Am I wasting money with Amsoil/Schaeffers?

Afternoon all. I realized today that, after years of browsing BITOG and testing different oils for different applications, I've become set in my ways as far as whats used. Amsoil XL goes in my 2011 Taurus, Amsoil Euro Classic goes in my 2015 Jetta, and Schaeffers 5w40 OTR Diesel oil goes in my 2017 Powerstroke 6.7. I do this because from the UOA'S I've seen, Amsoil and Schaeffers both offer a stout, robust oil for longer OCI's, not to mention i have close friends that are dealers for both, so access is easy. I'm wondering, however, if its worth it. For example, after buying a filter, the oil change on my taurus today was around $81 all in (Amsoil XL, Mobil 1 Extended oil filter). Realistically, I could probably do it for close to half that. Assuming money isn't an issue and I don't care enough to make the switch based on that, is it worth the extra coin I pay?

It is worth spending the coin. Both oils offer the needed protection and then some.

Is it worth the EXTRA coin? Honestly, it’s up to your wallet to answer.

Money isn't an issue, don't take that as a "flex" or anything, im not rich by any means, i just make an OK living lol

It is hard to say if the oils will make a difference . I look it as the engine will out last my ownership of the vehicle using Shell oil or Amsoil.

Last edited:
"Worth" is an individual concept only you can answer.

I have to be vendor/brand neutral in all things but FWIW I personally use a "top end" oil and have no regrets.

The overall benefit to me ( even if its nothing but a psychological panacea that isn't even realistically true) is "worth it" to me.

They do provide superior performance to the lesser brands- whether your machines and use require that additional performance is another matter.

That said, any properly spec'd oil with a proper chance schedule will give satisfactory performance at about 1/2 the cost of the top tier oils except "maybe" with extreme usage conditions.

Afternoon all. I realized today that, after years of browsing BITOG and testing different oils for different applications, I've become set in my ways as far as whats used. Amsoil XL goes in my 2011 Taurus, Amsoil Euro Classic goes in my 2015 Jetta, and Schaeffers 5w40 OTR Diesel oil goes in my 2017 Powerstroke 6.7. I do this because from the UOA'S I've seen, Amsoil and Schaeffers both offer a stout, robust oil for longer OCI's, not to mention i have close friends that are dealers for both, so access is easy. I'm wondering, however, if its worth it. For example, after buying a filter, the oil change on my taurus today was around $81 all in (Amsoil XL, Mobil 1 Extended oil filter). Realistically, I could probably do it for close to half that. Assuming money isn't an issue and I don't care enough to make the switch based on that, is it worth the extra coin I pay?

Are you a preferred customer? DO you buy it by the quart? I am a preferred customer and usually buy by the case when I buy Amsoil. That oil would cost just under $7 if you were a preferred customer and bought by the case which in your situation would be 2 oil changes. Excluding filters it would cost you just over $80 for the case. If you got the wix filter from amsoil too it would be about $51 per oil change. Or you could get the Amsoil filter for a little less than $20.

As for the classic it would also be just under $7 a quart but without knowing how much oil your engine takes or which engine you have it would probably be a similar amount as the XL or a little less since I see a few different capacities listed.

I don't know how much Amsoil costs. Mobil1 is as far as I go.
And I use a lotta Kirkland, QS, Valvoline.

To me, not it is not worth it. The engines I service over time have done very well with regular services.
AS others have posted, it is your money. Is there additional incremental benefit? Dunno.
But if Amsoil oils were demosnstrabilly better, I'm pretty sure everyone would know.

Good luck.

If you're doing mostly highway miles and extended OCI at 10k miles, according to hundreds of Blackstone lab reports virtually any API certified full synth off Wally's shelf with the filter changed at the 1/2 way mark of 5k miles will work. Amsoil is a good oil, I just feel the need to spend $80 on an oil change. PP for my 19 Sorento and ST full synth for my 03 Matrix, both every 5k miles with OEM filters works for me.

All i can say is all are very good oils, if you are satisfied then sleep good and forget it. Overthinking things usually ends up causing issues you didn't have before.

It depends on the engine in the vehicle really. Out of those three and not knowing what types of engines are in the two cars, the only one I would use anything special in is the Powerstroke. Then again, it's your money and whatever makes you sleep better at night.

heres The way I look at it.

if I reach a point where I can’t afford whatever oil change I want I need to drive a different vehicle.

I run expensive oils and ”cheaper” oils I buy on close out. I run UOA’s occasionally and the differences are slight to be honest with you. Will I continue to run some expensive oils? Absolutely

Back