Amsoil ASL 5w30, Dodge Dak 4.7, 16k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

We see tons of UOAs on here with bypass filtration which show almost no engine wear at all, and I truly believe that this is due to the fact that the bypass system is simply grabbing all those particles. So it's not as if your engine isn't shedding those metals, you just don't see it in the UOA. So in other words, it's giving you a false sense of security.

Pat, wear is submicronic. Unless you are doing particle counts the analysis will be picking up the wear metals.

Your statement above is simply untrue,

Also the absolute rating for the Amsoil by-pass is about 3 microns.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Is this the first run of Amsoil? How about the bypass setup. Most all of the elements are lower than universal except silicon,could the air filter setup be a problem ? When in doubt change it out. for the same cost I would do 10,000 mile oil changes without the bypass .

Yes, first run on Amsoil. I ran the oil a few thousand miles at the start without the bypass, but it's been on for the majority of the miles.
The air filter uses a K&N cone, and I added K&N's oiled foam wrap. It's not a fine foam, but it helps keep dirt out.
I was actually a little worried about it, but since the silicon is at average levels, I think it's fine, especially with the mileage.

My main reasoning for the bypass is just to keep the oil cleaner, not to extend the drain to max possible.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Okay ..your wear ...your mileage
UA (universal wear) ..4800 miles

Your mileage 16283=100%/4800= 29.74%

The UA (universal averages) are based on 29.74% of your mileage.

You are at or below these numbers @ 330% of the mileage.

Your dilution factor (your swapping filters out and topping off) did not dilute the sample enough to offset the RADICAL difference in mileage.

Okay. So 4800 is a base mileage to make calculations then.

Just to add, I work on BMW autos for a living. The oil drain interval for the late model cars is 15k miles, or annually.
Synthetic oil must be used, of course, and BMW uses Castrol Syntec 5w30 for everything but the "M" cars.
For the most part, there aren't any problems with this oil interval. I've seen sludge in several cars that have gone beyond 15k, with some minor sludge in cars that are within the interval.

I figure that if Syntec could work to that mileage, then Amsoil should too, especially using better filtration.

If this is the first run with Amsoil, you are probably cleaning out some pre-existing engine deposits; hence the thickening. A properly functioning bypass filter should keep the total solids level in the 0.1%-0.2% range.

Engine wear looks fine and some fresh oil will boost the TBN back up a bit. Blackstone results on TBN are very conservative, so anything down to a 1.0 is fine....

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by TECH:
I figure that if Syntec could work to that mileage, then Amsoil should too, especially using better filtration.

I wouldn't assume that considering you are talking about two different vehicles. I remember reading about sludge problems on the Dakota but I don't recall the years or the engine that was experiencing them. You will have to check another forum for that info. If yours is one of the sludge prone then that could explain the excess thickening.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:

quote:

Originally posted by TECH:

I wouldn't assume that considering you are talking about two different vehicles. I remember reading about sludge problems on the Dakota but I don't recall the years or the engine that was experiencing them. You will have to check another forum for that info. If yours is one of the sludge prone then that could explain the excess thickening.

Yeah, all the 4.7 engines will do it in cold weather and short trip driving. Mine did it a winter ago when I only drove 4 miles to work. I was concerned at first, because a LOT of yellow snot was building up in the oil fill tube. From what I gathered, it was due to the PCV system pulling the crankcase vapors up through the plastic fill tube (cooler area), just below the cap, and the cooling fan air would aid in condensing all the blowby gasses and moisture.

I was certain that some of that condensation was contaminating my oil. When I changed to the Amsoil (still cool climate) I noticed that when the last bit of oil came out of the pan, there was a small trail of yellow coming out with the oil-very slight, but it was there. I took this as being moisture that was on top of the oil, draining down from the tube.

Changing to Amsoil didn't change the snot level. I removed the oil fill tube, and wrapped the whole thing with insulated tape, to help retain heat in the tube, and reduce the affects of the outside airflow around it. That helped a lot, but it doesn't eliminate it.
Basically, the engine needs to be hot for a length of time to burn off the moisture in the crankcase. Since I'm now driving my truck longer distances, I haven't noticed any at all.

