Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

How do you account for the low metal wear (except iron)?

I believe the high iron content is elemental iron in solution and doesn't really cause any harm. then again, 20 parts per million is not catastrophic.
If I saw your prior reports iron looks to be trending down too.

Miles on Civic - 643,741 / 1,036,000 km
Miles on oil - 5,170
Amsoil 0W-30 AZO
Amsoil Ea15k20 oil filter
Dual Filtermag CT-3.2
Dimple domed magnetic oil drain plug
Afe Dry Pro S air filter
5 ozs LiquiMoly Anti-friction

oil report 8-24-2022_Page_1.jpeg

Last edited:
So the coolant ingress is not from the gasket?

Crack somewhere?

Have you pressure checked and done other tests?
No Pablo, no tests done. I am starting to think along the same lines that you are. There may be a crack somewhere.
I had the head tested and machined so it's not that, maybe in the block somewhere.

If the head wasn’t machined right, coolant may be seeping from the gasket even if it isn’t blown. Or, as is being suggested, there could be a crack in the block.
Either way, the coolant getting into the oil is accelerating wear badly - Fe is increasing, and so is oil consumption, so the bores would appear to be almost done at this point.
I’d call it a day on this engine, it doesn’t owe you anything, and at a minimum you are looking at a full rebuild if the block isn’t cracked.

If the head wasn’t machined right, coolant may be seeping from the gasket even if it isn’t blown. Or, as is being suggested, there could be a crack in the block.
Either way, the coolant getting into the oil is accelerating wear badly - Fe is increasing, and so is oil consumption, so the bores would appear to be almost done at this point.
I’d call it a day on this engine, it doesn’t owe you anything, and at a minimum you are looking at a full rebuild if the block isn’t cracked.

I have another engine, I'm just curious to see how far I can take this one.

Iron took a jump along with the potassium and sodium. Are you planning to do the head gasket soon?
Iron did increase somewhat. Did you look at the aluminum ppms, it is lower than the universal average. The Civic engine of course
has an aluminum block.

Any inexpensive syn 5w-30 and change it more often. You’ve gotten your money out of this engine. But run it another year and see how it does. Cool that you’ve got an engine ready!

Back