Amsoil SS HTHS question

JWB

Question,

I know Amsoil SS is a well formulated oil. My issue is why is the HTHS of the 0w20 and 5w20 only 2.67? Seems very low for a Group IV/V oil?

The OE and XL are 2.8?

Question,

I know Amsoil SS is a well formulated oil. My issue is why is the HTHS of the 0w20 and 5w20 only 2.67? Seems very low for a Group IV/V oil?

The OE and XL are 2.8?
Some of the PAO base oils don't have a high HTHS visc. If the SS oils are blended with more PAO and less VII, it's quite possible for the resultant HTHS of a Group III based lube to be higher because of that combo and it may be entirely intentional (the target HTHS) of the blender by using the bases that they have.

Just as a few examples here:
SpectraSyn 4 has an HTHS of 1.46cP
SpectraSyn 6 has an HTHS of 2.08cP
SpectraSyn 8 has an HTHS of 2.58 and could be blended into a 5w-20 without VII but would need something else (maybe a dash of Esterex) to prevent it from being hard on seals.

SpectraSyn Plus 3.6 has an HTHS of 1.14cP
SpectraSyn Plus 4 has an HTHS of 1.24cP
SpectraSyn Plus 6 has an HTHS of 1.86cP

So, if went heavy on the SSP6 (which will easily pass 0w-xx) with a touch of VII to bump it into the 20 range, you might not even end up with a sufficient HTHS unless it was a pretty heavy 0w-20. That's why base oil blends are used and since the slate of PAO bases is massive, it's quite easy (perhaps easier) to hit several targets, where you might have to overshoot or compromise a bit more using bases that don't have the same range.

Last edited:
its NOT the type of base oils used BUT the choice of it in the BLEND. oil blenders choose the ingredients to meet their desired results + PRICE point + also choose their desired add pack!!

its NOT the type of base oils used BUT the choice of it in the BLEND. oil blenders choose the ingredients to meet their desired results + PRICE point + also choose their desired add pack!!
Are you capable at all of posting anything even remotely correct and technical?

Rather than some oft-repeated screed that promotes your personal bias and agenda.

Back