Amsoil 5w40 Euro

Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
A little birdy told me last night that there will be a new viscosity oil coming from Amsoil It looks like it will be in 5w40 and targeted for the Euro market. I don't have the specs as of yet. So I don't know if it will primarly diesel or gas or both. I suspect it will meet quite a bit of both specs, since most of the other oils in the Xw40 already do. Just a heads up if your getting read to make an order you might want to hold off. Of coarse I'll be giving BITOG discounts.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,993
Location
Oakville, Ontario
Very nice! It's about time they branched out and begun offering some of the new viscosities! They also need to come out with a 0w20 full synthetic too, or at least a 5w20 full synthetic (since their XL7500 5w20 is now group 3) I'd love to see them offer a 0w40, but one that is on the thin end of the 40, around 13cst, so it would be more shear stable.
 
Messages
2,602
Location
The Tropics of Antartica
Messages
34,146
Location
Southern NJ
Interesting. It's going to have to be of RL or M1 SUV/Delvac 1 quality to sell though. For $5qt, 26% ester based, Delvac 1 is almost impossible to beat. RL 5w-40 also probably the best 5w-40 on the market. I'm not fond of the VI of 186 though for the Amsoil 5w-40. Could be prone to shearing.
 

msparks

Thread starter
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Interesting. It's going to have to be of RL or M1 SUV/Delvac 1 quality to sell though. For $5qt, 26% ester based, Delvac 1 is almost impossible to beat. RL 5w-40 also probably the best 5w-40 on the market. I'm not fond of the VI of 186 though for the Amsoil 5w-40. Could be prone to shearing.
quote:
empirical, unitless number indicating the effect of temperature change on the kinematic viscosity of an oil. Liquids change viscosity with temperature, becoming less viscous when heated; the higher the V.I. of an oil, the lower its tendency to change viscosity with temperature. The V.I. of an oil — with known viscosity at 40°C and at 100°C — is determined by comparing the oil with two standard oils having an arbitrary V.I. of 0 and 100, respectively, and both having the same viscosity at 100°C as the test oil
Delvac 1 has a VI of 151. Comparitively the Amsoil product will change viscosity less over a wider temperature range. I would suspect that the Amsoil product will be more performance oriented than Diesel rated. I wouldn't doubt that this 5w40 uses the Series 2000/3000 technology. We will see though.
 
Messages
34,146
Location
Southern NJ
Mike, my thinking has always been the lower the VI the better bc your relying on the base oil more then the VII's. Redline has very low VI. So your giving up some low temp ability for more shear stability. Take a look at all of Redline's VI as they are very low. Mobil 1 10w-30 is very low and very shear stable. VII's are the weak link in an oil. I'd rather see this oil use S3k technology as S2k is clearly over rated. The 0w-30 Amsoil is the most over priced oil on the market today. [Smile]
 
Messages
5,336
Location
London, AR
I am trying to understand the logic of this marketing move. Amsoil makes their 5W30 HDD for diesels that require 15W40. Now Amsoil is going to have a 5W40 aimed at the 5W20 market, but ignore truck diesels. Maybe now it is clear, Amsoil can't produce a product to compete with Delvac I/Mobil I SUV/Truck 5W40 and sell it for $5 bucks a quart.
 

msparks

Thread starter
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Mike, my thinking has always been the lower the VI the better bc your relying on the base oil more then the VII's. Redline has very low VI. So your giving up some low temp ability for more shear stability. Take a look at all of Redline's VI as they are very low. Mobil 1 10w-30 is very low and very shear stable. VII's are the weak link in an oil. I'd rather see this oil use S3k technology as S2k is clearly over rated. The 0w-30 Amsoil is the most over priced oil on the market today. [Smile]
Viscosity Index is not 100% related to Viscosity Index Improvers. For intstance the 10w30 does not contain any VII's but has a very high VI. Hydraulic oils that are a straight weight have a viscosity index as well. The better the base oil the high the VI. Which is what you want to look for, as long as you have a good base stock combined with a good add pack
 

msparks

Thread starter
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
quote:
Originally posted by 59 Vetteman: Amsoil can't produce a product to compete with Delvac I/Mobil I SUV/Truck 5W40 and sell it for $5 bucks a quart.
Why would they want to?? From the Birdy that I heard from last night they have no interest in selling their products through ANY multi-chain retail establishment. The Birdy said they are 110% committed to the Dealer network. Lastly, I would feel 100% comfortable recommending AMO 10w40 in place of Any Delvac 1. And I honestly think that a 5w40 is waste, but it seems that the Euro cars are specing this. I don't feel it's necessary. Buster: IMHO Series 2000/3000 is the most economically priced motor oils on the market!
 
Messages
30
Location
Pacific NW
quote:
From the Birdy that I heard from last night they have no interest in selling their products through ANY multi-chain retail establishment.
Birdy poop. [Big Grin] G.I. Joe's, a sporting goods/automotive chain here in the NW (don't know where else they might be), sells the full AMSOIL motor oil line on the shelf. [Cheers!]
 
