MAN-HU6013Z cut open...looking for glitter...

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
It's been ~8K miles since my timing chain tensioner and all associated bits were replaced after having a failure around somewhere around 70K (repaired at ~83.5K and now at ~92K). I'll link the post here:

This is the second oil change since then so expect to see iron/aluminum values continue to drop off when I get the UOA back.

Still seeing a few bits in there but could just be remnants of the timing chain tensioner failure....unfortunately I didn't cut the last filter open (forgot). I've never seen any of the "carbonaceous crud" that some have posted after using HPL...I've had HPL in there for over a year and have used the EC as well as LM engine flush many times previously....so I doubt there is really anything to clean out.

20230417_140233.jpg
20230417_140239.jpg

For a car that's ran hard on the track, seeing a few flakes in the filter wouldn't be a big surprise IMO. But yeah, could be some remnants of the cam-chain tensioner failure still flushing out.

For a car that's ran hard on the track, seeing a few flakes in the filter wouldn't be a big surprise IMO. But yeah, could be some remnants of the cam-chain tensioner failure still flushing out.
That's what my folks at the shop say too - they build/deal with race cars and said you get that.

Why do some get HPL to "Clean" while others don't see anything on the filter? A well running engine? Just curious if anyone would have an idea. I'm glad you mentioned this phenomenon since all I see is other post talking about crud in the filter after running it.

Too bad on the timing chain but things break unfortunately. I bet you're happy it's fixed now & just want to flush the leftover debris out. Did it look real flaky? Other than some white spots the filter doesn't look too bad other than being dark from several thousand mile run of 8k?

Why do some get HPL to "Clean" while others don't see anything on the filter? A well running engine? Just curious if anyone would have an idea. I'm glad you mentioned this phenomenon since all I see is other post talking about crud in the filter after running it.

Too bad on the timing chain but things break unfortunately. I bet you're happy it's fixed now & just want to flush the leftover debris out. Did it look real flaky? Other than some white spots the filter doesn't look too bad other than being dark from several thousand mile run of 8k?
The cleaning thing....I think is WAY over-hyped here. I use HPL b/c it will stand up to abuse, not b/c I'm cleaning anything. My engine should have been clean to start with - all 502 Euro oils (Liquimoly primarily) along with the preventitive LM Engine Flush before many of my changes since new. To me you use HPL for either very long service intervals due to the quality of the base stock/additive packs or like me, trying to keep a tuned small turbo engine that sees lots of hard use in-check. So many folks sware just use a good oil and no issues then turn around and go on about the cleaning properties of this oil from the esters...shouldn't have anything to clean out :ROFLMAO:.

Sorry my photos stink - yes, those white things are actually metallic looking aluminum (no mag) bits. Just a handful so things are looking good.

341873621_1379487489552629_3813912639452898105_n.jpg

Last edited:
The cleaning thing....I think is WAY over-hyped here. I use HPL b/c it will stand up to abuse, not b/c I'm cleaning anything. My engine should have been clean to start with - all 502 Euro oils (Liquimoly primarily) along with the preventitive LM Engine Flush before many of my changes since new. To me you use HPL for either very long service intervals due to the quality of the base stock/additive packs or like me, trying to keep a tuned small turbo engine that sees lots of hard use in-check. So many folks sware just use a good oil and no issues then turn around and go on about the cleaning properties of this oil from the esters...shouldn't have anything to clean out :ROFLMAO:.
I would feel that way too if a lot of folks said they were experiencing cleaning in their engines & I never seen any with my own ODI. LOL

Sorry my photos stink - yes, those white things are actually metallic looking aluminum (no mag) bits. Just a handful so things are looking good.
Love the graphs! After engine work the wear metals always went up afterwards & quite substantially after a new turbo along with timing chain repair. Was it run harder after the turbo repair or do you think it was just breaking in the new turbo? I think the timing chain was the quickest/highest wear issue to date. Do you agree?

View attachment 151075

I would feel that way too if a lot of folks said they were experiencing cleaning in their engines & I never seen any with my own ODI. LOL

Love the graphs! After engine work the wear metals always went up afterwards & quite substantially after a new turbo along with timing chain repair. Was it run harder after the turbo repair or do you think it was just breaking in the new turbo? I think the timing chain was the quickest/highest wear issue to date. Do you agree?

View attachment 151075
I have no doubt the HPL oil has a cleaning component and their EC is a neat product but I guess my engines are just really clean to start with b/c I was always using good oil and reguarly changing at short-ish OCIs.

Spikes are from turbo break in and you can see the used turbo (first one) showed less than a new one (second one) which is what you would expect!

It's been ~8K miles since my timing chain tensioner and all associated bits were replaced after having a failure around somewhere around 70K (repaired at ~83.5K and now at ~92K). I'll link the post here:

This is the second oil change since then so expect to see iron/aluminum values continue to drop off when I get the UOA back.

Still seeing a few bits in there but could just be remnants of the timing chain tensioner failure....unfortunately I didn't cut the last filter open (forgot). I've never seen any of the "carbonaceous crud" that some have posted after using HPL...I've had HPL in there for over a year and have used the EC as well as LM engine flush many times previously....so I doubt there is really anything to clean out.

View attachment 151059View attachment 151060
It may just be the lighting, but it does look like there's some carbon in the creases of the middle pleats in the first media picture.

And yes, the Euro additive package (502 00, LL-01, 229.5...etc) is more robust, which is again one of the reasons I had hoped Dave could blend me up that 0W-20 using it. So I'm not surprised that you don't see the same sort of material liberated as folks using the basic API additive package are.

And of course some engines run far dirtier than others. If your engine results in a TSB from AMSOIL about plugging the filter, there's a pretty good chance it's generating more garbage than most ;)

It may just be the lighting, but it does look like there's some carbon in the creases of the middle pleats in the first media picture.

And yes, the Euro additive package (502 00, LL-01, 229.5...etc) is more robust, which is again one of the reasons I had hoped Dave could blend me up that 0W-20 using it. So I'm not surprised that you don't see the same sort of material liberated as folks using the basic API additive package are.

And of course some engines run far dirtier than others. If your engine results in a TSB from AMSOIL about plugging the filter, there's a pretty good chance it's generating more garbage than most ;)
It's just my crappy photos - there isn't anything there. Just a few small fleks of aluminum.

I have no doubt the HPL oil has a cleaning component and their EC is a neat product but I guess my engines are just really clean to start with b/c I was always using good oil and reguarly changing at short-ish OCIs.

Spikes are from turbo break in and you can see the used turbo (first one) showed less than a new one (second one) which is what you would expect!
If you flush your engine regularly, as you stated, that might be why it’s already still clean.
Im a believer in the effectiveness of a flush because of my personal experience with sticking lifters resolved as a result.

Which engine was the subject of a TSB from AMSOI concerning plugging up filters?
Just curious.
Both the HEMI (with the smaller filter, so not the 6.4L or the earlier 5.7L engines) and the GM LS-family engines that spec the same smaller filter.

Both the HEMI (with the smaller filter, so not the 6.4L or the earlier 5.7L engines) and the GM LS-family engines that spec the same smaller filter.
Ok, that explains why the oil in my Hemi is already dark like a day into an OCI.
Good to know cuz I sometimes just leave my filters on when I change the oil. Guess I won’t with the Hemi

Ok, that explains why the oil in my Hemi is already dark like a day into an OCI.
Good to know cuz I sometimes just leave my filters on when I change the oil. Guess I won’t with the Hemi
What year and vehicle? And which filter are you using?

Back