Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

How many miles on the engine you put in? It can’t have only 12k if it’s the same type of 31 year old engine??

researcher, the original engine was put out to pasture, it was burning too much oil. the present engine is pretty good, the only problem i have had with it is the rear main seal started to leak and was replaced.
ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Ya when I saw that new oil test that was looking a lot better, but hey more than 500k on the original is NOT bad at all! (y)

How many sets of tires have you replaced in all this time? How many miles do you get out of a set?
I have lost track, many tires! The Michelins i used over he years are no longer made. It is getting harder to find good 13" tires nowadays.
I am using Hankook synergy st tires now. I rate them very good, almost as good as the Michelins were.

I think you can run any name brand synthetic. But drop it to 10K OCI. Plan on a head gasket.

If you want to keep the car for another 100K or more, get the head gasket replaced now. Coolant in the oil will not be good for the bearings.

Did you tear down the old engine, see why it was burning so much oil? Would love to see some tear-down pics of an engine with that many miles on it.

Did you tear down the old engine, see why it was burning so much oil? Would love to see some tear-down pics of an engine with that many miles on it.

I would have liked to tear the oil engine down, but it is long gone.
At the last head gasket change, I noticed the pistons wiggled in the bores, so I think the rings were shot.

Miles on Civic - 667,213 / 1,073,775 km
Miles on oil - 6,023
Miles on spare engine - 18,213
Amsoil 0W-30 signature series oil
Ea15k20 Amsoil oil filter
dual Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic filters
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs Liquimoly anti-friction

View attachment 174922

Last edited:
No attachment to view. I’d really like to see it.
008-13-2023.jpg

Other than the rear main seal, I have had no problems with the "new" engine. I had a devil of a time trying to load the oil report from
Blackstone, a good dinner and a couple of bottles of suds made all the difference.

You give me aspirations to push my 2003 Civic. It's at 174k now, and my realistic expectations are that it lasts to 200k, which at the rate I'm driving now is about 3.5 more years. But who knows?

You give me aspirations to push my 2003 Civic. It's at 174k now, and my realistic expectations are that it lasts to 200k, which at the rate I'm driving now is about 3.5 more years. But who knows?
himemsys, take care if it and it will take care of you.

Changing fluids more often than the OEM recommends is vital. Like the man once said "you can pay me now or you can pay me later"
Later is when it all falls apart.

I still have the original un-rebuilt power steering pump, I attribute that to changing the fluid often.

Back