Amsoil OE and Amsoil XL during the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have used Amsoil OE and Amsoil XL during the winter months,how did the oils perform for you in your applications?

I'm asking this for a friend who doesnt have access to the internet atm and is thinking about trying one of these oils,thanks!

...and, what temperature are you expecting for a minimum? If not less than -30F, 5w30 will be fine but below that you'll need 0w30 or a plug in heater.

It's not uncommon for us to see cold temps such as -15 below F for highs in January-Feb.

Again this isnt for me,but for a neighbor of mine.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
In what way are you using the word "perform"??

They want to try Amsoil OE or XL and wondered what to use for the best for winter useage,I'm just relaying the message.
wink.gif

They are both quality oils most likely a GrIII base, maybe some GrIV. They will both work well in cold temps and give you years of excellent service. Amsoil makes top quality oils in all their grades. If your friend is going to follow a 5000 mile OCI, the OE is slightly cheaper. They are both API approved so use either with confidence

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
...and, what temperature are you expecting for a minimum? If not less than -30F, 5w30 will be fine but below that you'll need 0w30 or a plug in heater.

I agree with that.

But that is for starting a car in cold weather. Once the engine oil is warm, it does not matter anymore.

Note, XL and OE have about the same viscosity when cold.

OE and XL are extremely good oils.. The OE Is on par with most other standard off the shelf syn's. XL has a better TBN.

Both are group III oils.

They will perform just fine for what your friend needs..

OE and XL are extremely good oils.. The OE Is on par with most other standard off the shelf syn's. XL has a better TBN.

Both are group III oils.

They will perform just fine for what your friend needs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back