Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

If owners manual requires API certified oil with specific OCI, I really do not see the urgent need to use Amsoil SS. I’ve been through warranty fights with dealership before, not oil related, but its their word against yours, and even if they say nonsense — they win. Lawyer up? No way! just keep it simple during warranty period to avoid any questions. If you like Amsoil, use Amsoil OE during warranty period with OCIs by the book, and then once warranty is over switch to Amsoil SS.

FWIW, I've never seen an engine failure caused by *any* motor oil (except maybe City Star LOL) posted up here or any forum. Add to that, every engine problem
I'm sorry, but where in this Data Bulletin does it say that the oil "meets" any specifications? I only see Amsoil's recommendation to use the oil "in applications that require any of the following specifications". Am I missing something?
Hey Tom--please see my post above yours. Several of the oils have "too much" of an additive to qualify for certain specifications. In one way I appreciate their integrity in blending oils to their own specifications...which in many cases can make a better product.

FWIW, I've never seen an engine failure caused by *any* motor oil (except maybe City Star LOL) posted up here or any forum. Add to that, every engine problem

Hey Tom--please see my post above yours. Several of the oils have "too much" of an additive to qualify for certain specifications. In one way I appreciate their integrity in blending oils to their own specifications...which in many cases can make a better product.
The only additive elements limited by most specifications are phosphorus and sulfur, both principally related to ZDDP to protect catalytic converters. I know the SS series in the past had high levels of ZDDP, but current formulations to my knowledge have levels within most specifications. I can't speak to other additive levels.

In any case, my intent was simply to correct the statement by gaijinnv that Amsoil's Data Bulletin claims the products "meet" a given list of industry specifications. It does not claim to meet any specifications, it simply recommends using their products where the listed specifications are required. Consumers need to understand how to read claims, and that without third party certifications this becomes a matter of trust, which is up to each individual. Having worked in the lubricants industry for 38 years, personally I am not a very trusting individual, but that's just me. :)

In any case, my intent was simply to correct the statement by gaijinnv that Amsoil's Data Bulletin claims the products "meet" a given list of industry specifications. It does not claim to meet any specifications, it simply recommends using their products where the listed specifications are required. Consumers need to understand how to read claims, and that without third party certifications this becomes a matter of trust, which is up to each individual. Having worked in the lubricants industry for 38 years, personally I am not a very trusting individual, but that's just me. :)

Point well taken.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I recently purchased a 2023 Santa Fe 2.5T AWD with DCT. I have another post (all anecdotal) where my two 2013 Santa Fes used to use M1 but I tried Amsoil SS and the improvement was significant (of course assuming it was the oil). I want the same protection for my new TGDI, especially with DCT where I believe the quality of engine oil plays a big role in wear/performance. The experience with my older Santa Fes really sold me on Amsoil SS.

So when I bought the new Santa Fe, I wanted Amsoil SS but now have a "slight" worry about warranty coverage if something were to happen. Attached is a screenshot of the owner's manual. It says they "recommend" API certified oil by the API seal. It says they "require" API SN plus (or above) grade oil...but doesn't say "certified". And, if a lower grade is used that I have to change every 5,000 miles (severe OCI), which I plan on doing any way.

Thoughts on if I'm safe? Wording is everything.

Attachments

• IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 25
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I recently purchased a 2023 Santa Fe 2.5T AWD with DCT. I have another post (all anecdotal) where my two 2013 Santa Fes used to use M1 but I tried Amsoil SS and the improvement was significant (of course assuming it was the oil). I want the same protection for my new TGDI, especially with DCT where I believe the quality of engine oil plays a big role in wear/performance. The experience with my older Santa Fes really sold me on Amsoil SS.

So when I bought the new Santa Fe, I wanted Amsoil SS but now have a "slight" worry about warranty coverage if something were to happen. Attached is a screenshot of the owner's manual. It says they "recommend" API certified oil by the API seal. It says they "require" API SN plus (or above) grade oil...but doesn't say "certified". And, if a lower grade is used that I have to change every 5,000 miles (severe OCI), which I plan on doing any way.

