Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an oil, that my engine will run quietly with, I will not use any oil with, and when I do a lab report I do not want wear metal's. I have used 5W20 Motorcraft synthetic blend, Valvoline Max life 5W20 as well, and when I'm using right now is Kirkland Synthetic 5W20 I would probably go with Valvoline, but that tends to be on the thinner side.

I'm looking for an oil, that my engine will run quietly with, I will not use any oil with, and when I do a lab report I do not want wear metal's. I have used 5W20 Motorcraft synthetic blend, Valvoline Max life 5W20 as well, and when I'm using right now is Kirkland Synthetic 5W20 I would probably go with Valvoline, but that tends to be on the thinner side.
That has to do with the engine and your operating conditions, not the oil. No oil will give statistically significant differences in wear metals.

But not everything, runs the same in every vehicle. Obviously I'm looking for a synthetic that's quiet running, a good quality synthetic.
What is quiet in one engine might not be in another. I don't think you've told us what engine you're enquiring about. I've run both OE and SS 5w30 and I like them both, but that's because I like Amsoil products and don't mind paying extra for them. In your application which I'm guessing is not GDI or turbocharged use a major brand synthetic in the proper grade and change it only once per year, any more often is likely a waste.

What is quiet in one engine might not be in another. I don't think you've told us what engine you're enquiring about. I've run both OE and SS 5w30 and I like them both, but that's because I like Amsoil products and don't mind paying extra for them. In your application which I'm guessing is not GDI or turbocharged use a major brand synthetic in the proper grade and change it only once per year, any more often is likely a waste.
I have a Ford Edge 3.5 non-ecoboost
I'm thinking about running Mobil 1 5w20 advanced full synthetic or possibly Castrol Edge.

I have a Ford Edge 3.5 non-ecoboost
I'm thinking about running Mobil 1 5w20 advanced full synthetic or possibly Castrol Edge.
I prefer 5w30 but of course it's your choice. The two brands you mention are good but you could also go for Valvoline, Pennzoil or even Supertech, it really doesn't matter.

I prefer 5w30 but of course it's your choice. The two brands you mention are good but you could also go for Valvoline, Pennzoil or even Supertech, it really doesn't matter.
Yeah I heard a lot of people are running 5w30 instead of factory fill.

You don't want any wear metals, in which world does this happen?

I've I always really liked Bob's Oil. In my case their Schaeffer's 7000 Blend (Group II+/PAO) . It routinely went as far as M1 and could be had for less money. Fast forward to today and it goes for a considerable premium over the price of M1 EP. It just doesn't make sense for me anymore.
Yeah, I looked at purchasing this oil not too long ago and the prices were high. Passed. I think what happens is any oil with a larger quantity of PAO in it just costs more, and it’s reflected in the price of the oil. I’ve got to be honest, the only reason why I recently purchased Mobil1 EP is because of the high PAO base stock. It’s just something I wanted to try, in my mind I’m hoping it does something “better”, but in reality it probably won’t. But that’s ok, at least I’ll get this recent PAO infatuation that I’m having out of my system. And then go back to cheaper, run the mill synthetics. But in all honesty the Mobil1 EP 0W20 that I picked up was only a few dollars more than most at Walmart.

But not everything, runs the same in every vehicle. Obviously I'm looking for a synthetic that's quiet running, a good quality synthetic.
Obviously? You didn’t mention quiet running until a day after you made this thread. Lol.

I would do this, I’d do a little search on the quietest running oil for your particular car/engine. Go to a forum specific to your vehicle and ask that question (if you haven’t already).

Sound/smooth, is so subjective that it’s ridiculous. A guy that drove 6 months with his windows up will call a specific oil “quiet”, and then switch to another brand for the summer, drive with his windows DOWN and call it loud. And say, “I heard too much engine noise using this oil”. And then the next guy with a hearing aid in his right ear will call every oil quiet, except for the one he used when he had to drive his wife to work everyday for three months because she broke her right foot and wasn’t able to drive. Now, that oil is loud!

Why not just run a 5W30 conventional or a 10W30 conventional...I don’t think you’d find much quieter than that. And with 4,000 mile intervals almost anything would work anyway. There are people on here running over 10,000 mile intervals using conventional in your engine, with excellent UOA’s to back it up.

I have had minimal in the past.
And again, this is a function of your specific engine and your specific operating conditions.

Even if it is related to a specific oil you will never, ever determine that through a $30 spectrographic analysis. Ever. In this instance you may as well pick the oil based on color or taste.

I've been doing a little research I was looking into that triax synergy oil, and I've been hearing on here that it doesn't have that API donut on it. And you really don't hear much about it, except on Amazon, and in forums. So I was wondering about the Amsoil OE 5W20 is it worth the extra money? Over the other synthetics? I know the main thing is routine maintenance.. I change my oil every 6 months to 8 months I drive tops 4000 miles a year.
Thank you
I use Amsoil trans fluid and gear oil but synthetic oil from Walmart or NAPA for engines.

Amsoil products are very good. But so is Mobil 1 and many other synthetic oils at Walmart.

I've found that usually oils with a heavier basestock seem quieter. It also seems to me that hydrocracked petroleum base is quieter than a PAO base. Might just be in my head.
Could be that group 3 has more polarity than pao naturally. I'm sure the PAO will flow better and probably explains why heavy PAO has ester and or other groups to balance it out. I heard people say 0w30's we're noisy and my guess is the PAO but it flows awesome in the cold and on the cheap vs esters which are better all the way around but cost a pretty penny.

I use SS and change every 5k or 6 months with OEM filters. When I used OE I changed at 3K/6 months. Never have to
do an analysis. But most of my cars do 5-10 mile trips. If I drove 30 miles one way I would change every year but still at
5K.

The short trips lead me to change twice a year. Not the miles.

I have a local dealer that gives me excellent pricing and a big warehouse. If not, I would use Pablo.

As far as what is best, I would say Amsoil is as good as it gets. I am not a dealer. I have left Amsoil 3 times in 35 years but
I have always come back.
Their SS line is great for alot of people. Not wild about the other two lower lines.

Somebody was saying to me, look for something high in zinc and also high in Moly, I don't know what that would be I'm just saying, also if I wanted to stay with a 5W-20 look for something 8.75 CST

Yes. Critic was sorta right, but others will say the same, OE is slightly more, true, but it is a good/great oil.

Use Amsoil OE or XL and go your year easy.

Where are you getting your Amsoil?
Pablo I have a question for you, do you happen to have a VOA on Amsoil OE 5W20 I did not see one on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back