Ammunition Cost Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for S&Gs I’ve been searching for Winchester 115gr 9mm FMJ At any price and have been unable to find it in stock
Why Winchester specifically? 115gr 9mm FMJ ammo is practically a commodity. Don't narrow your focus so much and you'll have better luck.

Why Winchester specifically? 115gr 9mm FMJ ammo is practically a commodity. Don't narrow your focus so much and you'll have better luck.
Many firearms run better/more reliable on a specific ammo, maybe that's the case here. I've got a couple .22LR's that won't run good at all on Winchester but, will run on most other brands I've tried in them. I constantly getting failure to eject with Winchester. I used up what Winchester .22LR I had a few years ago and unless nothing else is available I don't plan to buy it again. Lots of people don't like Remington but, most of my .22's run as good or better on Remington than anything else.

Many firearms run better/more reliable on a specific ammo, maybe that's the case here. I've got a couple .22LR's that won't run good at all on Winchester but, will run on most other brands I've tried in them. I constantly getting failure to eject with Winchester. I used up what Winchester .22LR I had a few years ago and unless nothing else is available I don't plan to buy it again. Lots of people don't like Remington but, most of my .22's run as good or better on Remington than anything else.

Yes mine run the best on ammo I've hand loaded.

In my humble opinion..if your firearm (except .22) is picky on ammo its not a good thing. Eventually (in my experience) they become picky on everything. Again..just my experience.

Just picked up 9mm for 22cpr. Not exactly a record price but what I would consider pre-rona pricing. It was on the shelf at the local outfitters to boot.

now if only they had 5.56 loads...

Even if you manage to locate ammo and pay for it, you may not ever get it. Even though I reload, brownells(will never order from them again) had 230g ball 45ACP for 390 bucks for a K, if I'm using new brass, that is about what it cost me to load it. I ordred it, FEDEX stole it and now Brownell's says it "usually takes 30 days to process refunds"

If you work at the FEDEX sort facilities, you don't actually have to scavenge for this stuff, you just wait for it to cross the conveyor belt.

Cats that are in the competitive shooting circuits around here are running around like crackheads looking for small pistol and small rifle primers. I've been reloading since before BHO and I've never seen reloading supplies get like they are now but the ammo demand has stripped the supply so the prices have tripled on the popular calibers so people decide to jump into reloading and buy up those supplies as well, if you can find them, the ammo manufacturers are draining the primer pool, there are only 4 US companies who make primers. People who don't even reload are buying primers, hoping to trade them for finished ammo, noting wrong with that...just kinda hard to make the finished ammo without the primer.

Cats that are in the competitive shooting circuits around here are running around like crackheads looking for small pistol and small rifle primers. I've been reloading since before BHO and I've never seen reloading supplies get like they are now but the ammo demand has stripped the supply so the prices have tripled on the popular calibers so people decide to jump into reloading and buy up those supplies as well, if you can find them, the ammo manufacturers are draining the primer pool, there are only 4 US companies who make primers. People who don't even reload are buying primers, hoping to trade them for finished ammo, noting wrong with that...just kinda hard to make the finished ammo without the primer.
i have always said primers are the hardest part of a cartridge to self make. brass i can dig into the dirt at the local range and find. powder i can make like black powder. bullets i can make from lead. primers , not sure how to make that at home.

odd thing is the competitions here are still filling up with over 100 people at matches that shoot 200 to 300 rounds at a time. they must be able to find ammo somewhere

Saw bulk Winchester white box 9mm FMJ on-line for $0.80/round (500 for $399.99). That's around 4 times what was normal before the panic hit. Crazy stuff.

If you used 9x18mm Makarov you would still be able to find it today. Not nearly for what I paid when buying it up but still available.

I am enjoying the availability and pricing of some of the offbeat calibers I tend to be attracted to, but those are starting to rise simply because the ammo warehouses don't have much else to sell and the bills got to get paid.

Plentiful and I guess somewhat reasonable prices considering in my neck of the woods.
Picture taken yesterday.
IMG_20200916_140114198.jpg

I am enjoying the availability and pricing of some of the offbeat calibers I tend to be attracted to, but those are starting to rise simply because the ammo warehouses don't have much else to sell and the bills got to get paid.
If you are an Ammo warehouse seller there days?...you have PLENTY of money to pay bills!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back