Thoughts on if I'm safe? Wording is everything.
Hyundai is a stickler about things. If the oil isn't certified, how can they be sure it meets the API grade? If the engine is under warranty, follow the warranty terms. Record your oil changes as well. You don't want to give them a reason to decline warranty coverage should something within the engine fail. And if you're using an oil that isn't certified to meet spec, it'll be on you to prove that it meets the spec rather than on Hyundai to prove it doesn't meet spec it'll make the fight with Hyundai harder.

Edit - Pablo corrected me. :)

Last edited:
Hyundai is a stickler about things. If the oil isn't certified, how can they be sure it meets the API grade? If the engine is under warranty, follow the warranty terms. Record your oil changes as well. You don't want to give them a reason to decline warranty coverage should something within the engine fail. And if you're using an oil that isn't certified to meet spec, it'll be on you to prove that it meets the spec rather than on Hyundai to prove it doesn't meet spec.
This would actually be illegal.

I'm not saying it would be worth the fight. THAT is a different discussion. As written Hyundai is not legally covered.

That said, the first couple oil changes, use Amsoil OE or XL or other API oil until well broken in.

I'm not saying it would be worth the fight. THAT is a different discussion. As written Hyundai is not legally covered.

That said, the first couple oil changes, use Amsoil OE or XL or other API oil until well broken in.
You know you're right now that I read the relevant legislation. I'll edit that out. Thanks, Pablo.

Thanks. Unfortunately, Amsoil doesn’t appear to have any API-certified oils in 0w30.

Just curious, why use API oil only for the first couple oil changes and not thereafter? If I were to use SS thereafter, I might as well just use SS the whole time, no?

Hasn't Hyundai been in trouble over warranty denials? I thought they had basically taken the position to cover them all at this point but haven't researched it heavily...

IMO you're always better off from a coverage stand point to follow the recommendations, it removes the possibility of hassle. In your case there's no reason to believe a quality 0-30 would be anything but fine.

Hasn't Hyundai been in trouble over warranty denials? I thought they had basically taken the position to cover them all at this point but haven't researched it heavily...

IMO you're always better off from a coverage stand point to follow the recommendations, it removes the possibility of hassle. In your case there's no reason to believe a quality 0-30 would be anything but fine.
Thanks. That was my plan. Amsoil SS 0w30 every 5k miles. Let’s see how the first oil change goes tomorrow. At 1500 miles, but I think the car sat on the lot for many months and probably several short trip test drives.

Last edited:
Thanks. Unfortunately, Amsoil doesn’t appear to have any API-certified oils in 0w30.

Just curious, why use API oil only for the first couple oil changes and not thereafter? If I were to use SS thereafter, I might as well just use SS the whole time, no?
My only reasoning is in case of the extremely rare instance of infant mortality. This really isn't a thing with new modern engines though.

Example: Our CRV and Tacoma recommend 0W-20. I ran that for a couple OCI's and now been trouble free on SS 0W-30 for 6 and 4 years.

And it’s not really “certified” it’s a license. It’s therefore possible for an oil to meet the requirements of the API license but not actually be licensed.

How would Ford actually prove this with sampling? I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues, but If they were to pull a sample, how would they determine its Amsoil, which by defaults should blow the MotorCraft spec out of the water, and secondly how would they determine that its not API rated?
Oil change records.

And the mfr could easily say it was questionable and the cause of the failure.
I suppose you're right but I assume they'd have to prove that bad lubrication was the cause.

I submitted the question to Hyundai themselves. I'm interested to see what they'll say.

Last edited:
Ok this is funny. Hyundai recommends Quaker State 0w30, but that viscosity literally DOES NOT EXIST per their website (see attached snippet). I can't find it anywhere.

0w30 in API SN Plus or better is NOT an easy thing to find. The only mainstream option I've been able to find is Mobile 1 Advanced Economy. Even their ESP line isn't API licensed. In fact, 0w30 appears to be a Euro line where most mainstream oils that have it do NOT have API licensing and say the same thing as Amsoil...this product will meet or exceed API requirements. This whole API requirement in 0w30 is BS. I can't wait to hear back from Hyundai to see what they say, and I'll certainly have a good rebuttal if they take a hard line.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 10
Back