvation issues usually happen with highly modified vehicles that are capable of much more G than designed and only in a left turn. xDrive models are not susceptible since the axle goes through oil pan and basically serves as a baffle.

Racing results in warranty invalidation. Subaru has been known to have photographers and investigators at track events. No racing. (I admit to autocrossing my VW GTI, but that is much slower and not head to head racing. Basically never leave second gear and come nowhere near the tachometer red line.) Plus I am out of warranty time on this car, anyway.
How is HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) in any way "racing"? Come on with the Subaru sending people to random track events to catch folks...good lord. Sounds like internet boogieman to me. So where is the line crossed that denies my warranty claim? Sending it from a stop light up through 3rd gear? Tail of The Dragon run? Going skiing and engine braking with RPM near redline? Sad when a sports car can't driven other than grandma granny shifting to the store or "denied for racing". Unless the oil change wasn't done correctly that he states with 5W30 the day before, no engine should oil starve based on the driving in that video and is 100% manufacturer defect. Funny will be that the oil WILL come into this as 5W30 is not recommended (the devil 0W20 is).

Last edited:
How is HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) in any way "racing"? Come on with the Subaru sending people to random track events to catch folks...good lord. Sounds like internet boogieman to me. So where is the line crossed that denies my warranty claim? Sending it from a stop light up through 3rd gear? Tail of The Dragon run? Going skiing and engine braking with RPM near redline? Sad when a sports car can't driven other than grandma granny shifting to the store or "denied for racing". Unless the oil change wasn't done correctly that he states with 5W30 the day before, no engine should oil starve based on the driving in that video and is 100% manufacturer defect. Funny will be that the oil WILL come into this as 5W30 is not recommended (the devil 0W20 is).

The owners manual has the same verbiage as other Toyota owners manuals;

• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

The owners manual has the same verbiage as other Toyota owners manuals;

• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.
Ok 👌. Shouldn't be an issue then.

Not true.
N54/55 are not modular engines. Cooperation with Peugeot was on 1.6ltr 4cyl engines which also proved very durable. On that note, 1.5dci engine by Renault is one of the most durable diesel engines ever built. Just to clarify your assumption that somehow those are "lesser" products.

N54/55 engines have oil starvation issues bcs. inline 6. There is too much of an engine and one oil pickup line. That problem is not present on S55 or N55 in M2, as they have two pickup lines. Starvation issues usually happen with highly modified vehicles that are capable of much more G than designed and only in a left turn. xDrive models are not susceptible since the axle goes through oil pan and basically serves as a baffle.
Edywv, thanks for clearing that up for all of us.

Well some good news, Toyota is picking up the repair bill for this under warranty but isn't staying what caused the damage.
I knew it. Thanks for updating the thread. They did the right thing.

This is a stupid take. Any unmodified car should be able to handle itself.

Start modifying and it's a different story.
I don't appreciate being called stupid. Did you call the OP stupid? Maybe the car should be able to handle it but it's a risk you have to think about and before you take it.

So no, Toyota says in this article HPDE/track use doesn't "void" the warranty. They look at in on a case by case basis to determine if abuse happened and as we all see....no abuse in that video. No mention of the cause but I'm quite sure it's the oil pickup issue again. Also good to see him running a 30W wasn't an issue w/r to warranty as well.

Also good to see him running a 30W wasn't an issue w/r to warranty as well.
They can't deny warranty for using thicker oil because the Toyota OMs have a statement thay says higher viscosity oil is better for high load and high speed use conditions. Code talk around CAFE, lol.

They have investigators because their engines keep blowing up. Instead of fixing the problem, they are "investigating" who is pushing their engines to the limits.

The problem is, the engine shouldn't blow up when you push it (except money shift), especially if it is stock.

Also your GTI will be fine. I tracked my GLI 3 times (total of 15 hours on track) last year with 508.00 0w20, it didn't blow up or no ill effect. There was an oil consumption when I bought it, but it stopped after I put 5k miles. Imagine if it was a Subaru, it would have probably been on its 5th engine.

Last edited:
Back