Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a little research I was looking into that triax synergy oil, and I've been hearing on here that it doesn't have that API donut on it. And you really don't hear much about it, except on Amazon, and in forums. So I was wondering about the Amsoil OE 5W20 is it worth the extra money? Over the other synthetics? I know the main thing is routine maintenance.. I change my oil every 6 months to 8 months I drive tops 4000 miles a year.
Thank you

I've been doing a little research I was looking into that triax synergy oil, and I've been hearing on here that it doesn't have that API donut on it. And you really don't hear much about it, except on Amazon, and in forums. So I was wondering about the Amsoil OE 5W20 is it worth the extra money? Over the other synthetics? I know the main thing is routine maintenance.. I change my oil every 6 months to 8 months I drive tops 4000 miles a year.
Thank you

6 qt Box of Havoline LL Synthetic 5W-20 for $19.97 at Walmart. Problem solved.

If you're driving, tops, 4,000 miles a year, and change every 6-8 months, you're basically a 2,000 to 3,000 mile oil changer, and under that frequent a change regimen, I think you should shop solely on price. If you do decide to use AMSOIL, you'll really need to stretch out the interval a bit to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Depends on your application and goals. Under normal circumstances you can do a yearly oil change with SS and still have headroom.
I used their SS in my stinger GT at 10k changes, probably could of gone 12k but I was running

OE gallon jugs are $26.49, so a little more expensive than ordering a Castrol Edge from Amazon.
As everyone says, SS is where Amsoil shines.
Don't overlook the fact that Amsoil chooses to package their oil in quarts and gallons. To get an equivalent amount of Amsoil then you'd have to buy a gallon of OE for $26.49 PLUS another quart for $6.79 (to equal the 5 quart containers offered by nearly everyone else) for a total cost before shipping of $33.28. It isn't just a little more expensive... it's way more expensive.

I’ve been back and forth with Amsoil. Currently back on the wagon. Using their 0W30 in the Tacoma with 10K oci and 0W20 in my wife’s Pilot following the olm. Being a preferred customer softens the blow some. I like their other products.
AMSOIL makes a lot of great products.

But changing oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles doesn’t require a great product, only an inexpensive one…

If you're driving, tops, 4,000 miles a year, and change every 6-8 months, you're basically a 2,000 to 3,000 mile oil changer, and under that frequent a change regimen, I think you should shop solely on price. If you do decide to use AMSOIL, you'll really need to stretch out the interval a bit to make it worthwhile.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel...if I'm going to be driving 40,000 miles a year and don't have time to change my oil, and do mostly highway easy stuff. I might try Amsoil SS and see how it goes with an analysis. Otherwise I'm just running whatever is on sale and doing 5,000-7,500 intervals. Although right now I'm running Mobil1 EP 0W20 for a 10,000 mile interval (first time for everything). But if you're only doing 3,000-4,000 per year? Just buy whatever is on sale. No problem.

I’ve been back and forth with Amsoil. Currently back on the wagon. Using their 0W30 in the Tacoma with 10K oci and 0W20 in my wife’s Pilot following the olm. Being a preferred customer softens the blow some. I like their other products.
I've never tried it, but if I did, I'd only buy and try it for an extended oil change interval...something 12,000-15,000 miles. Otherwise I've been pretty pleased with just normal off the shelf synthetics that are on sale or rebate.

But I do find the whole Amsoil thing intriguing.

Don't overlook the fact that Amsoil chooses to package their oil in quarts and gallons. To get an equivalent amount of Amsoil then you'd have to buy a gallon of OE for $26.49 PLUS another quart for $6.79 (to equal the 5 quart containers offered by nearly everyone else) for a total cost before shipping of $33.28. It isn't just a little more expensive... it's way more expensive.
I think I can buy at my local Napa.. I wouldn't bother paying shipping that's ridiculous..

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel...if I'm going to be driving 40,000 miles a year and don't have time to change my oil, and do mostly highway easy stuff. I might try Amsoil SS and see how it goes with an analysis. Otherwise I'm just running whatever is on sale and doing 5,000-7,500 intervals. Although right now I'm running Mobil1 EP 0W20 for a 10,000 mile interval (first time for everything). But if you're only doing 3,000-4,000 per year? Just buy whatever is on sale. No problem.
But not everything, runs the same in every vehicle. Obviously I'm looking for a synthetic that's quiet running, a good quality synthetic.

I've never tried it, but if I did, I'd only buy and try it for an extended oil change interval...something 12,000-15,000 miles. Otherwise I've been pretty pleased with just normal off the shelf synthetics that are on sale or rebate.

But I do find the whole Amsoil thing intriguing.

I've I always really liked Bob's Oil. In my case their Schaeffer's 7000 Blend (Group II+/PAO) . It routinely went as far as M1 and could be had for less money. Fast forward to today and it goes for a considerable premium over the price of M1 EP. It just doesn't make sense for me anymore.

AMSOIL makes a lot of great products.

But changing oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles doesn’t require a great product, only an inexpensive one…
This is it, right here. If you're not taking advantage of the long drain capabilities of Amsoil then there is no reason to use it. The OP's OCI is ridiculously short, he should use the lowest cost oil at Walmart as was discussed yesterday. How many threads and posts are we going to have on this?

its your $$$$. Amsoils top oils are prolly better as are other boutique oils, BUT most are served well by CHEEPER of the shelf or Walmart.com oils. my daily truck gets QS ultimate durability 10-30 yearly as i drive little + do a weekly hot run of 40 miles. my toy a 300 hp 2001 audi TT driven in the summer only these days with a 4.25 qt sump gets Redlines real synthetic mostly 15-50. Amsoil is just another oil blender buying the ingredients elsewhere + i used it years ago BUT when they quit touting PAO + likely only used as much as need to meet a spec + blended in fake synthetic group III oils like everyone else. i still believe their oils are prolly better but NOT at the cost for a delivered product, in extreme use costlier oils serve a purpose BUT most are just throwing $$$ away IMO!! with better filtering or more filter changes oils can be run longer UNLESS you short trip TOO much

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back