Aluminum flecks in oil filter

HAHAAHAHAHAH

It's not really crazy, if something was that serious I would have known by now. It will get sorted here this month. I figure the 41+ runs down the drags in the last few mos. would have more than destroyed it if this was "teetering on the edge of doom" type deal plus it's sporadic and with it on cold/hot starts only, it has to be oil-pressure related timing chain tensioner...but we will see and you'll hear it first here on the World Famous BITOG!
I really do hope she survives and you get her back up to snuff. I really do like the fact that it's a wagon.

Then again, I'm sitting back looking at what you're putting that car through with the video attached and I'm thinking to myself..... When I used to run turbo Subaru, one minor "tick" and rods get sent through the intake manifold, but you're full sending it and nothing.

This is bs. The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking you.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
View attachment 115071
Bad news is the upper/lower pieces are sold as a matched set.
They would have to be since the cam journals are line-bored when those two pieces are assembled. Seems like they chose the most complicated design possible to me.

The question is ... has anyone with one of these motors ever reported the cam-chain chewing on the top cover in the areas shown in post #118?

They would have to be since the cam journals are line-bored when those two pieces are assembled. Seems like they chose the most complicated design possible to me.

The question is ... has anyone with one of these motors ever reported the cam-chain chewing on the top cover in the areas shown in post #118?
With a noise like that, if it I'd a chain/guide issue, it would be a darn miracle that the engine did not jump timing. Furthermore, his vcds shows timing to be dead on.

Even though the noise seems to be coming from the front, noise can transfer from somewhere else. Engines are funny. Hence why my first thought was hpfp.

Secondly, that noise specifically reminded be of 4b11t engines I worked on diagnosed to be Rod knock, timing issues. It turned out to be the oil pump.

Everyone is screaming timing chains. I'm saying 1. Oil pump 2. Fuel pump.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Here you go. Don't forget to smash that like and subscribe! 🤣🤣🤣

Your noise almost sounds like a loose motor mount or exhaust system mount. And you say it goes away after the engine warms up?

Here's a couple of other videos of the same basic engine (I think ?) that have a similar sound, but not exactly.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
After watching this video, which seems to be the same basic engine design, it looks like the cam-chain on the cam sprockets isn't close to the "valve cover", but it would be the front cam sprocket cover instead in that area.

The higher level of aluminum in the UOA could just be from beating on the engine more, and not even related to the noise. And if the noise goes away after warm-up then that has to be taken into account as a clue to the root cause.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2023
I really do hope she survives and you get her back up to snuff. I really do like the fact that it's a wagon.

Then again, I'm sitting back looking at what you're putting that car through with the video attached and I'm thinking to myself..... When I used to run turbo Subaru, one minor "tick" and rods get sent through the intake manifold, but you're full sending it and nothing.

This is bs. The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking you.
Subarus are straight trash...that's why...hahahah
After watching this video, which seems to be the same basic engine design, it looks like the cam-chain on the cam sprockets isn't close to the "valve cover", but it would be the front cam sprocket cover instead in that area.

The higher level of aluminum in the UOA could just be from beating on the engine more, and not even related to the noise. And if the noise goes away after warm-up then that has to be taken into account as a clue to the root cause.

You are missing that my oil filter had al in it.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2023
Your noise almost sounds like a loose motor mount or exhaust system mount. And you say it goes away after the engine warms up?

Here's a couple of other videos of the same basic engine (I think ?) that have a similar sound, but not exactly.

I have new engine and trans mounts. DP...maybe? It goes away after startup.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
You are missing that my oil filter had al in it.
Nope ... but like I said, maybe the AL is just from beating it hard and coincidental. Until you find the source of the noise (internal or external to the engine), you can't make an affirmative root cause connection.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I have new engine and trans mounts. DP...maybe? It goes away after startup.
Well, then it's obviously temperature sensitive if that's a repetitive symptom. Maybe you have a chain tensioner that doesn't work correctly until the engine and oil warms up some (?). Or maybe it's something in the exhaust system that changes when the exhaust system get hot, or .... ?????. Get under the engine area and investigate further for the noise source.

Mine is still alive.....and eating STIs and WRXs noise or not.
Came in with the double disrespect.

That's fine. I still like my Subaru. Half the time, they work all the time.

Just watch out for the 09 and 10 model year WRX. A well tuned one on the stock vf52 with a half decent driver will run out of your life.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2023
Came in with the double disrespect.

That's fine. I still like my Subaru. Half the time, they work all the time.

Just watch out for the 09 and 10 model year WRX. A well tuned one on the stock vf52 with a half decent driver will run out of your life.
I like them too truth be told but just seems like more drama to tune/add power vs these MK7 VWs.

I like them too truth be told but just seems like more drama to tune/add power vs these MK7 VWs.
More drama is not even touching it. Man, don't even get me started.

Biggest reason I went back to vw/audi was the interior quality disparity between them.

When I hit a small pothole and my rear view mirror came unglued from the windshield and my heat vent popped out....I was done. And I mean SMALL pothole.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2023
The plot thickens.....the Si is a non-issue/not important here. VOA for this oil showed 10ppm of Si. Now to just wait for BS to get me the UOA so I can see the Al.

The plot thickens.....the Si is a non-issue/not important here. VOA for this oil showed 10ppm of Si. Now to just wait for BS to get me the UOA so I can see the Al.
You take her in to that shop yet?? If so, what's their diagnosis???