Aluminum flecks in oil filter

You take her in to that shop yet?? If so, what's their diagnosis???
No, but I just did go beat on it. hahahahaha. I need the UOA from this change then I'll hit the shop to discuss. No noise today.

No, but I just did go beat on it. hahahahaha. I need the UOA from this change then I'll hit the shop to discuss. No noise today.
You just haaaaaddddddd to mention the fact that you beat on it with no issues. Go ahead, rub it in the ex turbo Subaru owner's face.

I'm really curious about the diagnosis and the fix.

You just haaaaaddddddd to mention the fact that you beat on it with no issues. Go ahead, rub it in the ex turbo Subaru owner's face.

I'm really curious about the diagnosis and the fix.
It's ok, just go rip a fat vape and adjust your flat-brimmed hat. AHAHHAAHAHA J/K man...

I'm of course v. curious as well!

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my HPFP and/or timing chains to let loose
But he's full sending this car every day with the issue he's having. Looking at the video, I'd park it.

Then again, if he takes it to the shop and gets a clean bill of health and continues to drive the next 50k, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a bit mad. I'd be glad for him, but deep down inside, I'd be mad.

It's ok, just go rip a fat vape and adjust your flat-brimmed hat. AHAHHAAHAHA J/K man...

I'm of course v. curious as well!
Don't forget the Subie Fest lanyard.

Sad part about it is that I'm puffing on a Vuse(quitting smoking) while reading that post with a subie fest lanyard attached to my Audi key fob.

I will be removing that lanyard today.

Don't forget the Subie Fest lanyard.

Sad part about it is that I'm puffing on a Vuse(quitting smoking) while reading that post with a subie fest lanyard attached to my Audi key fob.

I will be removing that lanyard today.
Don't be the stereotype man!

No noise today.
Sounds like an intermittant issue, could be a chain tensioner not workung right 100% of the time. Does this engine have fine filter screens in the path(s) that feed oil to the cam chain tensioners?

Sounds like an intermittant issue, could be a chain tensioner not workung right 100% of the time. Does this engine have fine filter screens in the path(s) that feed oil to the cam chain tensioners?
I have no clue.

Yes, I've been pointing out that this is intermittant and hence why the concern doesn't have me losing sleep at night/not driving the car - no codes, no power loss, no anything...just a noise from time to time at start up. I definately want it sorted out and to understand the noise. The al in the filter isn't normal to me so there has to be a connection but then again, I've never opened my filters so who knows, maybe 100% normal for my car/my use.

You question on the fine screens...that was a HUGE issue for my Passat W8, that engine was plagued wiht screen that would clog or come apart causing cam tensioner failures. Mine did have that issue but a can of Seafoam sorted it believe it or not.

Just changed out the oil at ~450 miles (this is part of a bit of testing I'm doing with the HPL oil(s)) - filter was clean/no aluminum. Fresh HPL cutom Euor 5W40 in for the rest of the year that will include 2 track days in early Nov. BS says my UOA on the last stuff will be here by end of week and my new wheels will be here hopefully early next week so need to get my tires mounted so can hit the shop and chat with those cats.

Ok, here's the UOA for that run. Si is a no-worry - VOA for this oil has 10ppm and not because I run an open intake/K&N. Iron a bit higher than normal as well as the Al which only ticked up 2 ppm since the mid-OCI UOA (the one before the lastest) I did after beating on it in GA/NC/TN in May. Note that I did ad some fresh to top it off after sampling the mid-OCI UOA which could account for some of the variance since then. Also did over 40 runs down the drag track since that mid-OCI UOA as well.

Q15510-page-001.jpg

Does BS always show low viscosity numbers on every OA they run? Those numbers look like a 5-30.
Every 40w I've ever run ends up as a 30.....and it seems common across the VW MQB 4-cylinders.

Back