Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Interesting report. I wonder if the iron uptick is from the recent head gasket leak despite the coolant washing out by now?

Nothing extreme, but some noise closer to the runs with confirmed coolant.

As always, nice to read the reports on this Civic.

I’m considering buying a pair of filter magnets.

Would these be the equivalent to what you own?

Itslimjim,

I don't think Filtermag has a magnetic filter of the same series as I have in that size. I use an industrial CT series filter.
The MC series is pretty strong, much stronger than the SS series of filters. I use the 300 size.

Itslimjim,

I don't think Filtermag has a magnetic filter of the same series as I have in that size. I use an industrial CT series filter.
The MC series is pretty strong, much stronger than the SS series of filters. I use the 300 size.

Is there a place to get the CT series? I’m also not sure which spec model to look for when it comes to filter size. Are the measurements based on the outer diameter of the filter housing?

By the way, I meant to ask you about your oil filter choice. I was considering going with Amzoil or the royal purple equivalent; as the Ea15K13 has been out of stock.

I think newer Hondas or similar are interchangeable with the Ea15K20. Is there an updated total media surface area between those two to confirm that it’s filter media is actually more? I’ve noticed it’s less or the same when the center tube’s diameter is wider than the taller 13.

I saw an updated RP 10-2687 (13) with 24” x 2.15” of media for about 52” of total surface cut up on YT.

^RP is now using a nylon center cage. I haven’t seen the equivalent to the Amsoil you run cut open; a RP 10-2808 with the updated center tube and adjusted total media area.

An older style of that RP PN had 36.75” of media length, but I didn’t see the media Height measurement listed; it’s a shorter filter so roughly 1.5” is my estimate; which would be about four more inches of surface area when squared.

^Here is the video of that one and the Amsoil 20; which has 32.25” of media.

For the RP, I’m expecting them to update their entire line to the nylon cage. So, I don’t know if the updated design still has more media or not.

Anyway, sorry to get OT, but looking for clarification on the filtermag options, where to by, and if you have more input on the Amsoil Ea15k20, as that might be the only option due to stock issues for the 13s.

Last edited:
Interesting report. I wonder if the iron uptick is from the recent head gasket leak despite the coolant washing out by now?

Nothing extreme, but some noise closer to the runs with confirmed coolant.

As always, nice to read the reports on this Civic.

I’m considering buying a pair of filter magnets.

Would these be the equivalent to what you own?

Itslimjim,

The MC series is pretty strong, much stronger than the SS series of filters.
Is there a place to get the CT series? I’m also not sure which spec model to look for when it comes to filter size. Are the measurements based on the outer diameter of the filter housing?

By the way, I meant to ask you about your oil filter choice. I was considering going with Amzoil or the royal purple equivalent; as the Ea15K13 has been out of stock.

I think newer Hondas or similar are interchangeable with the Ea15K20. Is there an updated total media surface area between those two to confirm that it’s filter media is actually more? I’ve noticed it’s less or the same when the center tube’s diameter is wider than the taller 13.

I saw an updated RP 10-2687 (13) with 24” x 2.15” of media for about 52” of total surface cut up on YT.

^RP is now using a nylon center cage. I haven’t seen the equivalent to the Amsoil you run cut open; a RP 10-2808 with the updated center tube and adjusted total media area.

An older style of that RP PN had 36.75” of media length, but I didn’t see the media Height measurement listed; it’s a shorter filter so roughly 1.5” is my estimate; which would be about four more inches of surface area when squared.

^Here is the video of that one and the Amsoil 20; which has 32.25” of media.

For the RP, I’m expecting them to update their entire line to the nylon cage. So, I don’t know if the updated design still has more media or not.

Anyway, sorry to get OT, but looking for clarification on the filtermag options, where to by, and if you have more input on the Amsoil Ea15k20, as that might be the only option due to stock issues for the 13s.

I got the CT series at the power plant where I used to work. It's my understanding that Filtermag will not sell CT'S to the public.

Royal Purple filters are said to be similar to the Amsoil filter, I can't be sure.
Go to the Filtermag web site, there is a lot of information there.

@harry j Oh, I see you have a special exclusive kind of magnets. Officially jealous! Just kidding. Ok, I’ll check out what their website says for the MC series instead of the SS. Thanks!

Itslimjim,
It looks like the Filtermag MC (motorcycle) only comes in the medium size. Can your FIT accept the larger Amsoil Ea15k20 oil filter?
If so, you can use the Filtermag MC300 filters.

Itslimjim,
It looks like the Filtermag MC (motorcycle) only comes in the medium size. Can your FIT accept the larger Amsoil Ea15k20 oil filter?
If so, you can use the Filtermag MC300 filters.
Thanks @harry j , I was just looking this evening for options and noticed the same thing. I believe the Fit can safely mount both size filters, but would need to confirm. I may want to stay with the 2.7” OD filters. Would the SS250 really be that much weaker than the MC300? If I can go up a size to the 20, I suppose it’s an easy choice. To be honest, I was interested in finding out the total filter media surface area between the wider vs the taller filters for these engines.

