Amsoil TSO 0w-30 vs. Mobil 1 Racing 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oil do you guys think is better overall? I can get both for $87 bucks for a case of 12. Here are the specs for the Amsoil 0w-30:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -35°C, cP (ASTM D-5293)
Borderline Pumping Temperature °C (°F) (ASTM D3829)
-40 (-40)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
-54 (-65)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
226 (439)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
247 (477)
Noack Volatility (DIN 51581) 250°C for 1 hour, % weight loss
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683)
Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm
Total Base Number
>11.0
Amsoil%20TSO%20VOA.gif

And here are the specs for Mobil 1 R 0w-30:
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 56
cSt @ 100ºC 10.3
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 175
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 2.99
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 234
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.851

AL 0
CR 0
FE 1
CU 0
PB 0
SN 0
MO 73
NI 0
MN 0
AG 0
TI 0
K 0
B 246
SI 3
NA 6
CA 2846
MG 15
P 1588
ZN 1602
BA 0
Visc 59.5
Flash 425
TBN 12.4

So what do you guys think?

Well, if it is the same price I would go with Amsoil. Generally Amsoil would be a better choice as long as the price is reasonable otherwise go with Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.

That PDS for Amsoil 0w-30 is over 2 years old. M1R is actually used in NASCAR engines (2yrs ago) and is highly regarded. It's loaded with ZDDP for flat tappet cams and really not necessary for PCMO. It also has a low HT/HS for more Hp.

Last edited:
Quote:

Lakespeed Jr. will tell you about the S2k if you ask him. They weren't impressed with it.

Where do you come up with this khrap? If you are going to be unprofessional, juvenile and rumor mongering - please join another site. You get all spazzed out about Amsoil dealers just saying "stuff" - how about you? Why don't you cite a solid reference?

These are two totally different oils. Sure they have the same SAE viscosity rating, but that's a fuzzy connection at best.

M1R is a race oil with a ton of additives and for those super worried about catalysts and warranties, this oil is not for you and is NLA, AFAIK.

S2K is not a race oil and never has been. It's strictly a long mile highway only oil, for clean running cars. If some uses it a race car, they have been misled at best.

I'm assuming this is for a racing application? Isn't S2k "Race Proven"? Dealer's list it as a racing oil do they not? Pablo, I speak to people that actually use/try the products. I know people that have been given S2k bc some Amsoil dealers were telling them it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and that it's a racing oil. You've said yourself that S2k is over priced Salesman oil.

Quote:

If some uses it a race car, they have been misled at best

That was my point. People HAVE BEEN MISLED by Amsoil sales people. You are correct though, two different oils with two different goals in mind.

Last edited:
Simmer down now! I love that line from SNL.
These oils are so different in purpose and the purpose has not beed defined. Most likely neither oil will be best bang for the buck for the purpose when it's given.

Pablo, that was a conversation I had with him when asking him about JGR oil. You'll just have to take my word on it.
smile.gif
I asked about the Busch Engine testing they did with M1R, RP. I asked him if they ever tried Amsoil and that is when he told me.

There are members here who have used M1R as a street oil, for relatively long drain intervals, IIRC. There are a few such UOAs over in that section.

It has long struck me as odd that M1R has such a high TBN. That would suggest, to my non-chemical-engineer's mind, that they designed the oil with priorities different from those you'd expect would be highest in a hard-core racing lube. OTOH, to some unknown-to-me extent, they've managed to have their cake and eat it too.

Don't let that HT/HS of 2.99 scare you either. It's designed that way for a reason. More Hp.

The JGR stuff is the real deal though. RL will even acknowledge how good it is. These are speciality oils though and as stated before, can't really be compared to Amsoil S2k.

Quote:

Don't let that HT/HS of 2.99 scare you either. It's designed that way for a reason. More Hp.

The JGR stuff is the real deal though. RL will even acknowledge how good it is. These are speciality oils though and as stated before, can't really be compared to Amsoil S2k.

Who actually manufactures the Gibbs stuff?? Does it have enough detergency for daily use?? Group 4/5?

No, the JGR oil is for racing only. No detergents. It's very similar to RL and gaining popularity fast. Lubrizol makes it.

I just ordered 2 cases of Mobil 1 0w-30. Since my engine takes 6.5 quarts, I will be using 6 quarts of the R 0w-30 and half quart of Mobil 1 0w-40.

98LS, what car are you running it in? M1R is capable of long drain intervals. Has a 12 TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back