Aluminum flecks in oil filter

Oil changes on my Atlas always made the garage smell like gasoline
Yep - same. Mostly short trips for ours. These are all the UOAs I've done, got 43K on it now.

N95203 (1)-page-001.jpg

Also of note, "my guy" wasn't overly concerned to hear about the metal glitter in the oil filter..."yeah, that can be pretty normal".
You probably going to get that car back with a simple thing fix(chain,guides, regular stuff) then continue to ring its neck for the next 70k. I hope that's the case.

Some people can't look sideways at a car for 60k miles. You doubled the power, ring its neck at the strip and the road course, beat it everyday, and "your guy" isn't concerned. Unbelievable.

Send that luck my way.

You probably going to get that car back with a simple thing fix(chain,guides, regular stuff) then continue to ring its neck for the next 70k. I hope that's the case.

Some people can't look sideways at a car for 60k miles. You doubled the power, ring its neck at the strip and the road course, beat it everyday, and "your guy" isn't concerned. Unbelievable.

Send that luck my way.
They are a performance shop with lots of race cars etc. so probalby used to seeing things like that...who knows. I hope it's minor but still waiting to hear back. My son works there part time so will be there today....I've told him to gather intel.

They are a performance shop with lots of race cars etc. so probalby used to seeing things like that...who knows. I hope it's minor but still waiting to hear back. My son works there part time so will be there today....I've told him to gather intel.
No doubt a top notch shop. I hope it's minor too.

If it is, and you post it, I'd be happy for you, but you finna get this curse work on the down low.

No doubt a top notch shop. I hope it's minor too.

If it is, and you post it, I'd be happy for you, but you finna get this curse work on the down low.
Oh I'm open about stuff like this and will post up what the diag is.

Oh I'm open about stuff like this and will post up what the diag is.
And I'm sure I'll be happy. However "wonderful" words and thought will be happening in my subconscious.

Just kidding. Best of luck. Hope for the best for that ba car.

Also of note, "my guy" wasn't overly concerned to hear about the metal glitter in the oil filter..."yeah, that can be pretty normal".
Yeah, could be "pretty normal" for engines that are beat hard. 😄

But your start-up noise probably still isn't "normal".

Yeah, could be "pretty normal" for engines that are beat hard. 😄

But your start-up noise probably still isn't "normal".
100% not normal but it's possible the al bits have no relation/could be independent....could have been there every oil change for all I know.

100% not normal but it's possible the al bits have no relation/could be independent....could have been there every oil change for all I know.
I've beat on cars pretty hard at times, and have found a few aluminum flakes in the oil filter, well after the engine was fully broken in. It's just a new level of "break-in". 😄

With the way filters are today, the flecks may have been in there from the get go. May not have even come from the engine.

With the way filters are today, the flecks may have been in there from the get go. May not have even come from the engine.
Oil filters aren't made out of aluminum ... so can't be from that.

I'd say that's unlikely for a Mann cartridge filter. I've seen an increase in al from the engine in the UOA as well keep in mind.

Still no word....they must be pretty backed up. Don't worry children...you'll be the first to know. Been dailying my W8...they are a small shop and told me they may need a few weeks as they were backed up.

Last edited:
Back