PS: Also, I actually did find Filtermag’s Industrial CT3.2 and it’s a whopping $630 for the pair! 😃

Here is the link:

Thanks @harry j , I was just looking this evening for options and noticed the same thing. I believe the Fit can safely mount both size filters, but would need to confirm. I may want to stay with the 2.7” OD filters. Would the SS250 really be that much weaker than the MC300? If I can go up a size to the 20, I suppose it’s an easy choice. To be honest, I was interested in finding out the total filter media surface area between the wider vs the taller filters for these engines.

PS: Also, I actually did find Filtermag’s Industrial CT3.2 and it’s a whopping $630 for the pair! 😃

Here is the link:

YIKES!

Miles on Civic - 632,112 / 1,017,285 km
Miles this interval - 6,347
Amsoil 0W-30 (AZO) oil
Amsoil EAO36 oil filter
2x Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic oil filters
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
AFE Dry Pro S air filter
5 OZS Liquimoly anti-friction
4-8-2022.jpg

Hey @harry j ol’ buddy, ol’ pal… I was gonna ask you to possibly run an interval without all the magnets, just to compare and see how much they help wear numbers but with increasing iron particles happening naturally, I think it’s too late for that now. Seems like the engine is toast. 🥺😫🫣

😏😁😎

Hey @harry j ol’ buddy, ol’ pal… I was gonna ask you to possibly run an interval without all the magnets, just to compare and see how much they help wear numbers but with increasing iron particles happening naturally, I think it’s too late for that now. Seems like the engine is toast. 🥺😫🫣

😏😁😎
Artem, I had considered a run without the magnets, but decided against it.
I will post a photo of the magnetic oil drain plug next oil change. There is very little metal on it, kind of like a metallic paste.

What speed were you plowing at, Harry? That’s ridiculously good gas mileage even compared to todays high tech autos which barely touch the upper 30s mpg AT BEST. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I kept my speed between 65 and 70 mph, traffic allowing. I ran with a tail wind all the way to West Palm Beach.
The return leg was the opposite, just not as strong as the tail wind.

Some years ago, I drove from Eurica Springs, AR all the way to Nashville, TN some 504 miles and used only 10 gallons of fuel.

You would think todays cars could get better mileage

My 92 civic hatch was the VX model. It had a lean burning motor by not fully opening one of the two intake valves per cylinder. While I didn’t get the kind of fuel economy it could manage new, I still got far better than my Honda fit which is 15 years newer. I think my low average was 35 miles per gallon

Miles on Civic- 524,636
Miles on oil - 14,198
Amsoil 0W-30 AZO
Amsoil EAo36 oil filter
Twin Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic oil filters
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs Liquimoly
47 ozs make up oil

Blackstone Labs; We're still tracking the possibility of a coolant leak for your Civic, and the increase in Potassium suggests it's
getting worse. Sodium hasn't increased much, but you'll want to keep and eye out on your end in case the coolant
level is getting low on you. Copper increased enough to mark too, but 6 ppm isn't really a lot of brass/bronze wear in the
grand scheme of things, so that's just to watch now too. The TBN came back OK at 2.6, and the PCread
17/16/14. WEsuggest cutting back to 10kK miles again because of the

Code
[/code]

Aluminum----------------4-------------------------------------------------4 universal average based on a 3,600 mile OCI

Chromium----------------1-------------------------------------------------1

Iron-------------------------20------------------------------------------------9

Copper--------------------6--------------------------------------------------3

Lead------------------------3-------------------------------------------------2

Tin--------------------------0--------------------------------------------------1

Molybdenum-------------325-----------------------------------------------85

Nickel-----------------------0--------------------------------------------------0

Manganese----------------0--------------------------------------------------0

Silver------------------------0--------------------------------------------------0

Titanium--------------------0--------------------------------------------------1

Potassium-----------------90-------------------------------------------------4

Boron------------------------40------------------------------------------------50

Silicon------------------------19-----------------------------------------------11

Sodium-----------------------22-----------------------------------------------43

Calcium----------------------1248---------------------------------------------2135

Magnesium------------------750-----------------------------------------------151

Phosphorus-----------------784-----------------------------------------------713

Zinc----------------------------823-----------------------------------------------833

Barium------------------------0---------------------------------------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F--------------------------66.7---------------------------------------------------57-67 (value should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C----------------------------12.06--------------------------------------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------------------------------390---------------------------------------------------->385
Fuel%--------------------------------------------------- Antifreeze %--------------------------------------------POS-------------------------------------------------0.0
Water %--------------------------------------------------0.0--------------------------------------------------- Insolubles %--------------------------------------------0.3---------------------------------------------------- TBN-------------------------------------------------------2.6---------------------------------------------------->1.0

Particle counts for ISO oil cleanliness code 17/16/14;

>= 2 microns---1,818 particles
>= 5---------------673
>= 10-------------186
>= 15-------------72
>=25--------------17
>=50--------------1
>=100------------0
[/QUOTE]
20 iron?😳 I was going to buy a FilterMag but not now... I would think with those "super strong" magnets they advertise, that iron would be lower than that. How's your air filter? Silicon seems high as well.

20 iron?😳 I was going to buy a FilterMag but not now... I would think with those "super strong" magnets they advertise, that iron would be lower than that. How's your air filter? Silicon seems high as well.

After running for 30 years you would be tired too.

Back