Messages
2,602
Location
The Tropics of Antartica
quote:
Originally posted by Mike: To set Up a Retail or Commercial Account you need to go through a dealer.
Some Dealer in Oklahoma made a deal then . Amsoil is in the Atwoods Stores now . See that VI @ 40c ? I personally would pick the Amsoil over the Delvac on that difference alone for a modern day OHC Gas Engine . JMO , no flames , no Delvac for me [Razz] I think this will be an SL /505 type oil with more specs and will be good stuff [Wink] Now cut me a deal on it Sparks [Smile]
 
Messages
34,146
Location
Southern NJ
I'm sure it will be a good oil as Amsoil usually does make good oils. Their just isn't enough reason to buy certain Amsoil oils right now with as good as Mobil 1/GC is. I still think a lower VI is better. Redline has a very low VI with all of their oils and are the most shear stable available. Amsoil's 10w-40 shears quite a bit and TS has stated this himself. As far as S2k/3k. S2k is $8.35qt. I havn't seen any reason why this oil is so expensive. It's UOA's do not live up to the price. S3k is a great oil and has shown great numbers in a few of the UOA's we have of it. [ February 27, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
107
Location
Richmond, Va
quote:
Originally posted by msparks:
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Interesting. It's going to have to be of RL or M1 SUV/Delvac 1 quality to sell though. For $5qt, 26% ester based, Delvac 1 is almost impossible to beat. RL 5w-40 also probably the best 5w-40 on the market. I'm not fond of the VI of 186 though for the Amsoil 5w-40. Could be prone to shearing.
quote:
empirical, unitless number indicating the effect of temperature change on the kinematic viscosity of an oil. Liquids change viscosity with temperature, becoming less viscous when heated; the higher the V.I. of an oil, the lower its tendency to change viscosity with temperature. The V.I. of an oil — with known viscosity at 40°C and at 100°C — is determined by comparing the oil with two standard oils having an arbitrary V.I. of 0 and 100, respectively, and both having the same viscosity at 100°C as the test oil
Delvac 1 has a VI of 151. Comparitively the Amsoil product will change viscosity less over a wider temperature range. I would suspect that the Amsoil product will be more performance oriented than Diesel rated. I wouldn't doubt that this 5w40 uses the Series 2000/3000 technology. We will see though.

I hope you are right! The 5w40 is the preferred oil for high performance use in my 2004 Honda S2000, although the better 10w30's have been doing fine as far as I can tell in the early production cars which date back to 1999. It is quite amazing to me that an engine with a redline of 9000 has gone as many miles with few failures - there is a car with reportedly 160k miles on the S2KI.com Forums! Honda does know how to build an engine, but the tremendous advances in both GIII and GIV-GV HC and synoil technology have to have been major contributors.
 
Messages
5,785
Location
Dixie
Mike, I spoke to tech services about this spec sheet months ago. I was told this was some R&D formulation and that no decision had been made about bring it to market. Honestly, I don't see the need for a 5w-40, ACEA A3/B4 formulation, since the 10w-40 already fits this bill and will be more shear stable. The 10w-40 also covers the motorcycle market, where this is a standard grade. In addition since the 5w-30/10w-30 and S2000/S3000 already meet the ACEA, "A3/B3/B4" specs, there is too much product "overlap" to make the business case for a friction modified, 5w-40. No domestic gas engine calls for an SAE 5w-40, so it's a niche market, non-standard grade for a couple of high end Euro engines .... 59 Vetteman, The standard for commercial diesel engines is still 15w-40, and has been for the past twenty years. You won't see a 5w-40, CI-4 rated oil coming out of Superior, WI unless the standard changes from 15w-40 to 5w-40. I actually think what will happen is that a GP II+,110 VI basestock, 10w-30 will become the standard. The problem with 5w-40 is that it requires relatively expensive, GP III and/or PAO basestocks. So we are at least ten years away from 5w-40 ever becoming a standard for commercial diesel engines. The S3000 was specifically formulated in a 5w-30 grade, instead of a 5w-40, to provide additional fuel savings and even better cold weather performance. The 5w-30 also complements the 15w-40's - PCO and AME - better than a 5w-40 would .... TS
 
Messages
5,785
Location
Dixie
Just got this from a friend: Product Code: AFL-(QT) SAE, 5w-40 Meets or Exceeds: CI-4,SL ACEA, "A3/B3/B4" Vw 502.00/503.1/505.00 BMW, LL-01/98 Daimler Chry, 229.3/229.4/229.5 GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025 Volvo, Porsche, SAAB, factory fill So this looks very similar to the Mobil 1, 0w-40 except for meeting the CI-4 spec required for diesel engine pickups.... This formulation is available now, but has not been formally introduced ....
 
Messages
34,146
Location
Southern NJ
Any idea of ZDP or HT/HS? I wonder if this oil is using the same base stock as the Amsoil 10w-40? [Smile] I like the idea of a 5w-40. I think this is a good all year round viscosity for many vehicles. So we now have Mobil 1 5w-40, Redline 5w-40 and Amsoil 5w-40. [Cool] [ March 02, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Top