Amsoil OE 5w30 for 4800 miles in a 3.6 Pentastar

This is in a 2500 RAM Promaster (my work van) with the manual recommending a 4k OCI with 5w20......PFI with fuel dilution at 0.8%. Oil was hot when sampled/changed from a 50 mile trip.

I've been running PP for the 4k OCI until this one. Needed to add something to my Amsoil order to get free shipping....

This has seen several -30F starts and has at least 10 min idle time for warmup each morning. Trips are 10-40 miles.

I'm puy PP 5w30 back in and will go 6500 miles next.
Screenshot_20230309_094502_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
How do you know? This is my first time doing this. I'm learning.
Blackstone infers fuel% from the flashpoint. Values >400F show little to no fuel. Values <400 indicate more fuel. Blackstone is a little too conservative in their inference. People have sent the same sample to Blackstone and Oil Analyzers and typically OA shows 2-3% higher than BS's estimate. However, with a little common sense, you can make the most of this knowledge and add a few percent to BS's number to get much closer to actual. The key thing is the further below 400 the flashpoint value is, the worse the fuel% is.

So, with this knowledge in mine what do you guys recommend I do long term? It is beginning to warm up here in Maine and the engine will see less idle time.

What is the main cause of fuel dilution in a PFI engine? Can't really "run rich".

So, with this knowledge in mine what do you guys recommend I do long term? It is beginning to warm up here in Maine and the engine will see less idle time.

What is the main cause of fuel dilution in a PFI engine? Can't really "run rich".
Yes, a PFI engine can also run rich, and do run rich, in certain conditions. Startup enrichment for cold starts for example, when you have the worst ring seal, is a common source of fuel in the oil.

Yes, a PFI engine can also run rich, and do run rich, in certain conditions. Startup enrichment for cold starts for example, when you have the worst ring seal, is a common source of fuel in the oil.
But I guess there is nothing I can do about it, right?

Looks like a great report! Cutting down the idle warming time in half should help with the fuel dilution. 5k OCI looks achievable.

But I guess there is nothing I can do about it, right?
Keep doing what you're doing by sending oil samples in but use a better lab that tests the fuel more accurately like Oil Analyzers. If there is not apparent wear concerns with the fuel delusion or get way high like 10% fuel I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm definatly not an Amsoil nut, but I do use some of their top shelf stuff in my old car and tractor where stuff only gets changed annually or biannually.

I'll try their oil testing. I though Blackstone was pretty much the only show in town other than OA (Amsoil).

Back