Amsoil XL Line 7,500 Miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the base oil doesn't matter and it's more important to have a stronger additive package, why is the Amsoil XL line only good for 7,500 miles? The specs. seem comparable to Mobil 1. In fact there almost identical. TBN's of 10 I would think would be ok for extended drains. What am I missing?
smile.gif

5W-30 (XLF)
10W-30 (XLT)
5W-20 (XLM)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
10.2 8.9
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
50.9 59.0 45.0
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
196 163 183
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (ASTM D2602)
2320 (-25) 2300 (-20) 3670 (-30)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
229 (444) 234 (453) 229 (444)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
242 (468) 250 (482) 242 (468)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97) -51 (-60) -43 (-45) -46 (-51)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (DIN 51581)
8.8 4.7 8.2
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity @ 150°C and 1.0 X 106 s-1, cP (ASTM D4683) 3.1 3.2 2.9
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hour, Scar in mm)
0.38 0.38 0.38
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 10.1 10.2 10.2

The additive package in the XL line does not have some of the elements which help make the oil capable of long drain. Doesn't mean the XL won't stand up for a longer drain period- think Ted had a recent analysis showing it still suitable for continued use after 7500.
Line was primarily intended for use in quicklube or shop operation, where retailers wanted 6 month return customers. (And for those who cannot or will not accept extended drain intervals.)

quote:

The additive package in the XL line does not have some of the elements which help make the oil capable of long drain. Doesn't mean the XL won't stand up for a longer drain period- think Ted had a recent analysis showing it still suitable for continued use after 7500.
Line was primarily intended for use in quicklube or shop operation, where retailers wanted 6 month return customers. (And for those who cannot or will not accept extended drain intervals.)

Got it. That makes sense. I'd like to see this oil on the shelf more for about $2.49. Be another decent option.

this is one line of amsoil i would not pay 5 bucks for. Id rather pay a buck more and get their real pao synthetic than pay a buck less for a group 3. I know its the additive package, but at the same time, why pay for a group 3 oil when its pumped from the ground if you want a real synthetic? doesn't make sense to me. oh well, im sure ill get flamed for saying this.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
this is one line of amsoil i would not pay 5 bucks for. Id rather pay a buck more and get their real pao synthetic than pay a buck less for a group 3. I know its the additive package, but at the same time, why pay for a group 3 oil when its pumped from the ground if you want a real synthetic? doesn't make sense to me. oh well, im sure ill get flamed for saying this.

Won't get flamed.
smile.gif
It's your hard earned money and you can spend it the way you want. Personally, I'm with you. Even if I'm not going the extended drain I would opt for the PAO syn over group III.

No flamage here. I agree XL is not really worth the money relative to the regular synthetic line.

I really only sell it to people that are worried about warranty. Imagine that, a lower quality oil to stay within warranty - really is twisted logic.

>>>I know its the additive package, but at the same time, why pay for a group 3 oil when its pumped from the ground if you want a real synthetic?

Well, the Group III isn't really just pumped from the ground. Saw examples of Group III stocks, obviously available as base stocks. There was a very noticeable difference in the clarity of the samples. While I'm neither a chemist or a tribologist, I'm willing to accept that one can purchase inexpensive Group III stock, or one can purchase premium, better, Group III stock.

Here's a short report about some aspects of marketing Group III base oil. Note that VHVI is very high viscosity index, another term for Group III base stock. Motiva is the Royal Dutch/Shell and Saudi Refining joint venture for refining and marketing.
http://www.LubeReport.com/e_article000146938.cfm?x=a1F3Slh,a12MT5WC

Buster,
Don't say that the base oil doesn't matter. It matters a great deal, but is not the deciding factor. The complete package of base oil and additive package is what we need to look at.

Ken

quote:

Buster,
Don't say that the base oil doesn't matter. It matters a great deal, but is not the deciding factor. The complete package of base oil and additive package is what we need to look at.

I see your point Ken and I agree. It must have some relevance or importance. I said IF though bc it's sounds like many don't think it is. I think for a top of the line syn lube, one that can handle 15k mile drains etc., the base oil must be important. Why would all the major brands use them then right?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back