On another note, I've seen the same thing in PCV valves on BMW's, they just aren't visible.

quote:

Check again, insolubles of 0.3%

Actual result / Universal Averages

Insolubles % 0.3

quote:

A properly functioning bypass filter should keep the total solids level in the 0.1%-0.2% range.

Exactly.

quote:

Pat, wear is submicronic. Unless you are doing particle counts the analysis will be picking up the wear metals.

I agree with this - the small (submicronic) particles will always outnumber the large ones.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:

quote:

Check again, insolubles of 0.3%

Actual result / Universal Averages

Insolubles % 0.3

quote:

A properly functioning bypass filter should keep the total solids level in the 0.1%-0.2% range.

Exactly.

quote:

I agree with this - the small (submicronic) particles will always outnumber the large ones.

Check again.
grin.gif

PROPERTIES:

Values Should Be / Values Tested Were

SUS Viscocity @ 210F 56-68/81
Flash Point >365/410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0/0.0
Water % 0/0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 2.7

Tech,

The first values are the actual test results for this oil, the second universal averages from Blackstone......at least that is the way you originally posted it.

[ January 23, 2005, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

Maybe it's just me but didn't anyone notice the viscosity increase just a weeeee bit from the 56-68 range to 81
shocked.gif
. Otherwise your wear numbers looked real good
smile.gif
. Just hope if you have sludge problem they don't give you a difficult time with the warranty for the long OCI. Though from what I read they seem to turn down warranty claims for sludge even if the oil was changed on a regular basis by the dealer
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Maybe it's just me but didn't anyone notice the viscosity increase just a weeeee bit from the 56-68 range to 81 . Otherwise your wear numbers looked real good

Amsoil thickens but most of the time shows very low wear. This goes against what others have said that an increase in viscosity leads to higher wear. Hasn't been the case with Amsoil from what I've seen.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
They state that this oil is around a 15w-40. They have determined this by testing viscosity @ 212F. How do they know that it's not a 10w-40 or a 5w-40? Without additional testing, the w rating cannot be established.

They said, "...the viscosity, which read way up there in the 15w/40 range."

I believe they were infering that the oil was a thicker 40 Weight more like the typical HDEO 15W-40 as opposed to the typical lighter PCMO 10W-40.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
Tech,

The first values are the actual test results for this oil, the second universal averages from Blackstone......at least that is the way you originally posted it.

It's still posted the same way as I originally posted it.
The last section has the values as a "should be", and then the "tested values were".
The "Elements" and the "Properties" segments are seperated and in reverse order from each other.

Blackstone's actual chart has the Properties over/under, rather than the Elements left to right chart.

....Like this......

Insolubles
Values Should Be: Tested Values Were: 0.3

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi Tech

What was the consumption of oil? I have a 4.7 in my jeep. I use Amsoil 0W-30. On last change went 9300 miles with no consumption and previous change 11,300. Note just using the Amsoil
oil wetted foam air filter and their Spin on oil filter. Changed about once per year.

Where did you tap off for the bypass on the 4.7 and where did you run the return? I want to mount one on the Grand Cherokee and tap off the pressure sensor but dont know where to run the return line. Also is tight, may mount it on the frame undeneath.

I also have a 00 Durango with 5.9. I use the Bypass on that one and have gone 2years and 13,000 on last change, again no oil consumption. I mounted the bypass behind battery and tapped off pressure sensor and returned thru the oil cap on the valve cover.

I have used the bypass systems on all my Turbo cars( Daytonas) and they work awesome.

VNT

VNT

VNT, I tapped at the oil pressure sensor, and returned to the oil pan. I originally was going to put the return at the oil fill cap, but that is right where the PCV pulls the crankcase vapors from, so I went with the pan.
I never added any oil until I changed the filters, which was not long ago. My engine uses very little oil, and may have been close to a quart low, if that. To expect better is asking a bit much for a V8 that tows some.

I mounted the bypass filter to the front of the FIPK2 airbox. This wouldn't be possible on the stock air intake, but it's easy to get to the way I did it. I'll try to take some pictures of it and post them this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back