Amsoil SSO Microgreen filter Prius 16.7k miles OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! and a recommendation to go for 20,000 miles next time. Still had 3.3 of TBN.

Prior column of 11,934 miles was on Mobil 1 Extended with Toyota filter.

The microgreen filter includes by-pass filter in the regular screw in filter. Claims it filters down to 1 or 2 microns.

SSO + Microgreen is better than Mobil 1 Extended.

How do I upload the pdf of the Blackstone report?

Type it in as most of the hosting sites are deleting stuff with less and less time going past.

Be careful about the "better" statement, you will now have one and prob more than a few of the "fans" coming to discuss that with you...
20.gif

Bill

SSO + Microgreen filter = 16.7k miles and 3.3 TBN remaining
M1X + Toyota filter = 11.9k miles and 2.4 TBN remaining

You tell me which one is better?

Ahhh, but the "fans" will tell you that UOAs are useless so your data is not valid.

Don't shoot the messenger here(I agree with you), just telling you to get ready.
48.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: DrRocket
Wow! and a recommendation to go for 20,000 miles next time. Still had 3.3 of TBN.

Prior column of 11,934 miles was on Mobil 1 Extended with Toyota filter.

The microgreen filter includes by-pass filter in the regular screw in filter. Claims it filters down to 1 or 2 microns.

SSO + Microgreen is better than Mobil 1 Extended.

How do I upload the pdf of the Blackstone report?

To get your money worth you should leave SSO (with Microgreen and by-pass filter) in the engine to 35k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

To get your money worth you should leave SSO (with Microgreen and by-pass filter) in the engine to 35k miles.

I might work my way up with UOA's, but I don't know if I would recommend going from 16k with a 3.3 TBN to 35k straight out.
And no, you don't have to run SSO 35k to get your money's worth. Running half that many miles and you can still get money's worth, per mile, etc.

AMSOIL says 1 year or 35k miles whichever is less. I have gone to 1 year OCI's with trepidation, so pushing it beyond 1 year, I'm not sure.

Also, I line up 4 cars on one day in June for the hour or so and change all the oil and then I'm done for the year. Every other year I change out 1 gallon of tranny fluid for a total of 2 hours.

So one year seems to make sense for me.

Why did you never tried the Mobil 1 Extended Performance with the Microgreen filter? Seems like that would be a better comparison.

Is the Microgreen an Amsoil filter? If not, where do you get them? Also is MG the primary or secondary filter?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Why did you never tried the Mobil 1 Extended Performance with the Microgreen filter? Seems like that would be a better comparison.

From above;

Originally Posted By: DrRocket
SSO + Microgreen filter = 16.7k miles and 3.3 TBN remaining
M1X + Toyota filter = 11.9k miles and 2.4 TBN remaining

You tell me which one is better?

I think the M1X IS EP and in a 12k OCI not really that much difference between the 2.

Last edited:
The Microgreen filters are not an Amsoil product. You might say they are a dual filter, with part regular filter and part bypass filter built in to the same canister.

Agree with postjeeprcr, the fair comparison would have been to run the Mobil 1 EP with the exact same filter.

I will send you a PM with their website since they are not a sponsor on BITOG.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that you have a high TBN, but I wouldn't attribute that to the Microgreen filter. You'd get that with SSO and any filter.

Here is a thread on the dissection of a Microgreen, and my UOA last year after 10,988 miles using Mobil 1 for comparison. I think it's a good filter, but pricey for the benefit. That bypass element is pretty small.

Maybe the Amsoil EA oil filter still filters better with the Nanofiber media vs the Microgreen with a mini bypass?

I have never even cut an EA apart. Next time I take one off I am going to.

Is there going to be a report here, or are we just talking about the 'value' of the Microgreen filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back